Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Attendance & Alcohol

Default Re: Attendance & Alcohol

If the goal is beer in the stadium within 5 years, I'd suggest going to our game at Minnesota or Colorado state in the next 3 years to get a feel for it if you're against the idea. Both have on campus stadiums that sell beer. I've been to both and never noticed a problem outside of long lines at the beer stands. No more coming and going to concessions than anywhere else I've been. My biggest concern would be having enough vendors so I don't have to wait in line for 20 minutes to get one

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitball View Post
    If the goal is beer in the stadium within 5 years, I'd suggest going to our game at Minnesota or Colorado state in the next 3 years to get a feel for it if you're against the idea. Both have on campus stadiums that sell beer. I've been to both and never noticed a problem outside of long lines at the beer stands. No more coming and going to concessions than anywhere else I've been. My biggest concern would be having enough vendors so I don't have to wait in line for 20 minutes to get one
    This. It won't be any more traffic than you see when it gets cold and people make hot chocolate runs. People mention selling beer at a game and some suddenly assume that a kegger is going to break out.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    I hope their fans like looking at people's back sides instead of the game as there will be an unending stream of people going back and forth to concessions to refill their beer cups.
    I was just about to buy Drake season tickets too. I decided against it after learning I was likely only to see about 1/3rd of the each game.

Iím curious about people saying tickets are too high I guess. They have season tickets available for $125/ticket for people who so chose to on east and west sides of the stadium. That works out to just shy of $21/game. If you have kids and put them in the Junior Jacks club for $100 for the year they get into all home events for free from what I gather, and theyíll assign them seats by your season tickets if you want. Many of the people I see on here who are struggling with ticket prices and kids have a legit gripe. I get it. But many of those same people seem to bring their kids to b-ball games as well, so Iím wondering if Junior Jacks is just not known or properly pushed or even thought about? Maybe that is too much for people or just too much of a lump sum to do at one time, Iím not other people. But it doesnít take many games attended with the family on single game tickets to end up costing more than the option I just described. Just throwing it out there in case people didnít know.

To be fair, every other year the conference does us no favors for our attendance by having all our known good MVFC teams on the road. Your casual SDSU fan isnít going to know that Misery St has an improved team that could be trouble outside of the article that Zim writes for a preview, and I doubt that one or two articles in the AL are going to convince people to drive up to Brookings.

As far as the rest of the excuses people use, it all boils down to the fact that SDSU football isnít a high priority for people to attend. I guarantee there are a bunch of people who decide to sit at home during a late season football game for whatever reason but would be down in Lincoln in a heartbeat if they were offered tickets on the same weekend. Until Jacks games become an event that is the place to be for our fans, especially people who consider themselves hardcore fans, then our attendance will be what it is. Right now itís a fun event to go to under the right conditions. I talked to a lady at the Beef Bowl who told me thatís the only game they go to, but boy is it a great time! Then I told her the other games are just as fun and they should give it a shot and I got a very heartfelt maybe weíll think about it. It is what it is. I know Iíll keep showing up and enjoying myself for the games. Iím just done trying to defend our attendance to other fans. We deserve whatever ridicule our rivals want to throw at us.

I know itís a big commitment to get to every game. I get it. For me to make all the games this year I have had to make some choices personally in how I invest my time and free money. I still managed to miss the Montana State game and Iím still PISSED about it. But you can bet your hinder Iíll be at every game including playoffs the rest of the year come hell or high water. Some people donít feel that way and thatís fine. I do feel that if weíre going to have a fan base thatís going to react like we did after the UNI game with comments about how our coaching staff will never get it done then we better prove as a fan base that weíll at least show up for the team. For us to have the expectations we do for the program but not for ourselves because it was cold out or we donít have a dome is kinda out of whack to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by thumper_76 View Post
    I’m curious about people saying tickets are too high I guess. They have season tickets available for $125/ticket for people who so chose to on east and west sides of the stadium. That works out to just shy of $21/game. If you have kids and put them in the Junior Jacks club for $100 for the year they get into all home events for free from what I gather, and they’ll assign them seats by your season tickets if you want. Many of the people I see on here who are struggling with ticket prices and kids have a legit gripe. I get it. But many of those same people seem to bring their kids to b-ball games as well, so I’m wondering if Junior Jacks is just not known or properly pushed or even thought about? Maybe that is too much for people or just too much of a lump sum to do at one time, I’m not other people. But it doesn’t take many games attended with the family on single game tickets to end up costing more than the option I just described. Just throwing it out there in case people didn’t know.

To be fair, every other year the conference does us no favors for our attendance by having all our known good MVFC teams on the road. Your casual SDSU fan isn’t going to know that Misery St has an improved team that could be trouble outside of the article that Zim writes for a preview, and I doubt that one or two articles in the AL are going to convince people to drive up to Brookings.

As far as the rest of the excuses people use, it all boils down to the fact that SDSU football isn’t a high priority for people to attend. I guarantee there are a bunch of people who decide to sit at home during a late season football game for whatever reason but would be down in Lincoln in a heartbeat if they were offered tickets on the same weekend. Until Jacks games become an event that is the place to be for our fans, especially people who consider themselves hardcore fans, then our attendance will be what it is. Right now it’s a fun event to go to under the right conditions. I talked to a lady at the Beef Bowl who told me that’s the only game they go to, but boy is it a great time! Then I told her the other games are just as fun and they should give it a shot and I got a very heartfelt maybe we’ll think about it. It is what it is. I know I’ll keep showing up and enjoying myself for the games. I’m just done trying to defend our attendance to other fans. We deserve whatever ridicule our rivals want to throw at us.

I know it’s a big commitment to get to every game. I get it. For me to make all the games this year I have had to make some choices personally in how I invest my time and free money. I still managed to miss the Montana State game and I’m still PISSED about it. But you can bet your hinder I’ll be at every game including playoffs the rest of the year come hell or high water. Some people don’t feel that way and that’s fine. I do feel that if we’re going to have a fan base that’s going to react like we did after the UNI game with comments about how our coaching staff will never get it done then we better prove as a fan base that we’ll at least show up for the team. For us to have the expectations we do for the program but not for ourselves because it was cold out or we don’t have a dome is kinda out of whack to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very well said.

SDSU games, both football and basketball, are not really "events" yet. I would say that overall the gameday experience can be very bland for those that are not fervent Jackrabbit fans. I would like to see an area promoted at the tailgate that is a social area. I have mentioned before about having some type of stage with pre-game broadcasts and/or live music. This would give those that aren't apart of an established tailgate area someplace to enjoy themselves. Right now there really isn't a good area for the "walk-up" attendee to pregame.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Quote Originally Posted by SoDakJack View Post
    People mention selling beer at a game and some suddenly assume that a kegger is going to break out.
    Be a lot cooler if it did.

Very well said.

SDSU games, both football and basketball, are not really "events" yet. I would say that overall the gameday experience can be very bland for those that are not fervent Jackrabbit fans. I would like to see an area promoted at the tailgate that is a social area. I have mentioned before about having some type of stage with pre-game broadcasts and/or live music. This would give those that aren't apart of an established tailgate area someplace to enjoy themselves. Right now there really isn't a good area for the "walk-up" attendee to pregame.
    Agreed. Full disclosure, I'm not a big donor, so my ideas should be taken with a grain of salt because I have no idea on feasability due to monetary concerns, nor do I contribute enought to really make this more than constructive complaints, but a couple things I would suggest from living in Fargo (sigh).

1) I'm never in Sioux Falls anymore, but if we don't have something set up with the digital billboards around that highlights upcoming home games for our athletics I think we are really missing the boat. If we want to turn that area into a blue and yellow city, I really think we should be plastering the town with billboards from athletics. Billboards about the university are all fine and dandy, but if we are looking to build a fanbase some constant reminders while people are sitting in traffic about upcoming games in Brookings could go a long way towards getting the word out. I really think theres a lot of casual fans out there who don't know when games are, who we play, etc. that we need to have the brand in front of all the time. I grew up a Cowboys fan in WI, and slowly ended up cheering for the Packers partially due to being completely buried in Packers stuff everywhere.

2) To build off of the first idea, sometimes I wonder if we focus too much on the social media and email campaigns. I get emails constantly from the athletic department that I generally casually scan over because I get so many and if they contain info on any specials or promos they are doing, they are completely buried in a bunch of small text. They really look like a letter instead of a promo about upcoming events. As for the social media aspect, unless someone already follows us on Twitter or Facebook, how many potential new or casual fans are you reaching? And how many people who follow really are paying attention to the updates and campaign? I'm not saying to stop doing it by any means, I think its a great deal that we do that, but I worry we might focus just too much on it?

3) This one would probably be expensive at first but could turn into a revenue stream, but man would it be huge to have a radio station that had two Jackrabbit talk shows on it like ndsu has on one of the sports talk radio stations. 570 is phenominal for statewide coverage of the games, but really being able to have a radio station with more than just the Stig radio show would be huge I think for potentially growing the Sioux Falls market. First off it gives us a lot more of that DI swagger to help make SDSU shown as a big deal to the area. Then having a show like that gives you an opportunity to really get your brand out there, your events out there, and build up upcoming games and events. Plus it will have an effect on the kids growing up in the area by having SDSU stuff everywhere. God I would love that. Have an app for it, put it on soundcloud, the whole works. I really think Tyler M would be great, the bison guys manage to do their noon radio show and announce their games, plus its fairly easy to get national guests on for FCS because the whole sudivision in general is always dying for more exposure. It would also be easy to dovetail into what some people have brought up with having local businesses provide discounts for showing tickets and whatever else you do. I know that the advertisers for the ndsu station have all sorts of promos they do with their ads for stuff. Having a Jacks centered 2-3 hours during peoples lunch break and drive home would have a huge effect in my very uneducated opinion. Hell, since I'm busy asking for pie in the sky stuff, it would make it much easier to have a Saturday tailgate show and post game reaction call in show as well if we had a Jacks radio station that doesn't just carry the games, but has the main show be Jacks athletics. I know I would have a tailgate show on the radio during tailgating, I don't think I would be the only one. There has to be a pretty good market for SDSU athletics in the Sioux Falls/Brookings area with how Zimmer talks about the numbers of hits on his SDSU stuff compared to all the other college teams in the area.

4) The last gripe/idea is to get our apps up to speed. Theres a SDSU football app but it doesn't have ANYTHING on it. Every link or section on it is empty or just links you to the gojacks roster. The events page is blank. If we've already invested in this doesn't it make sense to make it a big deal? Or just scrap it and make a SDSU athletics one with all the events and games listed. Add a "JackTracker" that people can show their location or whatever while they make the trek to the stadium on gamedays, a "Jackgating" section where people can post photos from their tailgate, and all that fun jazz. This one reall kinda bothers me since we obviously put the money into creating it but its just sitting there with nothing put into it and no promotion of it. I happened to find it because I'm a whacko and searched SDSU Jackrabbits in the app store. Feels like a big whiff to me right now.

All this being said, I'm sure the athletic department has thought of this and more. These are legit things I was daydreaming about paying for when the lotto was $1 billion.
    Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by thumper_76; 11-08-2018 at 05:55 PM.
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Excellent post thumper. I would add that NDSU has billboards all over the twin cities as well. And with an app like you're talking about it could send out notifications about upcoming events that might have slipped people's minds. I know there have been times that I remember about games at the last minute and can't go. Especially basketball given that there might be 3-4 games in a week-like this week

This. It won't be any more traffic than you see when it gets cold and people make hot chocolate runs. People mention selling beer at a game and some suddenly assume that a kegger is going to break out.
    Surprised Nidaros hasn't called out some of the straw men being mentioned here. Not sure what side of DJD you sit on, but if you sit on the east side, you may notice it only takes a couple people to cause a bottleneck on the stairs. When that happens, at least three rows of fans can have obscured views (depending on teams' field position, etc.). Hence my suggestion for having vendors.

I could say, mention vendor trays, and some act like you're re-enforcing Prohibition or declaring a Cold War on cold ones. I've never been fighting consumption of alcohol. What I've objected to is the seeming foreign nature of compromise for some on here and the lack of consideration for the fact that rarely do people become more courteous and coordinated after alcohol consumption, so why not try to limit foot traffic through what are fairly narrow rows on the east side?

There’s now a suggestion the east side rows are narrower than west side. I have seats on west side but have sat on east side several times. I think the width of rows is the same. (Whether there are problems related to row width and aisle width should be comparable.)