Attendance & Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

The University of Minnesota released actual attendance figures (tickets scanned) for their Nov. 10th and 17th games with Purdue and Northwestern. Just over 15,000 for each game. With a Twin Cities metro population of 3.6 million. And they sell beer, which probably didn't make much of a difference considering the temps were in the 20's. Looks like they need some bigger oars to Row the Boat !

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      The University of Minnesota released actual attendance figures (tickets scanned) for their Nov. 10th and 17th games with Purdue and Northwestern. Just over 15,000 for each game. With a Twin Cities metro population of 3.6 million. And they sell beer, which probably didn't make much of a difference considering the temps were in the 20's. Looks like they need some bigger oars to Row the Boat !
      It'd be interesting to see whether opponent, Gophers' record, ticket prices, or weather was/were the primary factor(s) influencing attendance. Looks like they fell over 2k short of selling out their homecoming game against Iowa too.

Random question -- when you think about regional FBS schools, do you think Jacks are more similar to a school like Gophers, Iowa, or someone else entirely?

I tend to lean toward Hawkeyes, due somewhat to what I see as similarities between Stig and Ferentz as well as Iowa traditionally being competitive while more heralded schools like Ohio State receive more attention (NDSU being Jacks' "Ohio State")

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
        It'd be interesting to see whether opponent, Gophers' record, ticket prices, or weather was/were the primary factor(s) influencing attendance. Looks like they fell over 2k short of selling out their homecoming game against Iowa too.

Random question -- when you think about regional FBS schools, do you think Jacks are more similar to a school like Gophers, Iowa, or someone else entirely?

I tend to lean toward Hawkeyes, due somewhat to what I see as similarities between Stig and Ferentz as well as Iowa traditionally being competitive while more heralded schools like Ohio State receive more attention (NDSU being Jacks' "Ohio State")
        They put some pretty high personal seat licensing fees on season tickets two or three years ago and things have trended downhill ever since.

Comment

Someone else entirely! Tell somebody around here that we are playing Towson in the playoffs and the first question will be who are they followed by where are they from ( which I didn't know until I looked it up). Then try and explain the playoffs and what division this is. We are not close in comparison to any FBS school. The schools you mention all have some national recognition FCS schools do not. Look at the playoff bracket and how many teams would the average fan know anything about let alone where they are from? I have no clue how to change it but it is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
            Someone else entirely! Tell somebody around here that we are playing Towson in the playoffs and the first question will be who are they followed by where are they from ( which I didn't know until I looked it up). Then try and explain the playoffs and what division this is. We are not close in comparison to any FBS school. The schools you mention all have some national recognition FCS schools do not. Look at the playoff bracket and how many teams would the average fan know anything about let alone where they are from? I have no clue how to change it but it is what it is.
            You went in a different direction with the question, although the process you described can be replicated fairly easily with FBS schools as well. How many non-college football fans do you think would assume that Iowa State and Iowa play in the same conference?

My question was intended to be similar to asking something like "What NFL team do you think ___ CFL team is similar to?" not to say that any FCS school is directly equivalent to an FBS one, although I do think schools like NDSU and SDSU have more recognition than you seem to give them credit for.

Comment

Kind of like, which one of these oranges is like this apple?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Kind of like, which one of these oranges is like this apple?
                Hmm, sure I guess. Kudos to you for recognizing that if one digs a little deeper, similarities can be discovered between objects that superficial characteristics suggests are only different.

Another perspective might be -- the Jacks don't have a game for over a week, maybe bigticket or others might like to participate in the FBS-FCS "thought exercise" (notwithstanding metaphorical fruit snark that may occur).

Tell you what, if you go to the game on 12/1, I'll buy a concession item of your choice (with a $5 limit). Your posts sometimes make it seem like you could use a little kindness in your life.

Comment

You went in a different direction with the question, although the process you described can be replicated fairly easily with FBS schools as well. How many non-college football fans do you think would assume that Iowa State and Iowa play in the same conference?

My question was intended to be similar to asking something like "What NFL team do you think ___ CFL team is similar to?" not to say that any FCS school is directly equivalent to an FBS one, although I do think schools like NDSU and SDSU have more recognition than you seem to give them credit for.
                  You could be correct on some recognition but non-college football fans will recognize the name Iowa and Iowa state long before SDSU and NDSU. We get more recognition by making the NCAA men's basketball tournament than if we were to win the football championship and it's not even close. I travel a lot and when talk turns to college sports and I tell them my team it's always " ya your the jackrabbits, I had you in my bracket". For some reason our mascot does seem to stick with people! I'm really not trying to start an argument just that FCS football can be a tough sell.

Comment

You could be correct on some recognition but non-college football fans will recognize the name Iowa and Iowa state long before SDSU and NDSU. We get more recognition by making the NCAA men's basketball tournament than if we were to win the football championship and it's not even close. I travel a lot and when talk turns to college sports and I tell them my team it's always " ya your the jackrabbits, I had you in my bracket". For some reason our mascot does seem to stick with people! I'm really not trying to start an argument just that FCS football can be a tough sell.
                    Yeah, I didn't see it as an argument, even if others might've. No denying that Iowa and Iowa State are generally better known, but you mentioned more specific knowledge, like conference affiliations, and I think a fair number of folks, especially non-sports fans, in our region lack such knowledge for even FBS schools.

The academic recognition is great, but wouldn't you say that's tangentially related to drivers of attendance? In other words, awareness of Iowa and Iowa State solely as academic institutions, particularly if knowledge is minimally connected to sports/athletics, is among the less influential attendance factors. Whereas, the casual to avid sports fans, whose awareness of attributes like conference affiliations, football subdivision hierarchies, etc., representing more fruitful marketing targets may be more susceptible to ads noting consecutive playoff appearances, playoff wins, alums in NFL, players being scouted, etc.

Your mention of the NCAA bracket/bracketology also highlights how MBB (and sometimes WBB) have capitalized on even non-sports fans' propensity to participate in activities like office bracket pools and competitions hosted by companies like Yahoo. Too bad the FCS couldn't duplicate that with a smaller-scale "You've Tried Busting the MBB Bracket, How About Giving the FCS One a Shot?"-type campaign, as there are obviously more teams involved than the CFB.
                    Last edited by jakejc795; 11-23-2018, 02:52 PM. Reason: Punctuation

Comment

I'd pay $5 a month to not have this thread show up in the new posts section on this board.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

RO: Raise that to 7.50 / month and I'll make it happen.

��

(Yes, everyone, I am kidding)

Comment

Alcohol sales at NCAA events is a no-brainer. At $5-10 per beer, volume drinking won’t be much of a problem. Sell to anyone over 21, even those in the student section. People need to stop overthinking this issue.

The bigger problem is quality competition. We had 0 of that come to Brookings this year. If I’m paying $120 bucks to take my family to a game, I want to see a close one. We need three levels of NCAA football, not two. I like the Jacks and Bison playing in the middle level, with the rest of the MVFC in the lowest level. What I’m proposing isn’t too outlandish, as many lower level FBS conferences want a separate playoff; one they actually have a chance to qualify for. Wouldn’t it be great to see schools like Wyoming, Colorado St, Utah St, and Nevada come to Brookings?

Comment

Originally posted by my view View Post
                            Alcohol sales at NCAA events is a no-brainer. At $5-10 per beer, volume drinking won’t be much of a problem. Sell to anyone over 21, even those in the student section. People need to stop overthinking this issue.

The bigger problem is quality competition. We had 0 of that come to Brookings this year. If I’m paying $120 bucks to take my family to a game, I want to see a close one. We need three levels of NCAA football, not two. I like the Jacks and Bison playing in the middle level, with the rest of the MVFC in the lowest level. What I’m proposing isn’t too outlandish, as many lower level FBS conferences want a separate playoff; one they actually have a chance to qualify for. Wouldn’t it be great to see schools like Wyoming, Colorado St, Utah St, and Nevada come to Brookings?
                            Agree, referring to alcohol sales, if people behave, it's absolutely no problem, and most, if not all do behave, so may as well get the revenue.

Comment

Originally posted by my view View Post
                              What I’m proposing isn’t too outlandish, as many lower level FBS conferences want a separate playoff; one they actually have a chance to qualify for. Wouldn’t it be great to see schools like Wyoming, Colorado St, Utah St, and Nevada come to Brookings?
                              Wow! This is really interesting to me. I have never thought of the group of 5 leftovers coming back down to provide competition to make the FCS step up. This would be really intriguing to me to see what would happen overall. Good original post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My take on booze at games is as follows: I have watched games from the balcony where beer has been available to me both free & at a charge. I am going to choose to forgo the option in the for due to the fact that it becomes a social event and I lose track of the game and don't cheer like I should. Personal preference only. But I like to be engaged in the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X