Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    Right, those were kind of two different points. The smaller towns mentioned in the first paragraph may be I larger metros than Brookings-Sioux Falls.

I did a map analysis at one point several years ago analyzing the population for Missoula, Fargo, Bozeman, Grand Forks, Vermillion, and Brookings relative to their regional population. The spatial aggregate of the analysis was for the population of all counties whose center point fell within 75 linear miles of their "local" school. I can't remember all of the rankings and exact results, but it went something like this:

1) Vermillion with 800k+ within 75 miles
    2) Brookings with 600k+ within 75 miles
    3) Fargo
    4) Grand Forks
    5) Missoula
    6) Bozeman

I can't remember the exact numbers for the last 4, but I believe that both Montana schools had less than 300k in their 75 mile radius.

However, if you flipped the radius and looked at population within 25 miles, it went more like this:

1) Fargo
    2)Missoula
    3)Grand Forks
    4)Bozeman
    5) Brookings
    6)Vermillion

SDSU is at an inherent disadvantage in local fans within a 20 minute drive. But if they were to capture the Sioux Falls market and find a way to make more people drive an hour down the road, we have fantastic potential. Easier said than done though.
    One unique thing with the Montana schools is the willingness of Montanans to drive. A 2 hour drive in Montana is nothing. In SD it's a much bigger deal. I know my mom thinks the drive to Sioux Falls from my hometown of Miller is a long drive. It's 2 1/2 hours. That's a relatively short drive in Montana for the rural residents.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      One unique thing with the Montana schools is the willingness of Montanans to drive. A 2 hour drive in Montana is nothing. In SD it's a much bigger deal. I know my mom thinks the drive to Sioux Falls from my hometown of Miller is a long drive. It's 2 1/2 hours. That's a relatively short drive in Montana for the rural residents.
      Spot on there!
      You can tell it even in parts of SD.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Yup, that's a huge factor. Long drives in that part of the country are expected and accepted. Montana State isn't getting all 18k for their games from Bozeman. And if they aren't coming from Bozeman, they're driving a pretty good distance to get there.

Comment

As an entirety we have very apathetic fans. Many times in the late season our 5000 fans make more noise than the 14,000 fans early in the year. Half of our fans get upset if someone stands up during the game and it blocks their view, lord have mercy if they have to stand up and cheer.
          Yes, we are at a disadvantage with our population, but overall we have OK fans. Bison fans are true fanatics. I hate the Bison, but I am jealous of their support. Well before the dome, they sold out Dakota Field, which was outdoors.
          There isn't one solution but these could impact:
          Winning a title, but I don't think it would improve it permanently.
          USD actually wining a game against us could help that games attendance. we had only 8500 at that game last year.
          Selling alcohol
          Finding a way to get more Sioux Falls fans/alumni at games
          Getting creative at the stadium with fans - not just a t-shirt gun and a quiz on the big screen. Here is an article about how Texas revamped their stadium experience: DJ's, tailgate Concerts, less ads, more energy
          https://www.si.com/college-football/...ium-experience

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

SDSU is at an inherent disadvantage in local fans within a 20 minute drive. But if they were to capture the Sioux Falls market and find a way to make more people drive an hour down the road, we have fantastic potential. Easier said than done though.
            One reason why ticket prices have to be in play. Driving to the game costs money, and if the argument is that ability to have a beer inside the stadium is more enticing than having additional money to spend on fuel, I'd submit that people already gripe about concession stand prices, paying for shipping for online purchases delivered directly to their home, etc.

I guarantee the alcohol you'd be able to purchase in DJD would not be cheaper than that available at store (or maybe even at the bars downtown).

Comment

Wasn't sure what thread to put this in but between social media and friends ive been following the idea of ticket prices and what not at SDSU

FWIW here are UNIs prices this year. It's a good comp since we both have SUU OOC and can compare MVFC prices

UNI also is selling beer this year. Tallboy cans for $7 for everyone outside of the student section and the TCS kids zone

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

While I totally understand the need to win games in the ooc schedule and the importance of wins as they relates to seeds for the playoffs. I also understand that since we have been a pretty consistent top 5/ top 10 the last 5 years that makes it tough to get other good schools to come to brookings and play. I think something that would help increase attendance in the early season game is playing someone that people have heard of before and has a pulse. In the last 5 years the jacks have only had 1 home ooc game that was closer than 3 scores and that was the 7 point loss to cal poly in 2016. I like a good curb stomping by the jacks as much as the next person but it would be nice for a good game every once in a while. I also heard that sentiment from people around me at the game Saturday, the mentioned it would be nice to see a good game in the ooc every once in a while.

I totally understand this is easier said than done and also doesn’t help us for low attendance during conference play but it was just a thought I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                  While I totally understand the need to win games in the ooc schedule and the importance of wins as they relates to seeds for the playoffs. I also understand that since we have been a pretty consistent top 5/ top 10 the last 5 years that makes it tough to get other good schools to come to brookings and play. I think something that would help increase attendance in the early season game is playing someone that people have heard of before and has a pulse. In the last 5 years the jacks have only had 1 home ooc game that was closer than 3 scores and that was the 7 point loss to cal poly in 2016. I like a good curb stomping by the jacks as much as the next person but it would be nice for a good game every once in a while. I also heard that sentiment from people around me at the game Saturday, the mentioned it would be nice to see a good game in the ooc every once in a while.

I totally understand this is easier said than done and also doesn’t help us for low attendance during conference play but it was just a thought I had.
                  A big problem is there are not many FCS teams most people have heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post

Montana State was supposed to be that team last year. SUU could have been that team. Unfortunately you’re not going to get the other top FCS schools to travel because of the importance of the seeding in the playoffs.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                      A big problem is there are not many FCS teams most people have heard of.
                      I get that too. And I am by no means complaining I don’t miss very many games and I love watching them win no matter who they are playing but when every game is a blowout I can see that keeping people away as well. I can see them thinking well why would I pay $30 to go watch a game that is over by halftime and kind of boring to watch since if you are a casual fan you don’t care or know who Devin Blakley is and don’t care that he got a few carries late in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        Montana State was supposed to be that team last year. SUU could have been that team. Unfortunately you’re not going to get the other top FCS schools to travel because of the importance of the seeding in the playoffs.
                        Ya looks like we were maybe a year early on having Montana State come in and be that team.

I get that and when we play in the conference we play in you don’t need to schedule tough ooc because we play enough of the top FCS teams in conference.

Comment

Originally posted by uniftw View Post
                          Wasn't sure what thread to put this in but between social media and friends ive been following the idea of ticket prices and what not at SDSU

FWIW here are UNIs prices this year. It's a good comp since we both have SUU OOC and can compare MVFC prices

UNI also is selling beer this year. Tallboy cans for $7 for everyone outside of the student section and the TCS kids zone

Thanks for sharing. I do think something like this should and could be done.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                            I think his point was the pricing is extremely similar for single game tickets.
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                              I think his point was the pricing is extremely similar for single game tickets.
                              By similar you mean like tier 3 price is equal to your most expensive, right?

I can break the mathmatcis of why UNI does this as well. Pretty simple.

I think UNI might be a about 10 high for each tier but looking at it with maths and I can't say it's wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                                Something like what? The prices aren't that different. Also, keep in mind the UNIdome was finished in 1976. The Dana was finished in 2016.

Comment

Working...
                                X