Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Illinois State

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    You have to look at the 2 losses though, as they aren't equal... Last year they were @ a 6-5 Youngstown State that didn't make the playoffs and at home against a 7-4 UNI that squeaked into the playoffs. If we win out, this year's losses will look MUCH better (assuming UNI makes the playoffs, but even if they don't, the losses will still be better). The other teams fighting for the bottom 4 seeds might have similar records, but chances are they won't have better resumes.
    I understand the point you're trying to make, which said in another way is "strength of schedule". I do think who you lost to should be considered and has merit. However, the ultimate measuring stick, IMO, should always be who did you beat? Right now, our best win is over Montana State, they are also the only team we've beaten that has a winning record. Montana State does not have a single win against a team with a winning record and could very likely finish with a losing record themselves by season's end. Not a good look for us.

This game is huge. Just win!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      Hearing rumors that we are down another starter on offense.
      Yikes... Why not... What a brutal season for injuries. At this point, just hoping to squeak into the playoffs, get a decent 1st round match up, and hope the majority of the team is healthy by the 2nd round and go on a run.

Comment

Howdy guys - stopping by here.

If your d line plays nasty - they should be able to own that ISUr o line. They might be big, but they play tight and not well. NDSU had them on their backs for 3.5 quarters.

Y'all are young on the d side of the ball - if they come in with an edge and nastiness they will be able to get in the Redbirds heads early and they'll make mistakes. I'd say this game defines your season - if you can come out and dominate ISUr your chances for Frisco are still possible. If you can win close, still there. If you lose (possibly lose badly like the UNI game) then your hope is slim.

Goodluck. Go get 'em.
        2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedYellow View Post
          Howdy guys - stopping by here.

If your d line plays nasty - they should be able to own that ISUr o line. They might be big, but they play tight and not well. NDSU had them on their backs for 3.5 quarters.

Y'all are young on the d side of the ball - if they come in with an edge and nastiness they will be able to get in the Redbirds heads early and they'll make mistakes. I'd say this game defines your season - if you can come out and dominate ISUr your chances for Frisco are still possible. If you can win close, still there. If you lose (possibly lose badly like the UNI game) then your hope is slim.

Goodluck. Go get 'em.
          I agree with your breakdown of our Frisco chances riding heavily on this game. I think the vast majority of fans aren't too worried about our defense, they have been solid all year outside of ISUb. Offense has been very mediocre all conference season, would really like to see them start to put some things together

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
            Offense has been very mediocre all conference season, would really like to see them start to put some things together
            Idk if I would say that... Outside of the UNI game, our offense looked good against ISUb and YSU for sure, and even against NDSU, considering that game was in Fargo.

Comment

Stopping the ISUr run game is crucial to victory and has been a major concern the past years with the Redbirds. The second key will be turnovers. A big game by the defense stopping the run will bring victory on the road.

Comment

Idk if I would say that... Outside of the UNI game, our offense looked good against ISUb and YSU for sure, and even against NDSU, considering that game was in Fargo.
                ISUb- 522 yards UNI- 376 yards NDSU- 356 yards YSU- 322 yards. Other than the ISUb game I consider all those yardage totals pretty mediocre given the talent we have

Comment

https://twitter.com/sdsu_recruiting/...326702080?s=21

Graphic showing Jordan Brown's stats for the year. I lol'd at how they put "0 completions when pressed"... Maybe we should press him more often then...

Comment

Originally posted by westernjack View Post
                    ISUb- 522 yards UNI- 376 yards NDSU- 356 yards YSU- 322 yards. Other than the ISUb game I consider all those yardage totals pretty mediocre given the talent we have
                    Well I believe ISUb is leading the conference in ypg so maybe that stat is pretty highly overrated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                      Stopping the ISUr run game is crucial to victory and has been a major concern the past years with the Redbirds. The second key will be turnovers. A big game by the defense stopping the run will bring victory on the road.

Goodluck with that. And I'm not meaning that as a slight. Their RB1 is a beast and averaged a hilariously high YPC against us.
                      2011, '12, '13, '14, '15, '17 '18 & '19 FCS National Champions

Comment

This is a big one, for sure.

Normally, in this era (the past 4-5 years), it seems like the Jackrabbits have bounced back pretty well after a disappointing game.

I'm hopeful.

Comment

Originally posted by IBleedYellow View Post
                          Goodluck with that. And I'm not meaning that as a slight. Their RB1 is a beast and averaged a hilariously high YPC against us.
                          Agreed. If we play defense like we did against McCaster and Dunn, we'll be okay. If we play how we did against Keys and Weymiller... we'll lose.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

This game is on the D line imo. If they can play well in the run game and get pressure on the QB, I think we win. As IBY mentioned, ISUr's O line is big, but not that good. They key is obviously stopping Robinson, but also getting consistent pressue when they're forced to throw it. I think our offense will get back on track. Ideally we make them chase points and not be able to rely on the run game as much. It looks like you can take the top off of ISUr's defense, and as long as TC gets time to set his feet and throw, I expect the passing game to produce. I'm going with a 35-21 win.

Comment

This game is on the D line imo. If they can play well in the run game and get pressure on the QB, I think we win. As IBY mentioned, ISUr's O line is big, but not that good. They key is obviously stopping Robinson, but also getting consistent pressue when they're forced to throw it. I think our offense will get back on track. Ideally we make them chase points and not be able to rely on the run game as much. It looks like you can take the top off of ISUr's defense, and as long as TC gets time to set his feet and throw, I expect the passing game to produce. I'm going with a 35-21 win.
                              Agree that shutting down #25 is the key to winning. I don't agree that the d-line is the only group that needs to do that. They love to pull one and even two guards and we'll need to set the edge and not let him bounce it and we'll need linebackers and safeties to fill and tackle well. He is the most complete back we have seen besides the brief few plays with Iowa State. They will not give up on the run. They will run it 30-35 times and mix in about 10-12 play action passes.

Comment

If Scotty Kwas and Peterson were correct with the weather forecast for tomorrow that they gave on the WBB broadcast last night, (45 degrees and rain) it doesn't bode well for the passing game.

Comment

Working...
                                X