Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
    Im disappointed we decided to do anything with Aspire. KU used them for some time and it was a complete disaster. Granted, KU football sucks right now, but Aspire did nothing to help with ticket sales. I’m skeptical at best about that company being involved in our ticket office.
    I have no experience or knowledge with Aspire... but that is a pretty massive qualifier when describing the quality of a firm's work.

"Granted, the Boeing 737 max sucks right now, but ________ did nothing to help with airplane sales."

I can't imagine they suck that bad if they are able to continue to get clients in an industry as closely knit as college athletics.

From what I can tell, much of their focus at KU was for non-revenue generating sports, do you know if that is accurate? Maybe they've done a remarkable job with the things KU actually asked them to focus on?
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      I have no experience or knowledge with Aspire... but that is a pretty massive qualifier when describing the quality of a firm's work.

"Granted, the Boeing 737 max sucks right now, but ________ did nothing to help with airplane sales."

I can't imagine they suck that bad if they are able to continue to get clients in an industry as closely knit as college athletics.

From what I can tell, much of their focus at KU was for non-revenue generating sports, do you know if that is accurate? Maybe they've done a remarkable job with the things KU actually asked them to focus on?
      I have no knowledge of Aspire other than press release quote in the first post in another thread. That said, there is no guarantee, they will work at SDSU. Having full time people working on tickets sales is something that we have not tried before. Just as we had no full time people working on new corporate sponsorship, we have now Learfield sports working on that in a successful manner. You have to be a die-hard to sit through a KU football season. I think Aspire had a nearly impossible situation, men’s basketball another matter. Heaven help us when Augustana signs a contract with Learfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        I have no knowledge of Aspire other than press release quote in the first post in another thread. That said, there is no guarantee, they will work at SDSU. Having full time people working on tickets sales is something that we have not tried before. Just as we had no full time people working on new corporate sponsorship, we have now Learfield sports working on that in a successful manner. You have to be a die-hard to sit through a KU football season. I think Aspire had a nearly impossible situation, men’s basketball another matter. Heaven help us when Augustana signs a contract with Learfield.
        Sometimes, preventing a decline is actually a win. For KU football ticket sales, I could see that being the case. You don't need sales people for KU basketball tickets, you need order takers. There is very little skill required.

Based on the limited information I could find, they moved the needle for women's sports in particular at KU. Who knows, maybe that was the primary focus? Sometimes in sales/marketing it makes the most sense to go after low hanging fruit first. I would guess Aspire presented hard data to KU to demonstrate their value, and it was good enough to get a contract extension based on the information on their site.

Hard to say. At the end of the day, I trust AD Sell and his team to make good decisions on these things.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

That is a fair point regarding non-revenue generating sports. The volleyball team at KU is pretty good and attendance has increased significantly there. Women's basketball, however, has not.

KU Men's Hoops runs itself. No need for the assistance there.

I think the KU football issue is likely bigger than Aspire could have fathomed. KU was dumping massive amounts of tickets on stub hub for like $6 bucks during game weeks.

Having thought more on the subject, I will withhold judgment on Aspire and SDSU's relationship as KU football is likely not a fair experience for anyone to address. I am sure it is hard to sell tickets to a **** show.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Another thought crosses my mind with attendance. If broadcast rights are negotiated with Midco, what would be the possibility and impact of the department only giving broadcast rights to, say, 4 home games per year as opposed to all 6? If, as Zimmer seems to think, Midco games on TV cut down on people choosing to drive up for the game, would a self-imposed blackout to encpurage more fans to attend be worth the risk of decreased exposure on local television? Not to mention the lost TV revenue from thw other two games. Assuming nice weather and a conference opponent, does not having the game on TV lead to a couple thousand more butts in the seats? I'm not sure it does, but TV games seems to be a common place of blame for poor crowds.
            Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 09-13-2019, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              Another thought crosses my mind with attendance. If broadcast rights are negotiated with Midco, what would be the possibility and impact of the department only giving broadcast rights to, say, 4 home games per year as opposed to all 6? If, as Zimmer seems to think, Midco games on TV cut down on people choosing to drive up for the game, would a self-imposed blackout to encpurage more fans to attend be worth the risk of decreased exposure on local television? Not to mention the lost TV revenue from thw other two games. Assuming nice weather and a conference opponent, does not having the game on TV lead to a couple thousand more butts in the seats? I'm not sure it does, but TV games seems to be a common place of blame for poor crowds.
              I am 1000000% against this. You'd be cutting off alumni from outside the area off from being able to watch the games. The games aren't just on locally.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                I am 1000000% against this. You'd be cutting off alumni from outside the area off from being able to watch the games. The games aren't just on locally.
                I don't disagree, but I'm playing devils advocate. Personally, I don't think it would make a significant difference. I just don't see the fans out there that use Midco as an excuse suddenly deciding that it's worth their while to come to games when TV is no longer an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                  I don't disagree, but I'm playing devils advocate. Personally, I don't think it would make a significant difference. I just don't see the fans out there that use Midco as an excuse suddenly deciding that it's worth their while to come to games when TV is no longer an option.
                  The next in the line up is radio. It is even available to some online too. 570 covers a wide path on signal alone in South Dakota. It is a bit old school though.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Media exposure of any kind helps promote the football product long term. The fact that many games are televised now is great. However, the TV factor also increases the burden on organizers and the university to create a fun or meaningful experience at SDSU games through means such as good tailgating and other festivities. Perhaps more events such as concerts, reunions and conferences could be encouraged to be scheduled around games. Other necessities include lively performances by the marching band, great promotion (directed largely to people not currently attending games) and probably most important of all, victories on the field.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Amen,, when we were D2 I used to participate in D2Football discussions. A big argument was often expressed that the more TV exposure better the attendance. At the time NCC attendance at SDSU was 3 to 4k average. I was one to argue against TV coverage. Now 15 years later I see it much different. The exposure is what we need. Any kind of prohibition would not work at all and would most likely backfire.

Comment

A friend of mine made the decision to go to SDSU (back in the Dark Ages) when he was in high school and saw an SDSU game on SDPTV (I said it was back in the Dark Ages). He thought it looked like a lot of fun.

This goes to the "gameday experience" part of the equation. Make it look like a lot of people are having a lot of fun on TV, and you'll attract better attendance (and attract students as well).
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          A friend of mine made the decision to go to SDSU (back in the Dark Ages) when he was in high school and saw an SDSU game on SDPTV (I said it was back in the Dark Ages). He thought it looked like a lot of fun.

This goes to the "gameday experience" part of the equation. Make it look like a lot of people are having a lot of fun on TV, and you'll attract better attendance (and attract students as well).
                          I completely agree. Which is why it's frustrating to watch games on TV and see the empty east side for 3 hours. I think it really hurts the perception, and might keep some people away. I'd tolerate seeing the rabbit logo upside down for a view from the east looking west if it meant showing our best side for each game.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

I like this... If we could get Midco to show some tailgating highlights, that would be great. Also, as many have stated, showing the East side is just not a good look. If you show the West side of the stadium, the visual is better and I think it would make people realize just how many people are at the game and create an envy effect and some FOMO (fear of missing out).

Comment

This may be a different take but I actually all that excited about having seven home games this year. Heck, I'm lucky if I get to four each year anyway with work, kids, and other things. My guess is there are a lot of people in that boat. So, when there are seven games on the schedule I try and work my schedule as best I can to get to the games that I want to see. Long Island U was the first game that I had on that list followed by the Drake game this weekend.

I tried to give my tickets away and it was tough to find any takers.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                                This may be a different take but I actually all that excited about having seven home games this year.
                                Assuming you meant you're not all that excited about having 7 home games... and essentially getting free admission and another opportunity to watch SDSU at home... yes, that is definitely a different take. Even if you can only make it to 4, now you have 7 to choose from and work your schedule around instead of 6 like normal. What's not to like?
                                Last edited by CappinHard; 09-13-2019, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X