GDT: @ Northern Iowa Illegal Cologne Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Northern Iowa Illegal Cologne Ingredients

I haven't read through this thread yet, but obviously not much positive happened yesterday. Kudos to the D for stepping up, they played their asses off. Kunz looked like real great in the few opportunities he had, Anderson played well again and it was nice to see Deyon out on the field finally. You know we were ****ed offensivley though when Deyon was taking the first carry of the game and Wandmaker was running with the 1's at wideout.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
      I haven't read through this thread yet, but obviously not much positive happened yesterday. Kudos to the D for stepping up, they played their asses off. Kunz looked like real great in the few opportunities he had, Anderson played well again and it was nice to see Deyon out on the field finally. You know we were ****ed offensivley though when Deyon was taking the first carry of the game and Wandmaker was running with the 1's at wideout.
      I think the lack of production from the TEs over the entire year has been puzzling. Is it because the coaching staff doesn't have trust in them? Does TC not have trust in them? We all knew that there would be a production drop off, but I expected a bit more out of this group. Perhaps with the inexperience on the line, they are relying on them blocking more?
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
        I think the lack of production from the TEs over the entire year has been puzzling. Is it because the coaching staff doesn't have trust in them? Does TC not have trust in them? We all knew that there would be a production drop off, but I expected a bit more out of this group. Perhaps with the inexperience on the line, they are relying on them blocking more?
        I really was expecting a break out year for kavanugh.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
          The excuse about injuries and depth causing the team to play poorly is just that, an excuse. All pre season and fall everyone sang the praises of how deep and talented this team is this year. Time to show the talent. When the team loses it’s because the team (coaches and players) didn’t play well and when they win it’s a team win no matter who plays. I believe the same redshirt freshmen or backups weren’t the excuse when the Jacks won so stop blaming when they lose a game.
          The "excuse" about injuries and depth causing the team to play poorly is not just an excuse, it's one of the main reasons why the Jacks lost yesterday. In particular, the injuries on the O line. If you sit back and look at the real reasons we lost yesterday, imo they are:

1. O line injuries - you can't sustain that many injuries on the O lne and expect to play well against one of the best D lines in the FCS. The RBs didn't have much room and TC definitely didn't have much time.
          2. RB injuries - having either Wallace or Wilson yesterday would have made a huge difference
          3. Poor offensive play calling - obviously swing passes on 3rd and long need to go away forever, but beyond that there were other questionable calls, although he might have been limited by the O line injuries
          4. Poor situational coaching - onside kick, not having the O ready after a kickoff return

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
            Pretty good air chair coaching. I trust our staff, they gambled with decision and it did not work, but would have been as Stig said geniuses if it had worked.
            All due respect to him, there's nothing Stig could do from a game/time management standpoint to make me call him a genius. He's proven himself inept IN THAT CATEGORY far too often. I emphasize in that category, because I don't think Stig is a horrible coach. There are coaches at all levels who are poor managers of game and time. It certainly isn't the only thing that determines the quality of the coach. I do feel that it's very often undervalued though.

Comment

So Saturday I was angry. Then the Brewers lost and I was very angry. Then I spent the day with the family and I feel better. Still angry, but better.

Our defense played great. Offense got field goals when we needed touchdowns. We had a couple costly drops. We out gained them, narrowly won TOP, and held them to less points on offense than anyone not in the B1G did this year. That includes ndsu. We actually held them to half the points they did. The season isn’t lost.

TBH the amount of angst and discussion over the loss is a good thing. It shows how far our program has come. Our fan base no has high expectations and that’s a great thing going forward. It’s a loss we shouldn’t have as the number 2 team in the country. We obviously aren’t a top 5 team right now. It’s college football and that can change. We could be a very different team going into the playoffs than we are right now, but we lost to a GOOD team that has its backs against the wall (per usual) and seems to have finally got its game plan figured out. IF we win out, the way that the FCS has been lately, we still have a good chance at getting a seed. Have to win next week though. We haven’t lost back to back games in a long time. Let’s see how we respond, and hopefully we get some guys healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Being at the game, the onside kick was interesting. If the kicker hadn't hit it so hard, UNI had already completely vacated that area. Easy recovery for any of the 4 Jacks in that area. However, the kicker booted it a bit too hard, and UNI got great field position. The same could be said for the 3 or 4 overthrows TC had on deep open receivers.

The onside kick was an odd call for the timing, but perfect execution would have made it a success. The coaches can only do so much, and end up with egg on their face if it doesn't work out.
                Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
                  Being at the game, the onside kick was interesting. If the kicker hadn't hit it so hard, UNI had already completely vacated that area. Easy recovery for any of the 4 Jacks in that area. However, the kicker booted it a bit too hard, and UNI got great field position. The same could be said for the 3 or 4 overthrows TC had on deep open receivers.

The onside kick was an odd call for the timing, but perfect execution would have made it a success. The coaches can only do so much, and end up with egg on their face if it doesn't work out.
                  For those of you interested you can tune in the radio show tonight at 6pm. You can submit questions to Tyler via twitter. Ask about the on-side kick if you want.

Unfortunately, I wasn't totally locked in on Saturday so I don't have my own read on the on-side. However, the above makes sense. Last week (?) when we ran the fake field goal and Vinny scored a touchdown we were edgy and finally showing some balls to take a gamble on special teams. Eck was a genius. This week it doesn't work and Stig is a moron. Whatever guys. We execute the kick and it is another genius move. Huge momentum maintainer and we give the O another chance. I would like to see the video, but I am ok with the call. At some point you have to trust your players to do their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                    For those of you interested you can tune in the radio show tonight at 6pm. You can submit questions to Tyler via twitter. Ask about the on-side kick if you want.

Unfortunately, I wasn't totally locked in on Saturday so I don't have my own read on the on-side. However, the above makes sense. Last week (?) when we ran the fake field goal and Vinny scored a touchdown we were edgy and finally showing some balls to take a gamble on special teams. Eck was a genius. This week it doesn't work and Stig is a moron. Whatever guys. We execute the kick and it is another genius move. Huge momentum maintainer and we give the O another chance. I would like to see the video, but I am ok with the call. At some point you have to trust your players to do their jobs.
                    The fake field goal occurred at a time that wasn't going to directly impact the game, the other was at a time that it was going to directly change the outcome of the game. The defense had 2 straight 3 and outs and you took all momentum away at that point. That onside needed to take place in the 2nd or 3rd quarter when we were struggling with momentum. For the defense, it was a slap in the face that they didn't have the ability to get the offense the ball back, down 5 with 6 minutes to go. Listen to the TV broadcast, all three announcers were all completely miffed by the call. Our offense played poorly and didn't execute, but it also was a poorly coached game as well. A 3rd and 10 and a 3rd and 8 run call in the 1st half were puzzling to say the least. The 3rd and 5 QB sweep to TC late in the game was even more puzzling. Boot or QB draw I can live with in that situation. 2 delays of games one after a kickoff should never happen. Coming from a coach, play calling is not an easy thing, but Saturday was a tough day. I will say, UNI's defensive game plan was really good. They switched up coverages, defensive fronts, and were not afraid to send pressure at times. Players do decide games, but if you don't think coaches or coaches decisions factor in to outcomes you are dead wrong. Saturday I was mostly miffed that our coaches haven't figured out what some of the players do best and what limitations they have.

Comment

Saturday was like a train wreck in more ways than one. I wanted to look away but just couldn't. The predictability of State's offense was amazing. In the first half it was run, run (3rd & 8) pass. Then the half time adjustment was to throw it on every down. At some point mix it up please. That game was a difficult watch.....

This is team better have a short memory. Another difficult road test this Saturday.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

After taking another look at the onside kick attempt... It was actually really open. If Chase has a decent kick, the chances of recovering that were really really good based on the look UNI had. Chase just mis-kicked it and the rest is history. Stig indicated that it was something that the coaches saw in film, and they were right. That onside kick attempt was nowhere near the reason we lost the game. Whether we should have tried it or not, that's a debate, but tbh the way our offense was playing, the injuries we had, the way Eidsness was calling the game, and the way UNI's defense was playing, I don't think we were getting in the endzone anyway.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is TC's pick he threw early in the 3rd quarter. We were down 3-7 in the 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter, we were driving and got in the red zone, Eidsness calls 2 run plays up the gut on 1st and 2nd down (imagine that), then TC throws behind Cade Johnson bad on a play that could have been a first down with a well thrown ball. That completely changed the complexion of the game, as UNI went and scored a TD off that to go up 14-3. I love TC, but when the O line isn't giving him time, his clock speeds up sometimes and he can make ill advised throws. On that play, if he would have looked off Cade, who was pretty heavily covered, Jacob Brown had beat his man and was open for an easy 1st down.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          After taking another look at the onside kick attempt... It was actually really open. If Chase has a decent kick, the chances of recovering that were really really good based on the look UNI had. Chase just mis-kicked it and the rest is history. Stig indicated that it was something that the coaches saw in film, and they were right. That onside kick attempt was nowhere near the reason we lost the game. Whether we should have tried it or not, that's a debate, but tbh the way our offense was playing, the injuries we had, the way Eidsness was calling the game, and the way UNI's defense was playing, I don't think we were getting in the endzone anyway.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned much is TC's pick he threw early in the 3rd quarter. We were down 3-7 in the 2nd drive of the 3rd quarter, we were driving and got in the red zone, Eidsness calls 2 run plays up the gut on 1st and 2nd down (imagine that), then TC throws behind Cade Johnson bad on a play that could have been a first down with a well thrown ball. That completely changed the complexion of the game, as UNI went and scored a TD off that to go up 14-3. I love TC, but when the O line isn't giving him time, his clock speeds up sometimes and he can make ill advised throws. On that play, if he would have looked off Cade, who was pretty heavily covered, Jacob Brown had beat his man and was open for an easy 1st down.
                          The problem was that the O-line wasn't giving TC a whole lot of time on Saturday. He wasn't sacked, but he seemed to be hurried more often than not in the 2nd half.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

It was a rough game. Learn from it and improve, and get better.

Farley is tough on the Jackrabbits.

I'm not going to be overly emotional about it. It is what it is. I expected to lose a few games this season.

Comment

Unless I missed something, this was the first time since 9-28-13 vs NDSU (at CAS) that we've not scored a touchdown. Quite a feat by the UNI D, props to them.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

Having said that about TC, on the 2nd drive of the game for SDSU, we got into the red zone again, and TC had 2 great throws on 1st and 2nd down, but Wandmaker and Campbell couldn't come up with the receptions. Sometimes it just comes down to guys needing to make plays. TC played well early, but seemed to be rattled after so much pressure. After those 2 plays, we had 3rd and 10, and Eidsness calls a sweep run that goes for 0 yards. WTF... that sets up a long 48 yd FG that Chase misses.

The bigger problem imo is Eidsness' play calling. Here's a summary of all of Eidsness' 3rd down calls that failed to convert:

1st half:
                                3rd and 7 - Swing pass - no chance he gets the 1st if he catches it, incomplete
                                3rd and 10 - Sweep run - 0 yds
                                3rd and 3 - down field pass - heavy pressure and good coverage, incomplete
                                3rd and 8 - down field pass - heavy pressure and good coverage, incomplete
                                3rd and 8 - sweep run - 0 yds
                                3rd and 9 - down field pass - heavy pressure and good coverage, incomplete

2nd half:
                                3rd and 7 - down field pass - bad pass by TC way behind receiver, interception
                                3rd and 14 - down field pass - completion for 7 yards, short of 1st
                                3rd and 3 - down field pass - bad pass by TC into traffic and behind receiver, tipped for incomplete
                                3rd and 7 - swing pass - no chance he gets the 1st if he catches it, incomplete
                                3rd and 6 - QB sweep run to short side of field - stuffed for 0 yds and holding penalty
                                3rd and 16 - down field pass - completion for 7 yards, short of 1st
                                3rd and 5 - delay of game penalty - this one was tough, got snapped RIGHT after the clock went to 0, a lot of times you'll see the refs let those go if it's close
                                3rd and 10 - swing pass - would have got lit up if he caught it, incomplete
                                4th and 5 - down field pass - bad pass by TC into traffic, tipped for incomplete

Obviously you have to give credit to UNI's defense, they played really well. Also, some of the blame is TC and the O line, as they didn't have great games. However... Eidsness needs to realize that horizontal plays on 3rd and long have no f-in shot of being converted for a 1st down. Here are the successful 3rd down plays:

3rd and 3 - down field pass - 13 yard completion
                                3rd and 4 - down field pass - 11 yard completion
                                3rd and 3 - down field pass - 6 yard completion
                                3rd and 8 - down field pass - 16 yard completion
                                3rd and 10 - down field pass - 21 yard completion

Idk about you guys... but I see a trend emerging here... 3rd down conversion rates:

down field pass 38.5% (5-13)
                                swing passes/sweep runs 0 % (0-6)

I don't have the time, but I can about guarantee you'll see a similar story in other games, if not all of them. Eidsness needs to start answering some questions.

Comment

Working...
                                X