• Show
Clear All

• Re: Attendance & Alcohol

https://www.si.com/.amp/college/2020...mpression=true
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Wait, you're telling me it's not just an SDSU problem?

Cc: Matt Zimmer

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        Wait, you're telling me it's not just an SDSU problem?

Cc: Matt Zimmer
        So on the one hand he's criticized for not focusing on SDSU enough, but when he reports on an issue that players, coaches, fans, and Admin. all mentioned multiple times, he's the one you "cc"?

Not surprisingly, cost was yet again mentioned as one of the primary factors impacting attendance (and they were griping about $20 tickets to Gators games -- “It’s 20 bucks per ticket for UF games,” Hoover said. You pay in the beginning of the year for the whole schedule. They said that was a detriment, especially when you have so many other options for entertainment. Is it worth the $20-per-ticket price?”); in addition, as the SI article alludes to, even a school like Iowa has reduced its stadium capacity.

Lastly, the SI report asserted that Florida was only averaging just over 92 percent capacity (84,684 of 91,916). May SDSU eventually average just over 18k.

I'm willing to bet a chewed up stuffed 'Yote that reducing SDSU ticket prices increases attendance.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          So on the one hand he's criticized for not focusing on SDSU enough, but when he reports on an issue that players, coaches, fans, and Admin. all mentioned multiple times, he's the one you "cc"?

Not surprisingly, cost was yet again mentioned as one of the primary factors impacting attendance (and they were griping about $20 tickets to Gators game -- “It’s 20 bucks per ticket for UF games,” Hoover said. You pay in the beginning of the year for the whole schedule. They said that was a detriment, especially when you have so many other options for entertainment. Is it worth the $20-per-ticket price?”); in addition, as the SI article alludes to, even a school like Iowa has reduced its stadium capacity.

Lastly, the SI report asserted that Florida was only averaging just over 92 percent capacity (84,684 of 91,916). May SDSU eventually average just over 18k.

I'm willing to bet a chewed up stuffed 'Yote that reducing SDSU ticket prices increases attendance.
          Wasn’t the $20 ticket price gripe from students?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
            Wasn’t the $20 ticket price gripe from students?
            Yes, and speaking of students, I wonder how far the "it's not just an SDSU problem" mantra would get with the student athletes that were asking fans to back them.

Admin. is faced with the prospect of pricing out recent graduates, particularly those with families, who have expenses like student loan payments, rent, mortgages, etc.

I can't help but find it ironic that the beer sales proponents are also criticizing a reporter for mentioning declining attendance when that's one of the justifications AD's have used to advocate alcohol sales during games (e.g., "it's an amenity that can help attract fans."). Who's to say Justin Sell isn't in favor of media reports he can share with the Regents when proposing increased alcohol sales at Jacks games.

Comment

Not surprisingly, cost was yet again mentioned as one of the primary factors impacting attendance (and they were griping about $20 tickets to Gators games -- “It’s 20 bucks per ticket for UF games,” Hoover said. You pay in the beginning of the year for the whole schedule. They said that was a detriment, especially when you have so many other options for entertainment. Is it worth the $20-per-ticket price?”); in addition, as the SI article alludes to, even a school like Iowa has reduced its stadium capacity.

You don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                You don't get it.
                Pithy response. I am willing to bet even $35-$40 tickets to premium seats (rather than $50) here would do more to fill the stands than $7 alcohol.

I get that you apparently have an axe to grind with Zimmer, but he is hardly the sole criticizer of Jacks attendance.

Fact is, the Jacks have a "commuter" fan base, so unless they can convince fans in Brookings to appear in droves, they're going to need to account for the cost of travel and tickets to games. Reducing ticket prices directly does that; offering marked up beer assumes people will "eat" the cost of gas, tickets, and possibly hotels so they can swill the cerveza.

I've been open about being willing to compromise. What I "get," is that compromise seems to be a foreign concept to you.

Comment

Pithy response. I am willing to bet even $35-$40 tickets to premium seats (rather than $50) here would do more to fill the stands than $7 alcohol.

I get that you apparently have an axe to grind with Zimmer, but he is hardly the sole criticizer of Jacks attendance.

Fact is, the Jacks have a "commuter" fan base, so unless they can convince fans in Brookings to appear in droves, they're going to need to account for the cost of travel and tickets to games. Reducing ticket prices directly does that; offering marked up beer assumes people will "eat" the cost of gas, tickets, and possibly hotels so they can swill the cerveza.

I've been open about being willing to compromise. What I "get," is that compromise seems to be a foreign concept to you.
                  There were multiple cheap games this year, and it didn’t help attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                    There were multiple cheap games this year, and it didn’t help attendance.

Those reductions were made on relatively short notice. There's a difference between making temporary price reductions a week before the game and reducing prices at the outset.

Namely, fans can plan for the latter rather than hoping for the former and attempting to travel/budget on shorter notice.

Comment

Those reductions were made on relatively short notice. There's a difference between making temporary price reductions a week before the game and reducing prices at the outset.

Namely, fans can plan for the latter rather than hoping for the former and attempting to travel/budget on shorter notice.
                      I think if they can do that 2 for $20 deal all season long that would go a long way and I HOPE the Tarleton game has reduced pricing across the board. It would be great to pack the stands for a late season game. Agreed on needing more time notice for the cheaper tickets, they now have 7 months to get ahead of the season with pricing and promotions

Comment

I agree with Jake here. The 'cheap' games were announced the week prior to kick-off. That doesn't work for many people who would need to take time off work (my employer prefers a week notice for vacation requests).

I think more package deals would help some game attendance. Put UNI/USD/NDSU (one of them) in a package with one non-conference and one lower MVFC team and the latter will benefit from the former. Announce this after season ticket sales are 'completed', and I bet you get quite a few takers.
                        Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                        -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Your best ambassadors to the SDSU game experience are the season ticket holders. How about giving the tickets to Dixie State/Tarleton to the season ticket holders and let them show people why they love the SDSU game day experience. Let's be honest, no one is buying this ticket at this time of year. Give them to people committed to your event and see what happens. Maybe include one for each additional game ticket bought beyond the season tickets. That would allow the season ticket holder to host their friends twice without breaking the budget.
                          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                            I agree with Jake here. The 'cheap' games were announced the week prior to kick-off. That doesn't work for many people who would need to take time off work (my employer prefers a week notice for vacation requests).

I think more package deals would help some game attendance. Put UNI/USD/NDSU (one of them) in a package with one non-conference and one lower MVFC team and the latter will benefit from the former. Announce this after season ticket sales are 'completed', and I bet you get quite a few takers.
                            They did do this. Now the program severely lacks in advertising properly but they had multiple mini plans available to people after season tickets were sold.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Don’t we still have a new marketing firm that’s supposed to be solving all of these issues?

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                                Your best ambassadors to the SDSU game experience are the season ticket holders. How about giving the tickets to Dixie State/Tarleton to the season ticket holders and let them show people why they love the SDSU game day experience. Let's be honest, no one is buying this ticket at this time of year. Give them to people committed to your event and see what happens. Maybe include one for each additional game ticket bought beyond the season tickets. That would allow the season ticket holder to host their friends twice without breaking the budget.

One of the biggest potential perks they could give season ticket holders is to include the All Access online streaming pass to all season ticket holders--or even give something like a 50% discount for them (from the $89.95 yearly rate). The theory behind this is that this it might increase the number of out-of-town (i.e. Brookings) SDSU fans who would plunk down for season tickets--they'll know that they can see all the SDSU games even if you couldn't make it to Brookings in person. Or tie it to a Jackrabbit Club donation level. The latter might be a way to entice out of state SDSU alums/fans (like yours truly) to ante up. (Disclosure: I ante up into the J Club plenty right now, thank you very much.)

I realize the intent of the thread is to put more butts in the seats at DJD (and also at Frost), but another part of the equation is to maximize income in total, keep current fans, and get new ones.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X