Attendance & Alcohol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

so. not that i normally do but i know quite a few SD'ans use KELOland.com for news. wandered over there today. looked under sports. nothing about the football game sat.

that kind of thing doesn't help either.

feel free to look for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
      so. not that i normally do but i know quite a few SD'ans use KELOland.com for news. wandered over there today. looked under sports. nothing about the football game sat. that kind of thing doesn't help either.feel free to look for yourself.Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
      That is strange, I believe I saw Anna Peters there and a tweet from her there. I believe she is a kelo personality.That said KDLT does a nice job of covering the Jacks as does KSFY for the most part.

Comment

so. not that i normally do but i know quite a few SD'ans use KELOland.com for news. wandered over there today. looked under sports. nothing about the football game sat.

I believe Keloland is down a Sports Anchor. Bailey Milne tweeted a few weeks ago her contract was up at the end of November. Keloland may be short handed in the sports dept.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          I believe Keloland is down a Sports Anchor. Bailey Milne tweeted a few weeks ago her contract was up at the end of November. Keloland may be short handed in the sports dept.
          Honestly, the SF media has been so bad (AugieAugieAugie!USFUSFUSF!HighschoolsHighschoolsH ighschools!SkyforceSkyforceSkyforce! (pause for breath) StampedeStampedeStampede!VikingsVikingsVikings!!!! OhyeahSDSU/USDwhatever) for so long that I'm unwilling to entertain any possible excuses for their generally anemic coverage of the state's D-I schools.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Honestly, the SF media has been so bad (AugieAugieAugie!USFUSFUSF!HighschoolsHighschoolsH ighschools!SkyforceSkyforceSkyforce! (pause for breath) StampedeStampedeStampede!VikingsVikingsVikings!!!! OhyeahSDSU/USDwhatever) for so long that I'm unwilling to entertain any possible excuses for their generally anemic coverage of the state's D-I schools.
            I'd be willing to agree if you exclude the Argus from this discussion as the only reason I get their paper is specifically for the coverage of SDSU Sports

Comment

They had on-air highlights both Saturday night and Sunday morning.

Comment

They were able to send somebody down to Omaha Friday to cover the huge USD/Creighton volleyball match

Comment

Originally posted by mitchellrabbit View Post
                  They were able to send somebody down to Omaha Friday to cover the huge USD/Creighton volleyball match
                  Maybe it was a weather issue? Seems it would have been easier to travel on Friday than Saturday for some.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                    Maybe it was a weather issue? Seems it would have been easier to travel on Friday than Saturday for some.
                    Thats possible. If we hadnt left Friday after work to head to the cities for the basketball game, we would have been home watching both on TV.

Comment

I was going to post about attendance in the Drake game thread, and I stopped myself and figured I should move it here. Hopefully we can keep attendance posts out of that and other game threads.

I see the FCA has a deal for cheap tickets this week and in addition to that, the early game time is part of an effort to change things up and see how they affect attendance. I'm all for cheap tickets and trying new things, but if the weather is nice like it's forecast and there's a huge crowd, was it because of the early start time, cheap tickets, or nice weather? My guess is the biggest factor would be nice weather, which is an inherent issue with an outdoor stadium. It's really hard to tell if an indoor stadium would increase attendance enough to cover the extra cost, but my guess is that it would. I feel like there's enough interest in SDSU football where if you can guarantee perfect conditions for the game (indoors), people will show up more frequently and more consistently. Call SDSU fair weather fans if you want (actually, that would be pretty accurate for most). It's a moot point, because we have an amazing outdoor stadium, and that's not going to change any time soon. However, I feel like it's important to factor this heavily into the reasons as to why attendance for a particular game wasn't good.

Also, I'm glad this thread title has alcohol in it, because again... that would also increase attendance.

Comment

Good discussion to have. Too late for an indoor stadium, but if we even had fiberglass seating it would make a difference.

I myself think the 1pm start is the wrong direction. I would be in favor of 4pm games. Give people time to travel or get some stuff done on Saturday morning and then give them time to get home after the game. If we stay for the whole 6pm game, which is rare for us, we get home at 1 in the morning. Which is why it is rare for my family. We should be able to acknowledge that most of the fan base travels more than one hour to the game. Not many are 3+ but some of us are.

Are people really staying away because we don't serve beer? I myself doubt that but it could be. What would it hurt to try it and find out? It would give UPD something new to plan for...

Comment

We don't play indoor football at SDSU. We are men here.

That's in jest but there are lots and lots and lots of posts about that very thing on this forum.

As far as the indoor stadium paying for itself with tickets sales, I think that's a stretch. Let's say we get 5000 more fans on average at $20/tickets on average. That's an extra $100k per game. Assume 5-6 home games per year and that's 550k per year in ticket sales. If a domed stadium costs an extra 50 million your almost at a 100 year payback.

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                            Good discussion to have. Too late for an indoor stadium, but if we even had fiberglass seating it would make a difference.

I myself think the 1pm start is the wrong direction. I would be in favor of 4pm games. Give people time to travel or get some stuff done on Saturday morning and then give them time to get home after the game. If we stay for the whole 6pm game, which is rare for us, we get home at 1 in the morning. Which is why it is rare for my family. We should be able to acknowledge that most of the fan base travels more than one hour to the game. Not many are 3+ but some of us are.

Are people really staying away because we don't serve beer? I myself doubt that but it could be. What would it hurt to try it and find out? It would give UPD something new to plan for...
                            I do think 1pm is a little early and would be more for a 2, 3, or 4 pm start time.

Yes, some people do stay away because we don't serve beer. Some parents want to drop their kids off somewhere because they're a pain to take to the game. They want to go tailgate for a while, have fun and let loose without the kids, then continue that fun in the game by having a few more beverages. Then you have the young adults that don't have kids yet. I know multiple people in their 20s and early 30s that would come to the game if they could buy beer in the game (multiple people have said this to me). Those same people will come to tailgate, then either go to BWW or downtown to watch the game. Good for the local economy I guess, but SDSU sees no revenue from that. You could not only get them to buy a ticket to the game, but also make money on their alcohol purchases.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              We don't play indoor football at SDSU. We are men here.

That's in jest but there are lots and lots and lots of posts about that very thing on this forum.

As far as the indoor stadium paying for itself with tickets sales, I think that's a stretch. Let's say we get 5000 more fans on average at $20/tickets on average. That's an extra $100k per game. Assume 5-6 home games per year and that's 550k per year in ticket sales. If a domed stadium costs an extra 50 million your almost at a 100 year payback.
                              I don't disagree with your numbers and that is clearly the way to approach the decision. That said I also think the dome would lend itself to a number of other events during the year which would increase the usage of the entire facility and perhaps reduce payback for the entirety. I don't know the business but seems logical to me

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                                I don't disagree with your numbers and that is clearly the way to approach the decision. That said I also think the dome would lend itself to a number of other events during the year which would increase the usage of the entire facility and perhaps reduce payback for the entirety. I don't know the business but seems logical to me
                                I think you're right but I don't think many of these buildings "pay for themselves". Generally, I think, the thought is the "payback" is in increased business at local business from visitors. If the Sioux Falls Convention center would pay for itself I don't think it would have taken years and years and years to replace the Sioux Falls Arena.

You also have to think about initial financing of the building. We would have doubled the cost which would have made getting this thing built tougher. Some in our legislature haven't been know to be exactly friendly to college athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X