Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: Youngstown State Spheniscidae (Hobo Day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Youngstown State Spheniscidae (Hobo Day)

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Call it encouragement if you want. The word that comes to my mind is something like coercion. I wouldn't appreciate a policy like that at all and I don't miss games and my additional two season tickets are always used. Football is entertainment for a lot of us. Adding pressure like that, even though one may think it is subtle pressure, is about the opposite of what I want to think about on weekends. In any event, I don't think we'll see significant changes in the points system.
    I mean you could give bonus points to those who make it all the time. then nobody get's mad.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
      That's why I offered the "freeze" rather than docking points. As mentioned, this isn't even possible given their current point allocation scheme, but if they did add a point element to account for actual game attendance, freezing their total would serve to encourage the purchasers to actually attend (or find someone else to attend)
      Jake I really am at odds with you on this issue. When you depend on contributions as much as our beloved Athletic Department does, you really can not lay any kind of punishment on ticket holders or potential donors. It would be like cutting the violin strings of Izak Pearlman violin and then expecting him to play a classic piece of music. I dont know if this analogy is clear, but any kind of a sanction on a group of fans will not work either, not even our indifferent students. God bless them and their student fees they pay each semester. Perhaps Izak has several violins to back up one damaged violin.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
        I mean you could give bonus points to those who make it all the time. then nobody get's mad.
        My wife says I don't like being told what to do... If there is any compulsion for me (and I think lots of others) to attend games, I'll go back to hunting or simply reading a good book with WNAX in the background. Some fans who are there for every game, will just disappear. Look, this is all speculative message board b.s. I don't think there's any chance the administration would consider any proposal that could dock season-ticket holders.

Comment

There was a day when pie would be served and a thread so far off track, closed.

Comment

AND ANOTHER THING: I get a little discouraged about the talk of Augie going D1 and joining the Summit League. That bothers me more than empty seats in the stadium. Augie in the Summit League would make me less interested. But, there's already a thread on that topic so I'll go away now.

Comment

Call it encouragement if you want. The word that comes to my mind is something like coercion. I wouldn't appreciate a policy like that at all and I don't miss games and my additional two season tickets are always used. Football is entertainment for a lot of us. Adding pressure like that, even though one may think it is subtle pressure, is about the opposite of what I want to think about on weekends. In any event, I don't think we'll see significant changes in the points system.

The best way to increase fan support is to continue on the path we're on: fielding top-notch, competitive football teams.
              By that logic, the students were "coerced" to participate in the Hobo Day drawings. I could understand docking points being coercive, but not receiving points for not attending a game (were they to have a system awarding such points) is hardly coercive by any definition of the word.

Comment

AND ANOTHER THING: I get a little discouraged about the talk of Augie going D1 and joining the Summit League. That bothers me more than empty seats in the stadium. Augie in the Summit League would make me less interested. But, there's already a thread on that topic so I'll go away now.
                I'm genuinely interested in the logic here. Is it that Augie would dilute the league's competitiveness?

The upside to them joining is that it's another opponent within easy driving distance to attend games.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Jake I really am at odds with you on this issue. When you depend on contributions as much as our beloved Athletic Department does, you really can not lay any kind of punishment on ticket holders or potential donors. It would be like cutting the violin strings of Izak Pearlman violin and then expecting him to play a classic piece of music. I dont know if this analogy is clear, but any kind of a sanction on a group of fans will not work either, not even our indifferent students. God bless them and their student fees they pay each semester. Perhaps Izak has several violins to back up one damaged violin.
                  I'm struggling with how not receiving points when one does not participate in the activity points would be rewarded for is punishment. Also, I'm a donor too, albeit not at the level some posters are, but I never said they should not receive credit for the Jackrabbit Club donation.

A more fitting Itzhak Perlman analogy might be that it seems some think they should receive recognition for being in the orchestra just because they brought a violin, but when they get to the concert hall, they sit idle [for the sporting events this would be equivalent to their seat(s) being empty]. Do you think that silent violinist should receive the same recognition as those players who attend every session and play the entire time?

Comment

not everything needs to turn into a debate jfc and please save your then what are we on a message board for? takes
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The student give-aways at Saturday's game are not at all like the initial proposal for docking points that caught my attention. But, i see you agree on that point. I agree that giving points for game attendance as an incentive for attendance is a different matter. However, I think that still has some potential to discourage some very good supporters.

On Augie -- I just don't want to be in the same conference as Augie. I don't claim to have some well-reasoned argument in support of my position. It's just sports.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                        not everything needs to turn into a debate jfc and please save your then what are we on a message board for? takes
                        Not much on TV yet. Waiting for Colbert to start. It's what we have message boards for....

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                          I'm struggling with how not receiving points when one does not participate in the activity points would be rewarded for is punishment. Also, I'm a donor too, albeit not at the level some posters are, but I never said they should not receive credit for the Jackrabbit Club donation.

A more fitting Itzhak Perlman analogy might be that it seems some think they should receive recognition for being in the orchestra just because they brought a violin, but when they get to the concert hall, they sit idle [for the sporting events this would be equivalent to their seat(s) being empty]. Do you think that silent violinist should receive the same recognition as those players who attend every session and play the entire time?
                          The are as many reasons for not attending a game as there are for attending a game. I see your point about attendance rewards, that's a possibility that could happen if you contacted the right people.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            Sorry, I'm curious about the rationale for some of the opinions, and I'm not in regular contact with avid Jacks fans, so I chose to discuss a couple topics here. I wasn't trying to debate as much as correct what seemed to be a mischaracterization of what I was proposing.

Comment

There was a day when pie would be served and a thread so far off track, closed.
                              Anyone for pie?

Comment

🍋 lemon?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X