Concordia of Nebraska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concordia of Nebraska

Hard to believe that BB season has already started, but was good to see the women play and see some of the new faces. I realize this is a NAIA team, but this is the #1 ranked NAIA team in the country which means they are probably better than the bottom half of the Summit League. A few thoughts after preseason game one (and yes, I realize it's only one game):

Tagyn Larson- looks like the real deal! So athletic and smooth. Hit a couple of 3's and looked great doing it. She has the ability to be a 1st team All Summit League kind of player if the offensive part of her game can look like this all year. Defensively she is so long and agile and she really is good at protecting the rim. Probably not a true post defender as she's a little thin, but can take away a teams 3-4 and be a great weak side help defender. Really excited to see if her game looks like this all year as the opposition picks up!

Myah Selland- also the real deal! Looked really good with a good sense of the offensive game. She is just so fluid! Also a very good rebounder who attacks the boards. Her 3 ball was a bit off (on her one attempt...), but we know she is someone who can hit those. Only downside last night was too many careless turnovers. Has 1st team All Summit League and even player of the year type ability.

Paiton Burckhard- the true freshman was the 5th starter that we attempting to project prior to the season (at least for now). Really is playing the Ellie Thompson role. She is not as big and polished as Ellie was, but brings more athleticism and also didn't miss any wide open lay-ups. With the improved athleticism she may not be the defensive liability against the quicker teams we play (such as FGCU). She does need to learn that around the rim you can't bring the ball up over your head when someone is right behind you as had 2-3 shots knocked away by the defensive player from behind. But showed a nice touch from mid-range on a couple of attempts. Seems like we may have struck gold with another in state recruit!

Macy/Gabby- honestly really didn't do much in the Larson/Selland/Burckhard show. Readily apparent that these two are not going to force their game to score, but will play in the flow of the offense and do what's needed. Now in a big game they may be forced to take over more, and we already know what they can do. Nice to see that these two can have a middling game and the offense just continues to roll on.

I have a feeling that by the mid season we may have a starting 5 that's better than last year. This really depends on how Burckhard progresses and if Tagyn/Myah have made the strides that it appears they have. Exciting stuff!

As for the bench:

Syd Palmer- was first off the bench (with Irwin). Overall still appears to be best offensively as a catch-and-release three point shooter. Did try and penetrate a couple of times but didn't turn out very well when she did. Defensively still seems to be a bit of a tweener and gives up offensive rebounds as she is undersized. Plays her role.

Tylee Irwin- came in with Palmer. Didn't shoot the ball real well, but know she can. Is athletic and can hang with the 2/3's she will be matched up will. Did create some havoc defensively forcing some turnovers. I like that she has the look of someone who can be a contributor on both ends.

RCJ- was in with the next wave off the bench. Had a turnover early when Concordia went to a press, but overall handled it pretty well. Showed some real heady awareness with dribbling and penetration. Wasn't on with her shot, but again we know what her level with that is. Will be a quality player off the bench just like last year.

Lindsey Theunick- was the 9th player. Plays very similar to RCJ. A little quicker I think, but also a bit more out of control as well. Had one nice finish at the rim but didn't knock down her 3's. Based off her HS career she is someone who knows how to score, so I think this is another player who can develop into a nice player for us. She also showed some on-the-ball defensive tenacity. We will see if she can bring her effort to the level of someone like Alexander/Boever did. Love the idea of someone who can play D like Alexis but actually knock down open 3's.

Megan Bultsma- was the distant 10th player on the court. Had a good numbers game, but her points all came right at the rim as Concordia didn't have anyone her size to stop her. Her points were made where she could catch and shoot from within a couple of feet. Once she is required to actually take a step or create her own shot... I'm hoping that one of the two taller freshman can pass her on the depth chart very soon into the season.

The rest of the Freshman didn't get in until the waning minutes of the game, so it was hard to see much from them. There appears to be athleticism just watching them move and run the court. That is exciting with the size they bring.

Overall a good start to the season. The only real downside was the atrocious FT shooting in the first half, but that seemed to get cleaned up in the 2nd half. Seems like kind of an aberration as even Maddie G. missed her first two attempts.

Re: Concordia of Nebraska

I have to agree with what Steel presented. Myah and Tagyn definitely looked the part. I was also encouraged by Paiton and her play, the only thing that concerned me was she seemed to be lacking the conditioning of the other women on the team. Maybe that is her demeanor, time will tell.
    Sydney Stapleton got in a little bit before the other 3 freshmen and so I focused on her for a bit. She seemed from the moment she came in she was ready to play, she knew exactly what she needed to do, and the game wasn't too fast for her. Obviously it was a small sample size but I am intrigued none the less.

Overall, I thought Concordia was a excellent team, and a great team to open the season with. With the scrappy, in your face defense they have they should have a excellent season.

Comment

Good reports. I had the game on the radio but sure wish they’d provide video for these exhibitions. Work the A/V kinks out before the first “real” games - just like the players do.

It’s awesome to have basketball back though. Doubleheader coming next week already.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
        I have to agree with what Steel presented. Myah and Tagyn definitely looked the part. I was also encouraged by Paiton and her play, the only thing that concerned me was she seemed to be lacking the conditioning of the other women on the team. Maybe that is her demeanor, time will tell.
        Sydney Stapleton got in a little bit before the other 3 freshmen and so I focused on her for a bit. She seemed from the moment she came in she was ready to play, she knew exactly what she needed to do, and the game wasn't too fast for her. Obviously it was a small sample size but I am intrigued none the less.

Overall, I thought Concordia was a excellent team, and a great team to open the season with. With the scrappy, in your face defense they have they should have a excellent season.
        I actually thought the entire starting five looked to get a little winded. But it's not uncommon for the post to have more issues since they tend to be a little bigger and are having to run baseline-to-baseline. I'm sure coach will have them in shape and ready to play come the regular season. One thing I noticed about Paiton that I liked was that she didn't force the outlet pass after a rebound. I really hate watching someone rebound and then quickly try to outlet it only to have it stolen. She had a good sense for when there were defenders in that passing lane and would hold the ball or get it to someone else. Seems trivial, but something our women's bigs have had issues with from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
          I actually thought the entire starting five looked to get a little winded. But it's not uncommon for the post to have more issues since they tend to be a little bigger and are having to run baseline-to-baseline. I'm sure coach will have them in shape and ready to play come the regular season. One thing I noticed about Paiton that I liked was that she didn't force the outlet pass after a rebound. I really hate watching someone rebound and then quickly try to outlet it only to have it stolen. She had a good sense for when there were defenders in that passing lane and would hold the ball or get it to someone else. Seems trivial, but something our women's bigs have had issues with from time to time.
          I agree, she shows a high IQ on the court, especially as a true freshman, I do think it's drilled into their head to make the outlet pass quickly, of course that's crucial and important for the fast break, but sometimes a costly TO hurts more than maybe missing a fast break opportunity. Little time left to fine tune before we head into our difficult OOC schedule. I hope we show improvements from this first Ex-game and are firing on all cylinders the next game, we want to be as mistake free and working together as seamlessly and smoothly as we possibly can when we face Marquette on the road.

Really pleased we did so well when some of our best players didn't have their best night, like to see others pick up the slack in these types of games. We have a great chance with our potent offense to keep our pts per possession ratio high , good shooting, to's down, communicating and working together and getting shots just about every possession, a high percentage going in, that's how you wear any team down when they have to deal with that.
          Last edited by jackdaniel; 10-26-2018, 05:00 PM.

Comment

It will be dang sure nice to have a deeper post bench this year. If nothing else than to take up space. It looks to me we have about the best starting 4 we have ever had in recent memory. I will hope we can say 5 after a few games.

Comment

Working...
            X