Attendance & Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

I wish that people would offer up suggestions to improve gameday rather than spending their time coming up with excuses as to why they don't show up to support the team. I have a lot of friends that describe themselves as "die hard" Jackrabbit fans, but will flake on attending games at the drop of a hat.

All i heard when the team was 7-4 was that once they started winning more games the people would show up, well the team is winning and those same people aren't coming to games. Now their excuse is that it is too expensive or the weather was too bad. My favorite are the folks that use the excuse of it being "cold" at the game, but yet they have no issue bundling up to go hunting.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      I wish that people would offer up suggestions to improve gameday rather than spending their time coming up with excuses as to why they don't show up to support the team. I have a lot of friends that describe themselves as "die hard" Jackrabbit fans, but will flake on attending games at the drop of a hat.

All i heard when the team was 7-4 was that once they started winning more games the people would show up, well the team is winning and those same people aren't coming to games. Now their excuse is that it is too expensive or the weather was too bad. My favorite are the folks that use the excuse of it being "cold" at the game, but yet they have no issue bundling up to go hunting.
      Agree with the last two lines totally. You could say the same for Basketball in some ways. We have been very spoiled the last several years.

The biggest challenge in my eyes is that we are not in a town of 100,000+ residents. Look at things in Fargo. It's a bigger city and it is THE place to be for fans, sponsors, business, and their atmosphere is awesome. They are into it on a level that very few here approached.

I do agree with what is said in the article that Sell and his team are working on it. They have done a fantastic job in so many areas that they have my trust to try and improve things.

Then again most of us on here will be there rain, snow, or shine.

GBGBGJ!

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
        Starting next year, the USD games in Brookings will be played in early October. So, it might be possible to get better attendance to that one. And with all those doctor or lawyer alumni down there, I don't know why they couldn't afford a $50 ticket.

We had 15.5k for a late November game against USD in 2016, so it's probaby not a stretch to expect 18k or better if it's a sunny day in early October. And usually by November they've been mathematically eliminated from post season contention, so their fans aren't driving up to Brookings for much of anything. Unless they continue to start the year as hot grabage (see 2019), they'll still be playing for quite a bit in October and might come in with a winning record. I'd be shocked if an October USD game didn't result in 2k more SDSU fans and at least 1-2k more USD fans at the game. Those numbers, plus our usual October average, would put us close to 18k.
        Will the USD game be either the Beef Bowl or Hobo Day? Hobo Day is normally before Halloween. It has been right around Halloween several times so I guess that could work. Halloween is the next home game after USD. If the USD game is either the Beef Bowl or Hobo Day, that should be around 18,000+. Would Hobo day on Halloween have 17,000+ fans? Of course, you have Dixie State in the middle of November so between the USD game and the Dixie State game, there will be an average of 12,000.
        They could have the Beef Bowl be September 26th against Indiana State and Hobo Day October 31st against Western Illinois. The USD game would be the Showdown Series. That would make Butler and Dixie State probably the Dairy Drive to Military Appreciation. Youngstown State would be the Precision Ag Bowl and Senior Day.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
          Will the USD game be either the Beef Bowl or Hobo Day? Hobo Day is normally before Halloween. It has been right around Halloween several times so I guess that could work. Halloween is the next home game after USD. If the USD game is either the Beef Bowl or Hobo Day, that should be around 18,000+. Would Hobo day on Halloween have 17,000+ fans? Of course, you have Dixie State in the middle of November so between the USD game and the Dixie State game, there will be an average of 12,000.
          They could have the Beef Bowl be September 26th against Indiana State and Hobo Day October 31st against Western Illinois. The USD game would be the Showdown Series. That would make Butler and Dixie State probably the Dairy Drive to Military Appreciation. Youngstown State would be the Precision Ag Bowl and Senior Day.
          I'm positive that USD will never be Hobo Day again. That's a terrible strategy for revenue purposes to combine your two largest games into one.

It also won't be the Beef bowl, for the same reason. Beef bowl is always in September, to my knowledge. And Hobo Day has been in late October this decade more times than its been in early October. In fact, in 2011, it was in early November. I'm guessing the even years when USD plays in Brookings in October, you'll see Hobo Day as late as possible in October. Odd years, you might see it early in the month.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
            Starting next year, the USD games in Brookings will be played in early October. So, it might be possible to get better attendance to that one. And with all those doctor or lawyer alumni down there, I don't know why they couldn't afford a $50 ticket.
            I know Tibbs is writing "tongue in cheek' on the above but I see comments made from time to time which suggest USD has a lock on producing doctors and lawyers around here. SDSU has a very high number of its graduates go on to professional schools including law and medicine. In fact, one of several concerns -- at least a piece of the puzzle -- about the viability of the law school in Vermillion in the past few years was the fact that SDSU's top students who entered law school were not going to the one in Vermillion. Lately, the state's law school has been thinking about different ideas to improve the law school (recall the discussion about moving the school to Sioux Falls) and the law school has made a number of changes in an effort to attract the best students from the state. Those efforts are paying off. No doubt the greatest change has been the result of a fund-raising effort that now permits the school to offer 15 full-ride, three-year scholarships. But there have been other changes including a concerted effort to connect with SDSU undergrads about staying in the state for law school. In the past year SDSU students now entering the law school at USD has increased significantly -- I don't recall the exact numbers but something like 12-15 SDSU undergrads were in the entering class of about 70-75 at the law school in Vermillion. A few years ago, that number was less than five.

My firm is an example of my point: we have five lawyers. Three did their undergraduate work at SDSU and went to law school in Vermillion. One did undergrad elsewhere and law school in Vermllion. One did undergrad at Vermillion and law school out of state.

I have heard and read many times, uninformed USD partisan talk or writing suggesting USD has some sort of great lock on all the doctors and lawyers. That's BS. If true, what has it gotten USD? There are too many examples of people who feel an allegiance to their undergrad school and very little allegiance to the school to which a graduate program is attached. The doctors and lawyers are not particularly strong contributors. For a donor base in this State, I think I'd pick the ag industry, from individual farmers and farm families to ag businesses, over doctors and lawyers.

I want one thing clear: I had a good experience attending law school in Vermillion. I am very interested in that school regaining the reputation it had decades ago and i'm supportive of efforts underway to build the prestige of the school back to where it had been. I think they will get that done.

Summary: Any claim by USD that "we have the lawyers and doctors" is a bunch of meaningless crap. Rant over
            Last edited by JackJD; 10-04-2019, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              I know Tibbs is writing "tongue in cheek' on the above but I see comments made from time to time which suggest USD has a lock on producing doctors and lawyers around here. SDSU has a very high number of its graduates go on to professional schools including law and medicine. In fact, one of several concerns -- at least a piece of the puzzle -- about the viability of the law school in Vermillion in the past few years was the fact that SDSU's top students who entered law school were not going to the one in Vermillion. Lately, the state's law school has been thinking about different ideas to improve the law school (recall the discussion about moving the school to Sioux Falls) and the law school has made a number of changes in an effort to attract the best students from the state. Those efforts are paying off. No doubt the greatest change has been the result of a fund-raising effort that now permits the school to offer 15 full-ride, three-year scholarships. But there have been other changes including a concerted effort to connect with SDSU undergrads about staying in the state for law school. In the past year SDSU students now entering the law school at USD has increased significantly -- I don't recall the exact numbers but something like 12-15 SDSU undergrads were in the entering class of about 70-75 at the law school in Vermillion. A few years ago, that number was less than five.

My firm is an example of my point: we have five lawyers. Three did their undergraduate work at SDSU and went to law school in Vermillion. One did undergrad elsewhere and law school in Vermllion. One did undergrad at Vermillion and law school out of state.

I have heard and read many times, uninformed USD partisan talk or writing suggesting USD has some sort of great lock on all the doctors and lawyers. That's BS. If true, what has it gotten USD? There are too many examples of people who feel an allegiance to their undergrad school and very little allegiance to the school to which a graduate program is attached. The doctors and lawyers are not particularly strong contributors. For a donor base in this State, I think I'd pick the ag industry, from individual farmers and farm families to ag businesses, over doctors and lawyers.

I want one thing clear: I had a good experience attending law school in Vermillion. I am very interested in that school regaining the reputation it had decades ago and i'm supportive of efforts underway to build the prestige of the school back to where it had been. I think they will get that done.

Summary: Any claim by USD that "we have the lawyers and doctors" is a bunch of meaningless crap. Rant over
              Wholeheartedly agree. The comment was sarcasm through and through. SDSU produces lots of professionals in the law, business, and medical fields.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                Agree with the last two lines totally. You could say the same for Basketball in some ways. We have been very spoiled the last several years.
                I have always thought that SDSU is a victim of their own success as well. If we just had one team that was successful, the fans would flock to that event. However having the big 3 sports all successful spreads a fan base thin.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Speaking of tickets for sale, the USD twitter indicates there are still some of those 5,000+ tickets for sale for Dakota Days. That is a real attendance problem.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

I also attended both schools and I do agree that many SDSU students go into law and doctoral studies after undergrad. My question as I have asked myself is why attend the undergrad university that does not offer the professional degrees? Say what you want about a study by USD to see if the law school was best fit in Vermillion, I don't see why that is such a bad idea. In the end this years class will be the largest to date.

I do agree that the ag sector follows sports much closer and have much more expendable time to attend then the professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post
                      I also attended both schools and I do agree that many SDSU students go into law and doctoral studies after undergrad. My question as I have asked myself is why attend the undergrad university that does not offer the professional degrees? Say what you want about a study by USD to see if the law school was best fit in Vermillion, I don't see why that is such a bad idea. In the end this years class will be the largest to date.

I do agree that the ag sector follows sports much closer and have much more expendable time to attend then the professionals.
                      I won't speak to the pre-law aspect, but one reason a student might attend undergrad at a different institution than than the med school is because of the quality of undergrad program. For example, SDSU students had (I assume still have) a higher acceptance rate into the USD med school than USD pre-med students. Our pre-med program is stronger. So, if a kid wants to go to med school, going to SDSU for undergrad might make more sense than going to USD. We have one of the only undergrad cadaver labs in the country and a very high quality anatomy and physiology emphasis here. From the medical side, there's actually a lot of good reasons to go somewhere other than than the med school campus for your undergrad. I assume there are some similar comparisons on the law and business side as well. For example, we have the actuarial science program that they don't have, in addition to a strong economics department that could give a student a strong background to cross over into either business or law. Not to mention, I think an undergrad from a land grant school is always beneficial if you're thinking about any sort of grad school. We out perform them in research grants and awards at a tune of almost 2 to 1, and our students have a lot of access to potential undergrad research projects that USD doesn't have, or at least doesn't have in the same quantities.

Comment

Another great Tailgating outing for the #libraryLot crew. It Just keeps getting better over there.

Comment

Originally posted by JacksFTW View Post

I'm uncertain about your point or points. (1) Why attend the undergrad university that does not offer the professional degrees? There may be as many responses to that question as there are students who attended an undergrad university which did not offer the professional degree the student eventually obtained. One reason may be to simply have the benefit of attending different schools. I know many USD undergrads who obtained law degrees and MD degrees from other institutions. (2) I don't think anyone has said anything about studying whether the law school was best fit in Vermillion other than my comment that the issue was considered by a committee a couple years ago. Personally, I thought it was nuts to consider moving the law school from Vermillion but that's just me. Law schools across the nation were in a slump -- bar passages rates were sharply declining in many states. I think USD has done a very good job in coming up with measures to address problems and all indications are the problems are being resolved. [And more qualified students are applying to law schools across the country.] The new Dean of the law school was a first-class choice and his leadership is already having a big impact. (3) I disagree with the comment that the ag sector follows sports and has 'much more expendable time to attend than the professionals.' That sounds like a stereotype often pushed by a few USD fans who want to blame problems on their professional school grads just not having enough time. The people I know in the ag sector work their tails off and are successful because of a tremendous time (and capital) investment. I cannot name many rank and file people who are actually working the fields and tending livestock, finding the time to take two or three-week vacations like many who are not working in the ag sector. But seriously, such broad generalizations are pretty worthless and if one really subscribes to such thinking, there's little that can be done to convince such a person otherwise. My comment about support from the ag sector vs support from the law and medical professions referred to financial support. Financial support of SDSU and USD generally is information that can be determined from Board of Regents information -- breaking it down to which vocations or professions are making the contributions is probably impossible but there's plenty of circumstantial evidence that the ag sector is generous in its financial support of SDSU.

Well, back to attendance and alcohol! I'm going to attend the kitchen and grab a cold beer. It was a fun day at SDSU.

Comment

FWIW, YSU's penguin is upside down on their TV broadcast. Doesn't bother me a bit.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                              FWIW, YSU's penguin is upside down on their TV broadcast. Doesn't bother me a bit.
                              This. And they do that to show their home side. It seems like a very simple solution that could really help the game day image on tv

Comment

Interesting article about Ole Miss finally implementing Beer sales

"Believe it or not, they waited until the Texas A&M game and pretty much executed the new beer sales plan with relatively few glitches. The university reported approximately 15,400 beers were sold on Saturday netting around $130,000, so potentially we’re looking at a $1M revenue stream for seven home games if those sales trends hold true."

https://www.redcuprebellion.com/201....ingway-stadium
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X