Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-2019 Season Thread

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
    Come on Cappin if we don't win the next one that loss means nothing! Time to move on!
    I tend to the 'water under the bridge' view, although as I said at the time, all of the pre-conference losses were either games the Jacks should have won, or games they realistically could have won. That's the truly frustrating thing.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
      Come on Cappin if we don't win the next one that loss means nothing! Time to move on!
      I mean I get it, but those losses have a direct correlation to the seed that we would get, the team we would play, and subsequently the odds we would have of winning.

Comment

I get it also but still can’t believe how some can’t seem to get over this or that loss from months ago. How many times has Tulane been brought up here? Weekly? Had we won that game, we’d still be sitting here as SL champs with about a 50/50 shot at winning the SLT. Then the team would still need a big pile of March madness magic to shoot out of their minds from 3pt range to get a win against a 4-seed exactly like they would to get a win against a 5-seed.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
          I mean I get it, but those losses have a direct correlation to the seed that we would get, the team we would play, and subsequently the odds we would have of winning.
          I think the fact that this year's team didn't have any non-conference wins that rise to what could be called a "good" win is a bigger problem for seeding than losing to a team or two that we should have beaten. Last year's team beat Buffalo, Iowa and Ole Miss. It's hard to find any non-conference win this year that would rise to that level. If UNI was having a normal UNI year, that would qualify, but their mediocre season eliminates that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
            I get it also but still can’t believe how some can’t seem to get over this or that loss from months ago. How many times has Tulane been brought up here? Weekly? Had we won that game, we’d still be sitting here as SL champs with about a 50/50 shot at winning the SLT. Then the team would still need a big pile of March madness magic to shoot out of their minds from 3pt range to get a win against a 4-seed exactly like they would to get a win against a 5-seed.
            This. I can only imagine the boost to our resume if we had beaten Tulane.

Everything that the team set out to accomplish at the beginning of the year is still possible. It'll take winning the SLT as you say which is FAR from a guarantee.

I think as a fan base or at least on this board we are getting spoiled with the success of our men's team. One of these years we aren't going to win the SLT. Comments such as "The #1 seed isn't a big deal because we are going to with the SLT" make me cringe.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              I think the fact that this year's team didn't have any non-conference wins that rise to what could be called a "good" win is a bigger problem for seeding than losing to a team or two that we should have beaten. Last year's team beat Buffalo, Iowa and Ole Miss. It's hard to find any non-conference win this year that would rise to that level. If UNI was having a normal UNI year, that would qualify, but their mediocre season eliminates that one.
              Agree, we don’t have much in terms of quality wins, it’s going to take an upset or two to get better scheduling. Better scheduling leads to quality wins. It’s a long drawn out process.
              Last edited by Nidaros; 03-05-2019, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                Good point. I agree with this as well. Nevada would have been huge. We should have had Memphis, and Montana would have been nice. Like you said, it's too bad UNI didn't have their normally good year. Colorado State and Grand Canyon could have helped too.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  This. I can only imagine the boost to our resume if we had beaten Tulane.

Everything that the team set out to accomplish at the beginning of the year is still possible. It'll take winning the SLT as you say which is FAR from a guarantee.

I think as a fan base or at least on this board we are getting spoiled with the success of our men's team. One of these years we aren't going to win the SLT. Comments such as "The #1 seed isn't a big deal because we are going to with the SLT" make me cringe.
                  I do think that everything the team set out to do before the season is still possible but if they had a goal of winning a game in the NCAA tournament, it will be a lot more difficult dropping 2 or 3 seed lines with the way the regular season went.
                  I don't think winning the Summit League title is a given but at least we aren't in the other bracket with Fort Wayne, Omaha and USD. It would be little more difficult in that bracket. SDSU is set up about as good as can be expected.
                  I don't know how spoiled I'd call the fans on this board. This year was supposed the be "the year" with Daum and Jenkins Jr. You don't get a player like Daum hardly ever so you should aim big when you get them. But only having 4 (5 if Key was back) returning players hurt this team. Next year, it will be interesting to see where SDSU is predicted to finish in the league in the preseason poll but it will be more interesting to see where they finish.
                  To win a game in the NCAA tournament SDSU is going to need Daum, Jenkins Jr and Flatten to be really hot from 3-point land. T. King and Aires will do their thing but I think O.King and the rest of the bench will have problems with the speed and athletic ability SDSU will face (if they get there) being such a low seed.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                    I do think that everything the team set out to do before the season is still possible but if they had a goal of winning a game in the NCAA tournament, it will be a lot more difficult dropping 2 or 3 seed lines with the way the regular season went.
                    I don't think winning the Summit League title is a given but at least we aren't in the other bracket with Fort Wayne, Omaha and USD. It would be little more difficult in that bracket. SDSU is set up about as good as can be expected.
                    I don't know how spoiled I'd call the fans on this board. This year was supposed the be "the year" with Daum and Jenkins Jr. You don't get a player like Daum hardly ever so you should aim big when you get them. But only having 4 (5 if Key was back) returning players hurt this team. Next year, it will be interesting to see where SDSU is predicted to finish in the league in the preseason poll but it will be more interesting to see where they finish.
                    To win a game in the NCAA tournament SDSU is going to need Daum, Jenkins Jr and Flatten to be really hot from 3-point land. T. King and Aires will do their thing but I think O.King and the rest of the bench will have problems with the speed and athletic ability SDSU will face (if they get there) being such a low seed.
                    It's definitely tougher to win an NCAA tourney game when we drop a line or two. Historically, 12 seeds have more wins than 13-16 combined. That being said, given our schedule I'm not sure a 12 would even be realistic without some ridiculous record like 29-2 or something.

Let's take care of business in SF and see what we can do in the tourney.

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                      I expected this team to win the regular season conference title and they got it done. Never expected them to do it without losing a game either. Everything else this team wants to do is still in front of them.

However, I really thought with this team would notch a couple of real signature wins against potential ranked opponents. It didn't happen which isn't a big surprise.

Now, it is time for a business trip to Sioux Falls and get into the tournament. Defense needs to show improvement to win in SL Tourney and for sure if we are going to have a shot at a win or two in the dance.

Is it Saturday yet? Absolutely can't wait! Favorite few days of the year!

SUPERBUNNY
                      Its not the lack of a big signature win ...its the a couple of mind-numbing losses (FGCU, Tulane). They affect this teams seeding 1 or 2 spots, those are big. I'd rather be playing a 5 seed Marquette rather than a 3 seed Kentucky.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        It'll take winning the SLT as you say which is FAR from a guarantee.
                        What are you talking about? We've won the last 3 and boat raced our way to the championship each year... *Checks notes*

2016 - https://twitter.com/GoJacksSDSU/stat...99970557423616 (Needed a 10-0 run at the end of the game to beat ORU, Unreal that Rosga missed the front end of a 1 and 1 to tie it... Ball don't lie though)

2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHAgCoY9qbM (I forgot Peterson missed the front end of a 1 and 1 to set up Orris' shot), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_XcWHX3ZmY (I forgot Howell missed the front end of a 1 and 1 at the end, and I really thought Hollins' 3 was going in)

2018 - Had to come back from down 9 in the 2nd half vs. #8 seed WIU and it was a 2 point game with 39 seconds left.

Upon further review... I don't know if I can handle another SLT like 2016, 2017 and the first game of 2018... Please SDSU, let's get through this one without any major scares.

Comment

What are you talking about? We've won the last 3 and boat raced our way to the championship each year... *Checks notes*

2016 - https://twitter.com/GoJacksSDSU/stat...99970557423616 (Needed a 10-0 run at the end of the game to beat ORU, Unreal that Rosga missed the front end of a 1 and 1 to tie it... Ball don't lie though)

2017 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHAgCoY9qbM (I forgot Peterson missed the front end of a 1 and 1 to set up Orris' shot), https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_XcWHX3ZmY (I forgot Howell missed the front end of a 1 and 1 at the end, and I really thought Hollins' 3 was going in)

2018 - Had to come back from down 9 in the 2nd half vs. #8 seed WIU and it was a 2 point game with 39 seconds left.

Upon further review... I don't know if I can handle another SLT like 2016, 2017 and the first game of 2018... Please SDSU, let's get through this one without any major scares.

No kidding. When you put that kind of history together with how many close summit games we've played this year you know things are going to get tense in Sioux Falls. We lean pretty heavily on 3pt shooting and odds are that those shots are not going to be falling at a 40% clip for three games. Throw in this year's history of foul trouble for guys like Daum and King and Jackrabbit fans better buckle up!

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                            No kidding. When you put that kind of history together with how many close summit games we've played this year you know things are going to get tense in Sioux Falls. We lean pretty heavily on 3pt shooting and odds are that those shots are not going to be falling at a 40% clip for three games. Throw in this year's history of foul trouble for guys like Daum and King and Jackrabbit fans better buckle up!
                            If any team out of this one and the last 3 were going to put together a dominant SLT, you would think it would be this one. With the way Flatten is playing combined with Daum and Jenkins, plus T. King being so consistent, Arians providing solid contributions, and O. King coming along well... We realistically shouldn't have any issues. However, I'll guarantee it doesn't work out that way.

Comment

If any team out of this one and the last 3 were going to put together a dominant SLT, you would think it would be this one. With the way Flatten is playing combined with Daum and Jenkins, plus T. King being so consistent, Arians providing solid contributions, and O. King coming along well... We realistically shouldn't have any issues. However, I'll guarantee it doesn't work out that way.
                              I would take last year's team without any hesitation. I love the way Arians has developed, but senior Telly >>> freshman Arians. And I would take last year's bench of Severyn, Theisen and Key over a group of freshmen who have zero minutes of post-season action. That being said, I still see the Jacks as a strong favorite, but I don't see it being any easier than in past years.

Comment

Haha. After your first sentence I was like WHAT!?! Is he on crack or something....

Comment

Working...
                                X