Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jaxon Janke

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
    Answer's pretty easy to me, pull the RS. This team has a legit chance to make a run for Frisco, and our QB is way to special to not surround him with the best tools available and our Defense is way to good this season to waste.
    I'm with you! Play for now not what might be in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
      Answer's pretty easy to me, pull the RS. This team has a legit chance to make a run for Frisco, and our QB is way to special to not surround him with the best tools available and our Defense is way to good this season to waste.
      I'm with you too. We need 4-6 WR's because of the amount of routes they run(fatigue) and w/ injuries that still could occur. I'd play him as well. Punt return is an important part of field position in a game.

Comment

How about having Jadon and Jaxon switch jersey's for three games?

I hate to burn redshirts, but you play to win with the cards you are dealt. The injury bug and transfers have hurt, but the band must play on with who we have on the roster. We've burned a couple of redshirt eligibility years in the recent past, but it has been interesting how some of those players have been passed on the depth chart with younger talent. I'd love to have Jaxon for four years after this, but there is no guarantee that he will be healthy for those years nor at or near the depth chart.

Comment

I do think you have to play to win now but it's not that simple to me.
          You have to keep the receivers fresh to run routes even though some don't make catches. Since Jaxon has not caught a ball yet this season do you really need him running those routes? SDSU has only had 3, 2, 3, 2, 4 and 4 different receivers catch a ball during a game. This excludes the APB game.
          Can some of those passes go to TE's? There have been a few different TE's that have been used this season.
          I guess if he is the best punt returner you should probably use him but if he is just a decoy at WR, why?

Comment

Redshirting should be reserved for special cases of player development. If a player is good enough to help a team win now, get him out on the field. Don't tie up too many scholarships on the sideline, contributing nothing but hope and eating up crucial roster space.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
              I'm with you too. We need 4-6 WR's because of the amount of routes they run(fatigue) and w/ injuries that still could occur. I'd play him as well. Punt return is an important part of field position in a game.
              1. We already have 6 WRs outside of Jaxon.

2. Everyone keeps saying he's our 'best punt returner'... He's had 2 punt returns... 2.... And we're ready to burn a red shirt because he's just so good at them? Not to mention, they were against Illinois State, who is ranked 105th out of 124 in punt return defense, averaging 15 yards per return. I've never seen a bigger overreaction to 2 punt returns for 34 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                1. We already have 6 WRs outside of Jaxon.

2. Everyone keeps saying he's our 'best punt returner'... He's had 2 punt returns... 2.... And we're ready to burn a red shirt because he's just so good at them? Not to mention, they were against Illinois State, who is ranked 105th out of 124 in punt return defense, averaging 15 yards per return. I've never seen a bigger overreaction to 2 punt returns for 34 yards.
                IMO if we can't replace him in 3 years we have some serious recruiting issues.

Comment

Agree with both points brought up above. We, on this board, are definitely overreacting to two punt returns.

We should be able to find some other capable WRs by the time Jaxon leaves campus. One being the 2019 WR recruit from O'Gorman. Sounds like he could contribute early in his career.

This statement has been expressed by others on this board the past couple of years. I think the coaches are more apt to pull redshirts as they are likely far more confident in our recruiting abilities now than even 5 years ago. Facilities, playoff runs, past recruiting classes, etc all play into this.

Comment

Maybe it's not that easy to decide. Do players get to help decide? If he came with his brother he might not want to be different year classification? I hate to see a player use up a year in a minor role when in 4 years he would probably help the team more when he is 22 and not 18. I think it's a balance. Play for now but dont mortgage your future.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Redshirting should be reserved for special cases of player development. If a player is good enough to help a team win now, get him out on the field. Don't tie up too many scholarships on the sideline, contributing nothing but hope and eating up crucial roster space.
                      Not in football. Playing as a true freshman (outside of the 4 game exemption) should be reserved for special cases.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                        IMO if we can't replace him in 3 years we have some serious recruiting issues.
                        That's not the point. The point is that if you let him develop this year and fully utilize him for 4 full years, your return will be greater than if you use this year as one of his years of eligibility (as is the case with most college football players and the reason why almost all freshman redshirt unless he's an athletic freak out of high school or there's an immediate need, which neither seems to be the case for Jaxon at this point). Some of you can't see past the end of your noses.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                          Not in football. Playing as a true freshman (outside of the 4 game exemption) should be reserved for special cases.
                          The other positive about playing as a true freshman is if you have a year in which you get injured you will get a redshirt year. If you redshirt you will lose that year if you do indeed get injured. He could also play this season and redshirt next season. Lots of options for a young man and coaches to look at.

Comment

That's not the point. The point is that if you let him develop this year and fully utilize him for 4 full years, your return will be greater than if you use this year as one of his years of eligibility (as is the case with most college football players and the reason why almost all freshman redshirt unless he's an athletic freak out of high school or there's an immediate need, which neither seems to be the case for Jaxon at this point). Some of you can't see past the end of your noses.
                            I'm glad you reminded us, once again, that you are SOOO smart. #itGetsOld

Comment

Case in point... if we could have used the 4 game rule for Christion's freshman year, how many people would rather have had him red shirt that year, play Lujan when he was healthy again, and have TC only be in his junior year now and have his senior year next year? I would hope every single one of you would rather have that considering he's the best QB in the FCS now and we could have him for another year instead of looking to likely a red shirt freshman to step in and take the helm.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                                I'm glad you reminded us, once again, that you are SOOO smart. #itGetsOld
                                I'm not claiming that I'm "sooo smart". I'm just having a discussion and expressing my opinion. Isn't that what this board is for?

Comment

Working...
                                X