Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Missouri State Bears

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
    Just curious when you say “they” are pushing beer sales who is “they”? Sell? Dunn? Both? And is this just your opinion or do you have some inside info?

Also not related to this post but the biggest factor to attendance is location imo. There are other factors but that’s the main one. When fans can come and make a day of it the effect is smaller but days like today make it tough to justify a long car ride.
    I suspect Cappin could be correct regarding Admin. considering alcohol sales given the increased HP presence this year.

JD, "laughed" about disco's "free ticket" response, but that's one factor that could possibly be addressed by implementing a "refer a friend" program where existing season ticket holders could receive incentives like free tickets, SDSU apparel, etc. when someone purchases a new set of season tickets and names the current season ticket holder as the person who "referred" them.

Location is interesting because it represents a variable over which Athletics could have more "influence" than one may expect, albeit indirectly. More specifically, they could try to capture the extent to which Brookings, Volga, Arlington, etc. residents attend Jacks games (I'd eventually add De Smet, Sioux Falls, Watertown and Huron but initially focus on towns in more immediate vicinity). If purchase rates are low (e.g. less than 20-30 percent), particularly among Brookings residents, they could try to develop more extensive ties with Bobcat football boosters (who attend HS games at DJD, right?) to explore what could help convince them to both attend Jacks games and advocate that others do so.

Wink's Jewelry sponsors the "kiss cam," so maybe they would be willing to develop a reward whereby showing a Jacks game ticket could net the ticket holder a specified discount on jewelry. The theater could offer something like free/discounted tickets and/or concession items with a ticket stub as a hook for casual fans to make it less of a dichotomous decision whereby the person feels they'd only attend the Jacks or go to a movie.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Here's the game story from the Springfield News-Leader website, under the headline "Same ol' Bears: Missouri State slaughtered by No. 7 South Dakota State". The author doesn't mince words.

https://www.news-leader.com/story/sp...te/1873904002/
      And having a 6000 attendance on a raining and cold day is our big problem. I appreciate all the suggestions and comments to improve our attendance. I have never felt negative about building a dome. Who knows that might be a plan way down the road.

Try being a MSU fan and enjoying a cold beer on a rainy day. You probably would need more than one. Coach Steckel was apparently the guy who was going to find a way to get out of the MVFC basement. Not looking good in Springfield, but there is always Branson to go to a show to cheer you up. Better them than us.
      Last edited by Nidaros; 11-04-2018, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
        I had free ticket opportunities from two different sources yet stayed in Sioux Falls. Poor weather, an expected blowout, the game on television, and three young kids that I didn't want to leave for half a day on a weekend kept me from going to see the game in person. Call it apathy if you'd like, but I consider myself a pretty hardcore fan. I just have other priorities in life that take precedent.
        I sorry to say my ticket is still on top of the frig along with two BB season tickets.

Comment

increased HP presence this year.

What is this all about Jake? Surely not Hewlett-Packard

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            I sorry to say my ticket is still on top of the frig along with two BB season tickets.
            If there is one thing that you should illustrate to many scratching their heads, you are a target market for the department. That is because you are a consistent donor because you have the assets to help keep the money coming to support the programs. You and many others that have the ability to make the support can and will miss games that are not pulling financial support when an absence occurs. It could be compared to receiving a gift card for a gift and not using prior to expiration. The company that issued the card still has the money. I would guess that ticket sales are important, but I would also guess that donors are more important. We certainly did not build DJD or BB practice facilities on a few fickle attendees for a game. Meanwhile, we can trouble shoot some ideas to put more rear ends in the seats to help make more noise on game day and the guys who job is to fund raise will still be very important.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              Just curious when you say “they” are pushing beer sales who is “they”? Sell? Dunn? Both? And is this just your opinion or do you have some inside info?
              Sell for sure, idk about Dunn. Sell has mentioned it publicly (not to any media outlet to my knowledge, but at small functions where he speaks) that he's pushing for it and he knows how big of a difference it would make.

As far as when/if it will happen, that's more up in the air and when I say that it is going to happen sooner or later (I think sooner than later, possibly within 5 years), that's purely my opinion.

Comment

So how bout that game?
                Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  JD, "laughed" about disco's "free ticket" response,....
                  I laughed because Disco, having identified his reason as one of apathy —his word choice — then responds with a parenthetical YAWN and gives a funny answer. I thought it was clever: a guy who admits he’s apathetic on the topic gives an apathetic answer.

There are always reasons people will have which cause them to select what they’re going to do with the recreation time. No one has a duty to attend SDSU athletic events. As the program maintains its high level of performance, the crowds slowly grow. The few bad-weather games we’ve had since the D1 move have been some of the most entertaining ones.

How about those Jacks kicking MSU around?

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                    Sell for sure, idk about Dunn. Sell has mentioned it publicly (not to any media outlet to my knowledge, but at small functions where he speaks) that he's pushing for it and he knows how big of a difference it would make.

As far as when/if it will happen, that's more up in the air and when I say that it is going to happen sooner or later (I think sooner than later, possibly within 5 years), that's purely my opinion.
                    Cool. Thanks.

After thinking about the attendance thing more and people talking about a dome I think the Montana schools prove a dome isn’t necessarily required for cold weather attendance. The temps in Bozeman and Missoula have to be similar to Brookings. One difference is wind. I don’t think those places generally get wind like SD. Sitting in 20 degree weather is one thing, 20 degrees with a 20 MPH wind is a different animal.

Comment

Montana makes a good point by using the Montana schools as examples. We have more wind but so far it seems the stadium and adjacent structures provide some protection.

Westside- any injury report from the game? By the way one ‘Rabbit (#7 Seven) was assisted off the field, I thought of a knee injury (just speculation)
                      Last edited by JackJD; 11-04-2018, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                        So how bout that game?
                        Lol, good point. Probably should start a separate thread about attendance.

I thought it was the most complete game we have played yet (not counting the APB blowout).

I think I am the most excited about our defensive line. Wow they played really well, and with so many guys. Earith definitely stood out both with the 2 sacks and run stopping with 2.5 TFL. Elijah Wilson also seemed to be around the ball a lot and recorded 2.5 TFL as well. Xavier and Krockett did a great job of plugging up the middle too. The D line as a whole may be the strongest and deepest unit on the team, and none of them are seniors with a lot of them freshman and sophomores.

Pierre Strong played his best game yet. Not just because of the 2 long runs, but he looked really confident in his cuts and really quick at accelerating after he made them, reminding me of Zenner a bit, being mostly a one cut and get vertical back. Seems like the game is coming to him with the more snaps he gets. It's exciting to think about Wilson/Strong being a 1-2 punch for 3 more years after this year.

TC looked good for the most part, especially on a crappy weather day. My only critique would be that TC and Cade need to get on the same page on those long balls. Especially on deep crossing routes, Cade has his guy beat so often, and it seems like TC thinks Cade's going to work up field, so he leads him there, but Cade keeps working across the field and they don't connect. I think they're getting better as you saw them connect on a couple deep balls later, but they have the potential to be really deadly.

The O line played really well and was the second most impressive unit outside of the D line. It was awesome to see Weir get back in. I saw them carrying his pads back to the locker room at some point in the 2nd half, I assume he wasn't hurt, but just on a pitch count being his first game back?

Hopefully Seven Wilson is alright, looked like maybe a pulled hamstring on kickoff coverage? Also, did Eddie Miller get hurt? I thought I heard Stig say something about Eddie being injured in his post game with Tyler.
                        Last edited by CappinHard; 11-04-2018, 08:20 AM.

Comment

The defense was absolutely smothering. The way the D swarmed to the ball—some of the best I’ve witnessed in person.

Rozeboom is so good that we may be taking him for granted but that guy is doing everything he can to get to the guy with the ball.

I focused on Earith on many plays. He was a nightmare for the offense. I cannot imagine the terror that quarterback had to feel as he saw 90 moving as fast as he moves, bearing down on him. When Earith wasn’t involved directly in a tackle, he should get an assist in the game stats because he was raising hell with someone and that contributed to another failed offensive play. Actually, the same can be said for everyone on that defense yesterday. Great leadership shown by many.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            I laughed because Disco, having identified his reason as one of apathy —his word choice — then responds with a parenthetical YAWN and gives a funny answer. I thought it was clever: a guy who admits he’s apathetic on the topic gives an apathetic answer.

There are always reasons people will have which cause them to select what they’re going to do with the recreation time. No one has a duty to attend SDSU athletic events. As the program maintains its high level of performance, the crowds slowly grow. The few bad-weather games we’ve had since the D1 move have been some of the most entertaining ones.

How about those Jacks kicking MSU around?
                            Should've clarified that the quoted "laughter" was because I knew you weren't being snide. I've drank the Jacks Kool Aid, and not to get morbid, but barring a death in the family, grievous injury, etc., I'l be at every home game. I just wish more folks would consistently share in what I think is a fun/entertaining experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              increased HP presence this year.

What is this all about Jake? Surely not Hewlett-Packard
                              Haha, increased Highway Patrol presence.

In keeping with the desire to get thread back to game action, Ogunrinde continues to impress me with his closing speed in pursuit of QB and run game.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                                So how bout that game?
                                Sorry, one reason I'm harping on attendance is that Zim and Jordan Brown specifically mentioned the dynamics of playing in a stadium with a sparse crowd during players' postgame presser. Plus, I'd hope we can all acknowledge that a raucous crowd makes it difficult for visiting team, particularly on offense.

Comment

Working...
                                X