GDT: @ Northern Iowa Illegal Cologne Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Northern Iowa Illegal Cologne Ingredients

Listened on the radio. The UNI crowd could be heard, but it was homecoming.

Comment

There was lots that went wrong yeaterday, all around. We did not lose because of the onside all yesterday. However, there is no doubt that kicking it deep in that scenario gave us the best chance to win. Onside kicks are low percentage as is, and rarely work. If we had opted for the onside with less than 3 minutes on the clock, that'd be understandable. But with 6.5 minutes left, that call was absolutely the wrong decision. I'm still shocked by it this morning, to be honest. I don't know of Stig made the call, or he let the special teams cooridnator do what he felt was best, but that was an absolutely baffling decision, and one that 99.9% of coaching staffs in America from pewee to NFL would not make in that specific situation. There is no justification out there that Stig or any other coach can come up with that will excuse that call in my mind. I don't care if they "saw something" in UNI's alignment or not. Onside kicks are so hard to execute properly and the idea that we would be able to exploit some alignment is extremely narrow sighted and completely disregards the low chances of having everything go right and the high risk of giving them the ball at our OWN 48 yard line.

There are bad coaching calls (see swing pass), bad game management (see Missoula 2009), and just days that the team is off (plenty of those examples to look up). All coaching staffs have things like the above happen, and I won't pile on too much in those realms. It was not a good day on that end, but the world is not over.

But calls like the onside are on another level. And before anyone comes in with a "do you think you could have done it better", yes, I do believe I could have done it better. I think a majority of this board could have made a better decision in that moment. I think every drunk frat boy in America could have made a more calculated, logical decision in that moment than our staff did. I will never understand it, and there is no justification in my books that points to it being a call that should have been made or even considered.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
        The video I linked to was one with Tyler, and he asked him specifically about the onside. I also referenced his response, failing to add that Stig said "we play to win" and that if it'd worked out, they'd look like geniuses, and hindsight's 20/20.

The impact on the defense is up for debate, as an alternate perspective is that the gamble tells them that you're willing to be that the defense would be able to stop subsequent drive with less time remaining (and when they'd potentially be protecting Jacks' lead, if Jacks had recovered onside and scored TD)
        I don't think anyone could explain it better than this. Good old 20/20.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          I don't think anyone could explain it better than this. Good old 20/20.
          Exactly. He admitted that it was a bad coaching decision.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

The onside kick was the wrong decision no doubt. Giving UNI great field position at that point of the game was not “smart.” Did Stig’s laminated sheets hanging around his neck get tight and told him to try this horrible call?

The excuse about injuries and depth causing the team to play poorly is just that, an excuse. All pre season and fall everyone sang the praises of how deep and talented this team is this year. Time to show the talent. When the team loses it’s because the team (coaches and players) didn’t play well and when they win it’s a team win no matter who plays. I believe the same redshirt freshmen or backups weren’t the excuse when the Jacks won so stop blaming when they lose a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
              The onside kick was the wrong decision no doubt. Giving UNI great field position at that point of the game was not “smart.” Did Stig’s laminated sheets hanging around his neck get tight and told him to try this horrible call?

The excuse about injuries and depth causing the team to play poorly is just that, an excuse. All pre season and fall everyone sang the praises of how deep and talented this team is this year. Time to show the talent. When the team loses it’s because the team (coaches and players) didn’t play well and when they win it’s a team win no matter who plays. I believe the same redshirt freshmen or backups weren’t the excuse when the Jacks won so stop blaming when they lose a game.
              Good old 20/20. When you have a 3 of a kind in video poker on the first draw and then push the draw button and the 4th is no where to be found, you lose the big prize and settle for a lesser winning, as we did yesterday. I dont agree that the onside was a wrong decision, it was not a winning decision as the game turned out. I cant get over how when Coach Stig takes a chance and it falls short, many posters here are calling him out for not being predictable and cautious and doing the conservative play calling. A normal kickoff may have resulted in a march down the field eating the UNI clock and a UNI TD. Our defense as courageous as they played might not have been able to hold off a UNI march. (BTW a 4 of a kind pays many more credits than a 3 of a kind in video poker).

Comment

Good old 20/20. When you have a 3 of a kind in video poker on the first draw and then push the draw button and the 4th is no where to be found, you lose as we did yesterday. I dont agree that the onside was a wrong decision, it was not a winning decision as the game turned out. I cant get over how when Coach Stig takes a chance and it falls short, many posters here are calling him out for not being predictable and cautious and doing the conservative play calling. A normal kickoff may have resulted in a march down the field eating the UNI clock and a UNI TD.
                Based on the flow of the game to that point, and how our d was playing, they would not have just marched down the field.

The onside makes sense under these scenario's to me:

1) Down by 2 scores and need to get as many points up as possible as fast as possible
                2)We're in a shootout and we can't trust our D
                3) There's about 2-3 minutes of game time left

None of those scenarios were in play yesterday, and there's no reason to think that UNI would have broken our backs with a long drive. And even if they did, it's still the right call. One score game with 6 minutes left, and your d has played great all day. If they fall apart at the end of the game, so be it. Based on the previous 55 minutes of game time, you gave yourself the best chance to win and they came up short.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                  Based on the flow of the game to that point, and how our d was playing, they would not have just marched down the field.

1) Down by 2 scores and need to get as many points up as possible as fast as possible

None of those scenarios were in play yesterday, and there's no reason to think that UNI would have broken our backs with a long drive. And even if they did, it's still the right call. One score game with 6 minutes left, and your d has played great all day. If they fall apart at the end of the game, so be it. Based on the previous 55 minutes of game time, you gave yourself the best chance to win and they came up short.
                  Believe Dalton Cox was injured earlier, and Stig also mentioned that Seven Wilson had to be replaced by Backhaus, who was dealing with injuries of his own. Granted, that could be encompassed by the "trust issues" item you list, but connotation likely slightly different.

Comment

Good old 20/20. When you have a 3 of a kind in video poker on the first draw and then push the draw button and the 4th is no where to be found, you lose the big prize and settle for a lesser winning, as we did yesterday. I dont agree that the onside was a wrong decision, it was not a winning decision as the game turned out. I cant get over how when Coach Stig takes a chance and it falls short, many posters here are calling him out for not being predictable and cautious and doing the conservative play calling. A normal kickoff may have resulted in a march down the field eating the UNI clock and a UNI TD. Our defense as courageous as they played might not have been able to hold off a UNI march. (BTW a 4 of a kind pays many more credits than a 3 of a kind in video poker).
                    We have to go by what we know. So, what we know is that the defense had held UNI to punts on their previous plays. We also know that the onside kick was directly responsible for the great field position and their ability to kick a field goal. Those tell me that the wrong decision was made at that point in the game.

Like it or not, the buck stops at the head coach. He has the final say on any of the "trick" plays I believe. There is a difference between being "predictable and cautious " and just flat out making the wrong call.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post

Pretty good air chair coaching. I trust our staff, they gambled with decision and it did not work, but would have been as Stig said geniuses if it had worked.

Comment

Pretty good air chair coaching. I trust our staff, they gambled with decision and it did not work, but would have been as Stig said geniuses if it had worked.
                        And I would be a billionaire if i had won the mega millions. We have to make our judgements based on results. The result is that the play called ended up giving the opposition a chance to extend their lead.

Of course, the way the offense was playing, I'm not sure we even score a TD with a recovered kick.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                          And I would be a billionaire if i had won the mega millions. We have to make our judgements based on results. The result is that the play called ended up giving the opposition a chance to extend their lead.

Of course, the way the offense was playing, I'm not sure we even score a TD with a recovered kick.
                          So it did! And I did not get a 4 of a kind all last week

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            Like it or not, the buck stops at the head coach. He has the final say on any of the "trick" plays I believe. There is a difference between being "predictable and cautious " and just flat out making the wrong call.
                            Yes Coach Stig has the final say in every decision. Hindsight again tells you it was a wrong call. One card short of being a genius.

Comment

Yes Coach Stig has the final say in every decision. Hindsight again tells you it was a wrong call. One card short of being a genius.
                              It was the most bizarre calls I've seen in a long time. Your defense is playing well. UNI would have to be somewhat conservative with 6 minutes to go. I could see it if we were not getting stops and the score was 41-37. It just didn't make any sense at the time. A trick play on offense that works 30% of the time I'd be good with , but an onside that works 20% of the time and sacrificing 30 yards and complete momentum of the game was shocking.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                                It was the most bizarre calls I've seen in a long time. Your defense is playing well. UNI would have to be somewhat conservative with 6 minutes to go. I could see it if we were not getting stops and the score was 41-37. It just didn't make any sense at the time. A trick play on offense that works 30% of the time I'd be good with , but an onside that works 20% of the time and sacrificing 30 yards and complete momentum of the game was shocking.
                                I cannot argue with your logic, if they could have the play back. I am certain something else like a normal kick-off have occurred

Comment

Working...
                                X