Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Missouri State Bears

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    Did anyone else notice Jordan Brown "interacting" with the Bears' sideline at least 4-5 times?
    I don't hate it. I mean the Bears were trash talking when down 50. I'm sure he was politely reminding them of their place in the league

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitball View Post
      I don't hate it. I mean the Bears were trash talking when down 50. I'm sure he was politely reminding them of their place in the league
      I had mixed feelings. I like the fire, but it was noticeable enough for a ref to take issue with it.

My primary reason for asking was to see if anyone else might have noticed what it was stemming from. I truly thought Brown was addressing one of the assistant coaches, which seemed a bit odd in that I've rarely seen college players do that or coaches call out specific opposing players.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
        5,869 the attendance today. Ouch
        Bad weather. Lopsided win expected. TV game. Not a huge surprise.
        Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

There was one of their DBs in particular that liked to talk. #26-the one who got the unsportsmanlike. Maybe he was the one

Comment

I've had season tickets for several years, and I have never been asked what factors influence whether I attend a game. That leads me to believe casual fans probably aren't either, and I think it's an opportunity for Athletics to make inroads. One strategy would be to at least sample season ticket holders in other sports whose attendance at football games is more sporadic to derive data regarding the influence of variables like weather, travel, ticket prices, etc. A sports marketing student could even use that as his/her research project.
            The problem is you’re never going to be able to change what matters. And I’m not saying that the effort of the marketing is a lost cause but when people start pointing fingers blaming Sdsu marketing or ticket prices for why there isn’t a significant change in attendance then you’re kidding yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinJackrabbit View Post
              The problem is you’re never going to be able to change what matters. And I’m not saying that the effort of the marketing is a lost cause but when people start pointing fingers blaming Sdsu marketing or ticket prices for why there isn’t a significant change in attendance then you’re kidding yourself.
              Where I'm at with the whole situation is trying to determine the level of influence of the things they can change. That's not to say Marketing's to blame, but I do fear they're operating with insufficient data regarding fan preferences and decisionmaking criteria.

Comment

It may seem elementary, but there were many people young and old that watched the game on the television today. It was not due to marketing or interest in the outcome of the game. It was due to the fact that it was raining and cold today. I saw some young families today and the kids were oblivious to the weather. If you think everyone is able and willing to sit outside in today's weather or they are a casual fan, then you are likely operating on insufficient data. I know that there were significant numbers of people that did not attend and watched the game on television while the season ticket lay on the table. There may even have been some extra business in some of the bars with the game playing. Go figure.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Where I'm at with the whole situation is trying to determine the level of influence of the things they can change. That's not to say Marketing's to blame, but I do fear they're operating with insufficient data regarding fan preferences and decisionmaking criteria.
                  Fan preferences such as what? They built a gorgeous new stadium. Tailgating/alcohol?

Comment

Fan preferences such as what? They built a gorgeous new stadium. Tailgating/alcohol?
                    It doesn't have a roof or a heater in it....

Comment

I had mixed feelings. I like the fire, but it was noticeable enough for a ref to take issue with it.

My primary reason for asking was to see if anyone else might have noticed what it was stemming from. I truly thought Brown was addressing one of the assistant coaches, which seemed a bit odd in that I've rarely seen college players do that or coaches call out specific opposing players.
                      I noticed. You are right, it started after his PI and it looked like the MSU strength coach started jawing at him. Rozeboom was there too and on the next play he made his interception and stares down the coach. IMO, the coach was out of line. I’m happy Rozeboom had JB’s back.
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Those are two that receive a fair amount of commentary here, but as I've stated before, I'm not among the staunch tailgating advocates, and I think people are rowdy enough without stadium-wide alcohol sales.

Other options could include:
                        • Wider variety of family-friendly events pre and post-game
                        • Tweaking ticket rates and/or addressing lack of perks for ticket purchasers
                          • For example, they advertised an app for students which allows them to accrue points for rewards. If such an "infrastructure" exists for students, there's a decent probability a similar system could be developed for season ticket purchasers
                            • Relatedly, during today's game, they were handing out Midco scarves with SDSU colors and stocking caps with the Jacks logo from Poet, but the former were only being distributed outside the stadium, and the latter were not being distributed on the east side when gates initially opened
                              • I could be in minority, but giving away items like that at both main entrances seems like a relatively low-intensity strategy that rewards game attendees. Heck, I was excited to get a magnet with the schedule last year, but again, those were only left just sitting on a table on the west side entrance

• Travel/fuel costs
                          • Explore whether local hoteliers could offer discounted rates/incentives for Jacks fans who commit to staying at their establishments for a specified number of games/nights (e.g., a majority of the 6pm games)
                          • Explore offering discounted gas with Jacks tickets from selected stations
                            • SuperAmerica offers $0.01 off/gallon for every hit the Twins get when a person shows his/her Twins ticket, so maybe something similar would be an option

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                          I noticed. You are right, it started after his PI and it looked like the MSU strength coach started jawing at him. Rozeboom was there too and on the next play he made his interception and stares down the coach. IMO, the coach was out of line. I’m happy Rozeboom had JB’s back.
                          Ok, I was going to say I thought it was Lang, but I wasn't sure.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                            It may seem elementary, but there were many people young and old that watched the game on the television today. It was not due to marketing or interest in the outcome of the game. It was due to the fact that it was raining and cold today. I saw some young families today and the kids were oblivious to the weather. If you think everyone is able and willing to sit outside in today's weather or they are a casual fan, then you are likely operating on insufficient data. I know that there were significant numbers of people that did not attend and watched the game on television while the season ticket lay on the table. There may even have been some extra business in some of the bars with the game playing. Go figure.
                            Already acknowledged the data insufficiency. Where we seem to differ is curiosity about how to address that and predisposition to focus on factors we cannot feasibly address (short of adding a dome or "blacking out" games).

You seem to assume weather and TV were among primary factors. I've conceded that in prior posts, but that doesn't mean there weren't at least a few hundred and possibly a couple thousand who could be convinced to brave the elements with the right incentives (strategies which would be informed by acquiring additional data)

Comment

Those are two that receive a fair amount of commentary here, but as I've stated before, I'm not among the staunch tailgating advocates, and I think people are rowdy enough without stadium-wide alcohol sales.

• For example, they advertised an app for students which allows them to accrue points for rewards. If such an "infrastructure" exists for students, there's a decent probability a similar system could be developed for season ticket purchasers
                                  • Relatedly, during today's game, they were handing out Midco scarves with SDSU colors and stocking caps with the Jacks logo from Poet, but the former were only being distributed outside the stadium, and the latter were not being distributed on the east side when gates initially opened
                                    • I could be in minority, but giving away items like that at both main entrances seems like a relatively low-intensity strategy that rewards game attendees. Heck, I was excited to get a magnet with the schedule last year, but again, those were only left just sitting on a table on the west side entrance

• Travel/fuel costs
                                • Explore whether local hoteliers could offer discounted rates/incentives for Jacks fans who commit to staying at their establishments for a specified number of games/nights (e.g., a majority of the 6pm games)
                                  • SuperAmerica offers $0.01 off/gallon for every hit the Twins get when a person shows his/her Twins ticket, so maybe something similar would be an option
                              Another bit of data insufficiency. The motels make their money on weekends when stuff is going on. If anything, those of us from our of town pay premium prices on game weekends.
                              Last edited by West-River_Jack; 11-03-2018, 08:21 PM. Reason: Spr
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

• Travel/fuel costs
                                If they could magically decrease a ticket from $40 to $4 that might have an effect but a few dimes here and a few nickels there I’m not so sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X