Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: Youngstown State Spheniscidae (Hobo Day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Youngstown State Spheniscidae (Hobo Day)

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    i had to stay home and be on call to haul some steers out. I live next to a few thousand acres of public land within a half hours drive of SDSU. I’m betting there was about two dozen guys out hunting.
    That's so surprising considering the Brookings area has the best pheasant hunting land in the state. If there wasn't anyone hunting around Brookings, I'm sure there weren't people from around here that went to other areas to hunt pheasants.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
      Mmhmmm... Then once they do that, who decides which home game will be designated as Hobo Day?
      SDSU

Comment

SDSU
        So... Circling back to the reason we went through this exercise... SDSU can definitely schedule Hobo Day while keeping pheasant opener in mind.

Comment

That's so surprising considering the Brookings area has the best pheasant hunting land in the state. If there wasn't anyone hunting around Brookings, I'm sure there weren't people from around here that went to other areas to hunt pheasants.
          Why don’t you hit up the MVFC and give them a list of dates that SDSU needs to host games and maybe see if you can make them make it so we can travel at our own convenience too. Let me know how works out.

Comment

So... Circling back to the reason we went through this exercise... SDSU can definitely schedule Hobo Day while keeping pheasant opener in mind.
            They didn’t schedule it on the opener. I already explained that.

Comment

/endthread

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                If the tickets would decrease by $7/ticket for the $27 & $20 tickets, you would need to expect an overflow crowd to recover the loss revenue. For every 1000 tickets sold at $27, an extra 350 tickets would need to be sold at $20 to break even. For every 1000 tickets sold at $20($20,000), you would need to sell 1538 tickets to garner the same $20,000. This is only addressing the seats that are most price conscious. I am assuming the need to discount the higher priced seats are not in the conversation for tickets are too high. If you guarantee the extra 5,000 tickets are sold, you have the argument for extra concessions. Although the concession stands are nearly maxed out as long as the lines are during halftime, that argument might be weak. At this time, reducing ticket prices may only be for the least expensive seats and only for the SE corner. I would not expect the athletic department to start any huge discounts in order to make the next budget.
                Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                They "lost" revenue for over 4k fans this game because they weren't in the stands, so I'm not sure the calculus is as simple as your examples. Conversely, my argument hinges on there being a relatively direct relationship between ticket prices and sales, which likely oversimplifies it too.

I'm saying that they're likely facing situations where the younger prospective fans facing student loan debt and raising families may not have the discretionary income that retirees and more established families have. Moreover, fans now have access to video streams of the games that can make it cost-prohibitive for them to attend the games.

I think there is ample opportunity for them to incentivize sustained and increased ticket purchases, such as credits for multiple years' consecutive purchases (e.g., free ticket(s) for every three to five years' of season ticket purchases).

They just had incentives for students who get in for free, so it seems counterintuitive that they wouldn't consider adaptations for fans who either pay hundreds of dollars to attend or those whom they hope will do so in the future.
                Couple things here. First off, OldHare is 100% correct. If we were to drop our prices down to anything similar to what the old prices were I’m pretty sure even if every game was a sell out we wouldn’t get the revenue that we are getting with the current number that shows up. It sucks but that’s the math that happens when you have to pay for a new stadium.

As to the incentives for the students vs the rest of us, students are the easiest people to grow the fan base with long term where you give aways will have the biggest impact. I am highly dubious that telling people who are on the fence about season tickets that in three to five years they’ll get a free one will have the same impact that giving a give away to a student will. Plus you’re potentially setting up yourself for years with large drop offs in season ticket revenues after three to five years. And while our ticket prices might be higher per game than some conference mates, but I’m pretty sure you’d be hard pressed to be able to buy season tickets anywhere for $125.

I’m not sure what the answer is. I know I’m doing my damndest to get anyone I know to come to games with me. I’m not always real successful, but I’m making some real headway with a half dozen or so. Guess what’s really helped with that? Tailgating. Weird.
                jeezes h Christ. Are you a psycho? I was merely pointing out it is not the traditional opening that most people in SD recognize. So please explain to me how the MVFC is going to give a chit about pheasant season?
                Well since most people at our games are from SD, maybe the pheasant opener for SD residents isn’t the best day to try to schedule HOBO DAY. And the conference would care because the higher their attendance conference wide the better the conference looks for being able to bid on playoff games and the like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

They didn’t schedule it on the opener. I already explained that.
                  10-6, 10-13, and 11-3 were basically the dates Hobo Days could be. Contact SDSU and find out why they picked that date

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                    Couple things here. First off, OldHare is 100% correct. If we were to drop our prices down to anything similar to what the old prices were I’m pretty sure even if every game was a sell out we wouldn’t get the revenue that we are getting with the current number that shows up. It sucks but that’s the math that happens when you have to pay for a new stadium.

As to the incentives for the students vs the rest of us, students are the easiest people to grow the fan base with long term where you give aways will have the biggest impact. I am highly dubious that telling people who are on the fence about season tickets that in three to five years they’ll get a free one will have the same impact that giving a give away to a student will. Plus you’re potentially setting up yourself for years with large drop offs in season ticket revenues after three to five years. And while our ticket prices might be higher per game than some conference mates, but I’m pretty sure you’d be hard pressed to be able to buy season tickets anywhere for $125.

I’m not sure what the answer is. I know I’m doing my damndest to get anyone I know to come to games with me. I’m not always real successful, but I’m making some real headway with a half dozen or so. Guess what’s really helped with that? Tailgating. Weird.

Well since most people at our games are from SD, maybe the pheasant opener for SD residents isn’t the best day to try to schedule HOBO DAY. And the conference would care because the higher their attendance conference wide the better the conference looks for being able to bid on playoff games and the like.

i don’t know their reasoning. But look at the Summit league. It is the same way. In years past some of the premier matchups were on weeknights.

Comment

i don’t know their reasoning. But look at the Summit league. It is the same way. In years past some of the premier matchups were on weeknights.
                      Ok. But he was talking about SDSU making the pheasant opener Hobo Day when we had a home game the week before. I’m not sure where the conferences decisions play into that?

Comment

/endthread
                        dont forget your ball before you leave.

Comment

Ok. But he was talking about SDSU making the pheasant opener Hobo Day when we had a home game the week before. I’m not sure where the conferences decisions play into that?

it isn’t the tradional pheasant opener! That is this coming weekend!

Comment

Once again, this weekend was for residents only on public ground only. 9 out of 10 people didn’t even know it was going on!

Comment

Ok. But it was the opener for the residents for our own state, yes? Which would logically affect our attendance, yes? Cappin even gave first had examples of people who didn’t come for that exact reason, so why is this hard for you to grasp?

Comment

Ok. But it was the opener for the residents for our own state, yes? Which would logically affect our attendance, yes? Cappin even gave first had examples of people who didn’t come for that exact reason, so why is this hard for you to grasp?

Sure it was. But the effect it had on attendance didn’t amount to chit. Ant weekend you pick will conflict with another state event. Grasp that!

Comment

Working...
                                X