Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Something like what? The prices aren't that different. Also, keep in mind the UNIdome was finished in 1976. The Dana was finished in 2016.
    Looking at his seating map, I'd be paying $675 (including scholarship donation) for the three tickets I pay over $1k for here (including Jackrabbit Club donation). That's nowhere near similar. I get that the Jacks need to pay for the stadium, and I'm not saying I'd expect a $300 reduction, but I see no reason they couldn't knock $3-5 off per ticket to save fans money (in my example, it'd save me $90 over the course of a season).

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      Looking at his seating map, I'd be paying $675 (including scholarship donation) for the three tickets I pay over $1k for here (including Jackrabbit Club donation). That's nowhere near similar. I get that the Jacks need to pay for the stadium, and I'm not saying I'd expect a $300 reduction, but I see no reason they couldn't knock $3-5 off per ticket to save fans money (in my example, it'd save me $90 over the course of a season).
      Yes, that is exactly why I cited the age of the stadiums. New stadiums cost money. There is math that goes into how much money is needed. That is the reason they couldn't knock off $3-$5 per ticket. If they change something like selling alcohol, the equation would change and they might be able to charge less.

Comment

We all have great ideas. I'm sure Sell and other admin are working harder on it than we are. We just need to do our job and continue showing up. Also I find it funny how people want cheaper tickets, but they want to sell beer. If a beer is 7$ a pop, you'll buy that but we also want to lower prices?? People will find ways to spend their money. If its important to them, they'll come. My only idea is we have to get more people from S.F. But the dang Dakota Bowl and Presidents bowl being on days of our home games does't help. Heck they draw more than the 2 D2 schools combined in S.F. Get those games to Friday and I think we'd see a different crowd. I just think we are beating our head against a wall discussing attendance. It happens every year. Just be happy we have this awesome stadium and the players we get to watch!

Comment

Originally posted by centraljack90 View Post
          I'm sure Sell and other admin are working harder on it than we are.
          And I'm guessing they know a little bit more about what is going on than the people here that think they know everything.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbits64 View Post
            As an entirety we have very apathetic fans. Many times in the late season our 5000 fans make more noise than the 14,000 fans early in the year. Half of our fans get upset if someone stands up during the game and it blocks their view, lord have mercy if they have to stand up and cheer.
            Yes, we are at a disadvantage with our population, but overall we have OK fans. Bison fans are true fanatics. I hate the Bison, but I am jealous of their support. Well before the dome, they sold out Dakota Field, which was outdoors.
            There isn't one solution but these could impact:
            Winning a title, but I don't think it would improve it permanently.
            USD actually wining a game against us could help that games attendance. we had only 8500 at that game last year.
            Selling alcohol
            Finding a way to get more Sioux Falls fans/alumni at games
            Getting creative at the stadium with fans - not just a t-shirt gun and a quiz on the big screen. Here is an article about how Texas revamped their stadium experience: DJ's, tailgate Concerts, less ads, more energy
            https://www.si.com/college-football/...ium-experience
            I agree with all of this. I've heard many people say "if we when a Natty, that will get more people to the game." That isn't going even make a blip on the radar unfortunately. We've are currently experiencing an unbelievable multi-year playoff run and our apathetic fan base won't even show up to our playoff games. And that is with a brand new stadium that has very few shortfalls. We are beating our heads against the wall discussing how to make it better. It will take a major culture change to get more people here - that is the bottom line. Invite as many friends as you can, show them a good time and hope they turn into more than just a casual fan.

Comment

I dont think sdsu is going to convert the average sports fan to sdsu. If they make a game or 2 that's great. But I fell sdsu is stuck with its alumni base as the majority of its fans and growth. The current students need to stay engaged with the program after they leave the school. I know its shocking but I cant see sdsu tapping into growth of non sdsu associated sports fans.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

One of the ways we can make a difference is to invite others and bring them along. I invite lots of people every year but rarely bring them along. That's on me.

It would be easier with tickets. I would be interested in the Department's reaction to dropping two extra tickets in our season ticket envelopes for us to use to invite and bring new people in. I'm sure there are University rules and restrictions, we'd probably have to submit their names and SSN's to UPD so they could be checked against a master list of miscreants, but its an idea.

Comment

Also I find it funny how people want cheaper tickets, but they want to sell beer. If a beer is 7$ a pop, you'll buy that but we also want to lower prices??
                  The people not coming because tickets are too expensive and the people that aren't coming because beer isn't sold in the stadium are usually 2 separate groups.

Comment

Something like what? The prices aren't that different. Also, keep in mind the UNIdome was finished in 1976. The Dana was finished in 2016.
                    Sorry. I should have elaborated.

I guess I didn’t look that closely at my season ticket package options and just selected what I did last year. I don’t recall seeing flex options, multi pass, and other specials, like a beef bowl/hobo day package.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by BrerRabbit View Post
                      One of the ways we can make a difference is to invite others and bring them along. I invite lots of people every year but rarely bring them along. That's on me.

It would be easier with tickets. I would be interested in the Department's reaction to dropping two extra tickets in our season ticket envelopes for us to use to invite and bring new people in. I'm sure there are University rules and restrictions, we'd probably have to submit their names and SSN's to UPD so they could be checked against a master list of miscreants, but its an idea.
                      I LOVE the idea of dropping 2 extra tickets in with season tickets.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                        I LOVE the idea of dropping 2 extra tickets in with season tickets.
                        I'm not opposed to it, but there's some logistical considerations. First, those extra tickets are going to be non-premium games. There's no way the athletics department is going to give out free tickets to NDSU/USD/Hobo Day/Beef bowl. I'm also not sure on the exact number of season ticket holders we have (3k?), but you're talking about the department giving away somewhere in the 3-6k tickets for a single game? I'm sure there could be an exchange program set up that would allow you to donate your unused tickets back for resale, but that's still a ton of tickets to give away, even for a non-premium game.

Finally, if the goal here is to get more fans exposed, I'm not sure this is the best strategy. Considering that most season tickets are located in a few select area's of the stadium and are likely surrounded by other season ticket holders, your extra seats given out to your guests aren't going to be right by you because those seats are are ready taken. Your guests would be sitting by themselves for the game, unless you move over with them and leave your own seats. At the end of the day, you don't get to share the game atmosphere with the guests that you invited with the intent of showing them what they're missing by not coming to games. Instead, they'll be sitting amongst strangers in a potentially empty area of the stadium. I think it's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure that it would work and/or have that he intended outcome of growing the fanbase.

Comment

I might be a little disappointed with the crowd but I'm not really disappointed. I think it is about where I thought it would be.
                          SDSU has averaged more fans a game for the last 10 years than USD had for any home game they played last year. That includes the NDSU game.
                          SDSU attendance looks like it has leveled out over the last 10 years but I think that's a little am deceiving. SDSU has had home playoff games the last few years. Those games and played in November and December so they bring the average down.
                          SDSU could have built an indoor stadium but I don't think it would have effected total attendance much. The stadium would have been much smaller or somebody would have had to find a lot more money. I don't see SDSU building something as big as the Fargo Dome and the Dakota Dome probably won't have more total fans that Dykhouse Stadium regardless of weather.
                          SDSU probably averages about twice as many fans as they averaged 20 years ago. I don't think it will double again in the next 20 years because people just don't seem to care as much anymore. I was happy with the student section for this game I hope they can keep that up. More people seem to have "other things" going on in their lives now.
                          I do think that SDSU is trying some new things with tickets but some people want the best games for the cheapest prices. They will complain one way or the other. Either it's a no name team or it costs too much. TV, weather, prices and everything else don't help matters either.

Comment

Yes, that is exactly why I cited the age of the stadiums. New stadiums cost money. There is math that goes into how much money is needed. That is the reason they couldn't knock off $3-$5 per ticket. If they change something like selling alcohol, the equation would change and they might be able to charge less.
                            Apparently the math allowed three free tickets to the Drake game, which even at the cheapest rate to a "non-premium game" in my section gets close to $90. Other schools with newer stadiums, like UM, have reduced prices.

Comment

We all have great ideas. I'm sure Sell and other admin are working harder on it than we are. We just need to do our job and continue showing up. Also I find it funny how people want cheaper tickets, but they want to sell beer. If a beer is 7$ a pop, you'll buy that but we also want to lower prices?? People will find ways to spend their money. If its important to them, they'll come. My only idea is we have to get more people from S.F. But the dang Dakota Bowl and Presidents bowl being on days of our home games does't help. Heck they draw more than the 2 D2 schools combined in S.F. Get those games to Friday and I think we'd see a different crowd. I just think we are beating our head against a wall discussing attendance. It happens every year. Just be happy we have this awesome stadium and the players we get to watch!
                              One reason I started this thread is the irony you allude to regarding alcohol prices and increased attendance.

The fact is the Jacks aren't competing with UNI, Youngstown, or NDSU for more than maybe a handful of fans as game attendees. Rather, they're competing with Augie, USF, and maybe even USD (not to mention movie theaters, Thunder Road, etc.) for casual fans in the Sioux Falls area. Thus, if the Jacks' sole focus is other MVFC programs' ticket prices, they're unlikely to entice casual fans from Sioux Empire who can attend other events nearer Sioux Falls and still have time and money to burn afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                                Apparently the math allowed three free tickets to the Drake game, which even at the cheapest rate to a "non-premium game" in my section gets close to $90. Other schools with newer stadiums, like UM, have reduced prices.
                                The Drake game is a freebie as far as the athletic department''s concerned. They set prices for the other games to make the numbers work for 6 home games. Once the 7th got dropped in their lap, they had a lot of freedom to reduce prices/do different giveaways/promos/etc. I wouldnt look at free tickets to the Drake game as any indication of the budgeting and pricing of the other six games in a normal season. They're giving away tickets for that game because they can afford to do so without going in the red somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X