GDT: @ Northern Iowa Illegal Cologne Ingredients

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: @ Northern Iowa Illegal Cologne Ingredients

I had a bad feeling about this when I saw the list of players who where out. We our a beat up football team that the wheels are barely moving anymore. You can’t blame the D they played good just where on the field to way much the 2nd qtr on. The one thing I was shocked on the offensive play was the dedication to running the football. With all the lineman we had out. I think we needed to get TC in a rhythm early throwing the football and we never did. Way to many 3 and outs. It was obvious to me that they where keying on the run and making us throw and it seemed that we would get behind the chains and just give up on drives. That puts way to much pressure on defense that has a lot of injuries also. We are not the same team we where against NDSU.
    Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

In-laws came over for supper so I stopped watching right as UNI scored the TD to go up 14-3. I stayed away from phone/tv until they left and picked up on the replay where I left off hoping something clicked while I enjoyed supper with the fam and in-laws.

Hurt players or not, that was a STUNNINGLY bad performance by the O. Like many others my mouth dropped to the floor at the onside kick. Unreal call.

Also, Deyon Campbell either came back too early from whatever injury he had, or he's just not ready for the physicality of the college game yet. He was hurt and went off the field every time he got tackled.

I'll stop there.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Bad day for #2 ranked teams. FBS #2 Ohio State down 49-20 to unranked Purdue.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
          It's ok to criticize the coaches once in awhile. Contrary to popular belief by some, Stig doesn't walk on water, he's not immune to criticism because he's a good guy and he is not the greatest coach that has ever lived. Just like players, he and the other coaches can have a bad day. Stig had one today
          Hopefully there's an acknowledgment that some of the rhetoric goes beyond mere criticism for a bad day (e.g., a couple posters have referred to him as a perpetually mediocre coach). I've mentioned before that even coaches like Klieman have made questionable decisions, some of which occurred in games against the Jacks, and Stig's career record and string of playoff berths, which includes playoff wins, is not indicative of mediocrity.

He took ownership for what even he characterized as poor coaching in this video and suggested that the direction of the onside kick was off. Who knows whether that would've made a difference, and I admit the strategy baffled me. There's still plenty of season left. Hopefully they take out their frustrations on the Redbirds next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
            I had a bad feeling about this when I saw the list of players who where out. We our a beat up football team that the wheels are barely moving anymore. You can’t blame the D they played good just where on the field to way much the 2nd qtr on. The one thing I was shocked on the offensive play was the dedication to running the football. With all the lineman we had out. I think we needed to get TC in a rhythm early throwing the football and we never did. Way to many 3 and outs. It was obvious to me that they where keying on the run and making us throw and it seemed that we would get behind the chains and just give up on drives. That puts way to much pressure on defense that has a lot of injuries also. We are not the same team we where against NDSU.
            But we’ve developed this incredible amount of depth. There’s no way injuries are an excuse. Just read some thread from pre season and the first few games.

Comment

Stig has done great things for the program, and certainly is deserving of some benefit of the doubt. However, that onside kick can be added to a fairly lengthy list of questionable in game decisions over the years. Call me out of line, but his game and time management are piss poor far too often. It can go unnoticed or thrown under the rug in games that are well in hand, but in close meaningful games like this one, it's absolutely detrimental. I'd be curious to know if anyone else on the staff has much input. Someone on the staff had to have the brains to realize how idiotic the onside was. Wonder if anything was said or discussed before final decision was made.

Comment

Originally posted by He hate me View Post
                Stig has done great things for the program, and certainly is deserving of some benefit of the doubt. However, that onside kick can be added to a fairly lengthy list of questionable in game decisions over the years. Call me out of line, but his game and time management are piss poor far too often. It can go unnoticed or thrown under the rug in games that are well in hand, but in close meaningful games like this one, it's absolutely detrimental. I'd be curious to know if anyone else on the staff has much input. Someone on the staff had to have the brains to realize how idiotic the onside was. Wonder if anything was said or discussed before final decision was made.
                This is a pretty solid post.

Comment

Originally posted by He hate me View Post
                  The onside kick was a gamble to get the ball back. That is why it is used in close games. Did someone other than Stig have input? I will venture a guess here and say the entire offensive and defensive coaching staff had input. Idiotic, I dont think so? All afternoon there were comments about being plain predictable and doing the same thing over and over. So the SDSU coaching staff gambles and loses, and they are a bunch idiots? Which side of your bread do you butter fans? Our coaches are the only ones we have. So they made some bad decisions now we live with them until next week and then we start our over. I am thankful that everyone has the right of expression.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    The onside kick was a gamble to get the ball back. That is why it is used in close games. Did someone other than Stig have input? I will venture a guess here and say the entire offensive and defensive coaching staff had input. Idiotic, I dont think so? All afternoon there were comments about being plain predictable and doing the same thing over and over. So the SDSU coaching staff gambles and loses, and they are a bunch idiots? Which side of your bread do you butter fans? Our coaches are the only ones we have. So they made some bad decisions now we live with them until next week and then we start our over. I am thankful that everyone has the right of expression.
                    With all due respect the onside kick call was terrible. Our defense had been playing great all day. Vinny just kicked a 57 yarder that pulled us within 5. The team was jacked. There was 6:30 left AND we had two timeouts. That kick cost us a chance to win. It had to deflate the defense. It’s certainly not the sole reason we lost but that call was not good.

Did anyone hear Stigs comments afterward? I’d hope Tyler asked him about it but if he didn’t I’m sure Zimmer did.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Yes, last season he was criticized for lacking a killer instinct. Stig identified Coach Eck as an assistant who called the fake FG ran earlier in the season, so there's a chance he or another assistant had input.

As for Stig making multiple calls characterized as "piss poor," it stands to reason that if we watch all Jacks' games, we're going to notice more of them to develop a skewed perception. All coaches make questionable decisions. Many of Stig's have left me scratching my head over the years, but I'd rather be the Jacks than UNI, and I still think there's a better than average chance Jacks can win out.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        With all due respect the onside kick call was terrible. Our defense had been playing great all day. Vinny just kicked a 57 yarder that pulled us within 5. The team was jacked. There was 6:30 left AND we had two timeouts. That kick cost us a chance to win. It had to deflate the defense. It’s certainly not the sole reason we lost but that call was not good.

Did anyone hear Stigs comments afterward? I’d hope Tyler asked him about it but if he didn’t I’m sure Zimmer did.
                        The video I linked to was one with Tyler, and he asked him specifically about the onside. I also referenced his response, failing to add that Stig said "we play to win" and that if it'd worked out, they'd look like geniuses, and hindsight's 20/20.

The impact on the defense is up for debate, as an alternate perspective is that the gamble tells them that you're willing to be that the defense would be able to stop subsequent drive with less time remaining (and when they'd potentially be protecting Jacks' lead, if Jacks had recovered onside and scored TD)

Comment

But we’ve developed this incredible amount of depth. There’s no way injuries are an excuse. Just read some thread from pre season and the first few games.
                          They've lost multiple OL since then, and they were playing a WR at RB, so depth concern seems valid. Anyone know whether Mulholland's only involvement being late in game was due to potential speed mismatch Campbell offered, Campbell being injured, and/or rushing gains being difficult?

Comment

Message board pundits probably are not the best equipped people to make the decision of what is enough depth. Facts are that the Jacks played minus their two best speed backs, and with an offensive line that had two redshirt freshmen making their second career starts and another making his third. Certainly not the only reasons the Jacks lost, but definitely contributing factors.

Comment

Regarding depth...when you lose players, you lose some depth. The beauty of depth is that when you are in the 3rd and 4th qtrs you still have gas in the team tank...losing a handful of starters or 2nd stringers affects the amount of gas you have available.

I can understand the theory that if the inside worked theyd be geniuses...just a tough spot to call for it. That coaching decision I can somewhat forgive...the need to call a TO for your offense AFTER a freaking media timeout AND kick return? WTH, how do the coaches not have the offense called and ready to go? I can understand it happens once or so...I can think of at least a half a dozen times where this or something similar has happened in the last two seasons.

Comment

Tough game for the offense. Things looked good at the start of the game, not scoring more points in the first quarter when we were moving the ball well really set us back. Our line started to get worked over pretty good in the second half. Hopefully this is a learning experience for them and helps us out in the long run. Really feel if we were healthy up front we would have had better luck blocking them, but credit to UNI, they have a good d-line and they played well.

Defense played well the entire game, kept us in it the entire time. Really no complaints from that side of the ball.

All in all, we didn't play our best by any means and still had a chance in the 4th quarter. Think if we get a rematch with them it would turn out much differently.

Comment

Working...
                                X