Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    It's not a big issue, as I've admitted, I'm likely going to the games regardless; however, this is the first post where you've admitted traffic would probably increase, and I'm glad that the folks who drink that you associate with are paragons of etiquette, but, etiquette, not to mention one's ability to walk in a straight line, can decrease after alcohol consumption.

As I mentioned several posts ago, I'd just as soon take steps to minimize those issues by either allowing those who want to drink to remain seated and have their drinks passed to them via a vendor or restrict sales to times when the game isn't being played.
    Maybe it was a fluke. My wife and I sat up in the Loge yesterday. We sat beside a pair of guy who where also there for a single game. They paid good money to sit up there like us. While we all enjoyed and watched the game, I dang sure know we didn't all sit there with clipboards and notes like some on here seem too. We all had a good time, yes, beer was involved. The guy that bought them said they only buy the Loge or Club seats so they can watch the game and have a good time. I don't think they tailgated, we didn't. I'm not saying alcohol needs to be involved for a good time but it was a case in point where it sold a pair of tickets. We would have sat in our normal seats if not for these.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
      Maybe it was a fluke. My wife and I sat up in the Loge yesterday. We sat beside a pair of guy who where also there for a single game. They paid good money to sit up there like us. While we all enjoyed and watched the game, I dang sure know we didn't all sit there with clipboards and notes like some on here seem too. We all had a good time, yes, beer was involved. The guy that bought them said they only buy the Loge or Club seats so they can watch the game and have a good time. I don't think they tailgated, we didn't. I'm not saying alcohol needs to be involved for a good time but it was a case in point where it sold a pair of tickets. We would have sat in our normal seats if not for these.
      Yeah, my background's in social science, so I suppose it contributes to curiosity about what might influence things like one's likelihood of attending games, how much they enjoy games they attend, etc. I've also been blessed with relatively good hearing, so I tend to overhear conversations of fans around me. I don't take notes or focus on it, but alas, I still hear about how much they want to ditch the game to go to bars, how weird an opponent's hair looks, and various other random topics. Does it make me enjoy the game less? Not really, but not being able to see the plays does put a damper on things at times. Again, not to the extent I'd forego purchasing tickets.

You may recall that we've had people cite things such as lack of hot chocolate in prior years as a reason for not attending subsequent games, so I defaulted to the perspective that if a person attends a game to actually watch the game (and I fully admit some attend to hang out with friends and focus less on the game) then they may object to increased instances of people leaving and returning to their seats and impeding their ability to see game action.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        There's definitely etiquette that should be followed as far as when to enter/exit rows, and in my experience most people do a great job with that. Do you have issues now with people standing in front of you during game action, consuming drink/food and having reunions with friends?
        Going on the third season of being in seat 28 which is an aisle seat, and I am constantly having to stand and allow people to exit. At first, I used to get upset and give dirty looks to those who politely exited. So the last two seasons I have met them with a smile and now I get hugs from the opposite sex, many who I have never been formally introduced, and many guys will jump a row so not to disturb my watching the game. Being in the Club section, many of these fans are beer and wine drinkers. So if you act properly, it will work and that is why, beer sales through the stadium might be a good idea or at least a try.

A couple of years back, I got upset because the admin changed the policy rewarding priority points. Giving to endowments was not the same as giving to the Jackrabbit Club. You get two points for each 100 dollar direct contribution given to the Jackrabbit Club and one for each 100 dollars given to endowment funds. Gifts to endowment funds are no longer eligible for priority parking. Having been sold on endowments in the early 1990's, I been a very consistent donor or at least, I like to feel that way. This spring I got a Jackrabbit Club brochure,which I ordinarily file in the circular file, but for some reason I took time to read. The budget for scholarships is over 4 million and with donations from the endowments and Jackrabbit club, they are able to fund only 3 million. About 466k of the 3 million comes from endowments, so its not a major source of funding and explains the reduction in priority points that thoroughly pissed me off. Moving up to D1 is very costly and with the movement to full funding each student athlete, the numbers grow. The unfunded 1 million has to come somewhere and reducing prices of tickets will not work, nor will reducing the prices of concessions. Adding to attendance and the offering of concessions are about the only answer. Even an overpriced Nicks might be an idea. Having a Boone Pickens among our alumni would not hurt. I bet even Boone enjoys a cool now and then as he writes a big check to Oklahoma State University.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Going on the third season of being in seat 28 which is an aisle seat, and I am constantly having to stand and allow people to exit. At first, I used to get upset and give dirty looks to those who politely exited. So the last two seasons I have met them with a smile and now I get hugs from the opposite sex, many who I have never been formally introduced, and many guys will jump a row so not to disturb my watching the game. Being in the Club section, many of these fans are beer and wine drinkers. So if you act properly, it will work and that is why, beer sales through the stadium might be a good idea or at least a try.

A couple of years back, I got upset because the admin changed the policy rewarding priority points. Giving to endowments was not the same as giving to the Jackrabbit Club. You get two points for each 100 dollar direct contribution given to the Jackrabbit Club and one for each 100 dollars given to endowment funds. Gifts to endowment funds are no longer eligible for priority parking. Having been sold on endowments in the early 1990's, I been a very consistent donor or at least, I like to feel that way. This spring I got a Jackrabbit Club brochure,which I ordinarily file in the circular file, but for some reason I took time to read. The budget for scholarships is over 4 million and with donations from the endowments and Jackrabbit club, they are able to fund only 3 million. About 466k of the 3 million comes from endowments, so its not a major source of funding and explains the reduction in priority points that thoroughly pissed me off. Moving up to D1 is very costly and with the movement to full funding each student athlete, the numbers grow. The unfunded 1 million has to come somewhere and reducing prices of tickets will not work, nor will reducing the prices of concessions. Adding to attendance and the offering of concessions are about the only answer. Even an overpriced Nicks might be an idea. Having a Boone Pickens among our alumni would not hurt. I bet even Boone enjoys a cool now and then as he writes a big check to Oklahoma State University.
          Great post. Well said.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
            Great post. Well said.
            Thank you, and even the big bucks of Justin Sells salary are not to be envied nor the constant nightmares of not finding the million bucks for the budget has to give him many sleepless nights. It would me.

Comment

Allowing people to pass is not my issue. I've mentioned more than once that when you're in public, particularly in a locale with thousands of other people, you're going to have to compromise. The issue was the refusal to do two things. First, admit that alcohol drinkers would still get what they wanted (short of a personal seat-side perpetual beer machine), but it seemed reasonable to use vendor trays so traffic would be limited (traffic which you concede occurs in an area that currently has alcohol sales). Second, admit that vendors with trays have been used for decades at other venues, so it seems the issue was others wanting to argue rather than have a discussion. Similar behavior occurred with the tailgating ID wristbands. People can get pretty much get exactly what they want, but if they have to make the slightest concession to their right to drink, which wouldn't really be infringed, it's somehow "oppressive."

You mentioned club seating. I've never been in that section, but do you happen to know how the width of those aisles compares to east side seating? I ask because I suspect it's narrower in width and the rows are longer on the east side, thereby increasing the amount of time people must walk in front of others.

In addition, saying strategies (e.g., reducing prices) won't work without knowing the details or possible impacts, be they positive or negative, elides the fact that larger schools (again, I've cited report re. the Gophers), which also have debt service on their venues and are located in major metro areas, are finding it necessary to reduce ticket prices. Plus, there's a decent probability that one reason watching on TV is seen as a better option is that it's considerably cheaper than purchasing a ticket regardless of the weather forecast that game day.
              Last edited by jakejc795; 11-05-2018, 05:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                Allowing people to pass is not my issue. I've mentioned more than once that when you're in public, particularly in a locale with thousands of other people, you're going to have to compromise. The issue was the refusal to do two things. First, admit that alcohol drinkers would still get what they wanted (short of a personal seat-side perpetual beer machine), but it seemed reasonable to use vendor trays so traffic would be limited (traffic which you concede occurs in an area that currently has alcohol sales). Second, admit that vendors with trays have been used for decades at other venues, so it seems the issue was others wanting to argue rather than have a discussion. Similar behavior occurred with the tailgating ID wristbands. People can get pretty much get exactly what they want, but if they have to make the slightest concession to their right to drink, which wouldn't really be infringed, it's somehow "oppressive."

You mentioned club seating. I've never been in that section, but do you happen to know how the width of those aisles compares to east side seating? I ask because I suspect it's narrower in width and the rows are longer on the east side, thereby increasing the amount of time people must walk in front of others.

In addition, saying strategies (e.g., reducing prices) won't work without knowing the details or possible impacts, be they positive or negative, elides the fact that larger schools (again, I've cited report re. the Gophers), which also have debt service on their venues and are located in major metro areas, are finding it necessary to reduce ticket prices. Plus, there's a decent probability that one reason watching on TV is seen as a better option is that it's considerably cheaper than purchasing a ticket regardless of the weather forecast that game day.
                The bold equals a red herring and whatever the issue is I dont get it or its and issue that can easily be worked out. My big concern in all this is the costs of scholarships going forward. It has a price tag and whether our fund raisers can keep pace remains to be seen. And yes the width of aisles in Club is probably better and that is by design. You get what you pay for. Close to $200 of the $750 is tax deductible and is used for debt retirement of bonds used to build the stadium. I don’t want to be an alarmist,but attendance and increasing our fan base are less of concern than increasing scholarship costs. A rough road is ahead of us.
                Last edited by Nidaros; 11-05-2018, 07:17 AM.

Comment

whatever the issue is I dont get it
                  I don't think you're the only one.

Comment

I would love to see a flashback game every year. MSU's would have been the perfect one. Music from the 60-70 uniforms from the 80s and ticket Nd concessions from the 90s. Have retro type bookstore clothing available. Something like that would be fun.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The bold equals a red herring and whatever the issue is I dont get it or its and issue that can easily be worked out. My big concern in all this is the costs of scholarships going forward. It has a price tag and whether our fund raisers can keep pace remains to be seen. And yes the width of aisles in Club is probably better and that is by design. You get what you pay for. Close to $200 of the $750 is tax deductible and is used for debt retirement of bonds used to build the stadium. I don’t want to be an alarmist,but attendance and increasing our fan base are less of concern than increasing scholarship costs. A rough road is ahead of us.
                      If you don't see a glaring inconsistency between a person stating some measure will increase attendance but magically won't increase traffic to and from seats (which was eventually acknowledged), then that's one issue. Moreover, there's a propensity among some of the posters to make everything a binary decision (either "tailgating is exactly how I want it or it sucks" or "beer on demand regardless of impact on other fans or others are just 'bitching"), which I was trying to avoid by calling for compromise, and as I've stated multiple times, it doesn't make sense to me to avoid trying to address issues likely to occur prior to implementing alcohol sales.

The red herring is in saying I'm somehow being unreasonable or refusing to "work things out." Pretty sure my suggestions allowed the drinkers to get their alcohol while trying to minimize disruption to others. Fact is, the tickets we all buy aren't to the Dykhouse Pub Crawl or Coughlin Memorial Wine Mixer -- it's to watch a football game.

Comment

I used to post on this board when it first started. Last few years I’ve just checked in occasionally. It seems like the discussion regarding attendance is right where it was 5, 6, 7 years ago. Same old same old. This horse has been beaten to death mercilessly. We have a great athletic director, who I’m sure has access to all the necessary facts. I come on this site to get relevant game information such as that provided by my law school classmate Jack JD. As for the attendance rehash, I’m starting my Thanksgiving pie consumption way early.

Comment

Originally posted by Tucsonjack View Post
                          I used to post on this board when it first started. Last few years I’ve just checked in occasionally. It seems like the discussion regarding attendance is right where it was 5, 6, 7 years ago. Same old same old. This horse has been beaten to death mercilessly. We have a great athletic director, who I’m sure has access to all the necessary facts. I come on this site to get relevant game information such as that provided by my law school classmate Jack JD. As for the attendance rehash, I’m starting my Thanksgiving pie consumption way early.
                          Agreed - I just wasted far too much of my lunch hour reading this thread......

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                            Agreed - I just wasted far too much of my lunch hour reading this thread......
                            Gee I am sorry I ruined your lunch hour. I will not do that again.

Comment

... I come on this site to get relevant game information such as that provided by my law school classmate Jack JD. As for the attendance rehash, I’m starting my Thanksgiving pie consumption way early.
                              I've never been accused of providing relevant information before! Good to see you're still alive and kicking.

Comment

But isn't that kind of the point? The attendance woes from 2011 are still pretty much the same as they are today? I'd be curious to see how many games between 2012 and 2015 have had sub 10,000 in the stadium, excluding playoff games. Off the top of my head, I think WIU in 2014 is the only one. Since the new stadium opened (or partially opened, I can think of at least two, and maybe four regular season games below 10,000. I feel like while our "highs" have gotten higher (16, 17k at some games), our lows may be getting lower (ISUr in 15 and 17 were both below 10k on nice weather days). I'll look up that info later, but someone feel free to chime in with the actual numbers. My perception is that we've actually had more "bad" days since 2016 than the prior 5 years before that, but that might not be correct. And let's exclude the playoffs since those have been terrible for attendance either way.

Comment

Working...
                                X