Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: Youngstown State Spheniscidae (Hobo Day)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Youngstown State Spheniscidae (Hobo Day)

If the tickets would decrease by $7/ticket for the $27 & $20 tickets, you would need to expect an overflow crowd to recover the loss revenue. For every 1000 tickets sold at $27, an extra 350 tickets would need to be sold at $20 to break even. For every 1000 tickets sold at $20($20,000), you would need to sell 1538 tickets to garner the same $20,000. This is only addressing the seats that are most price conscious. I am assuming the need to discount the higher priced seats are not in the conversation for tickets are too high. If you guarantee the extra 5,000 tickets are sold, you have the argument for extra concessions. Although the concession stands are nearly maxed out as long as the lines are during halftime, that argument might be weak. At this time, reducing ticket prices may only be for the least expensive seats and only for the SE corner. I would not expect the athletic department to start any huge discounts in order to make the next budget.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Don’t get me started with concessions...I sit in 104, it was faster for my daughter and I to go to the east side to get something. And another thing...it’s like the opposite of Coughlin regarding restrooms now. Long line for men and no wait for women.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
        Don’t get me started with concessions...I sit in 104, it was faster for my daughter and I to go to the east side to get something. And another thing...it’s like the opposite of Coughlin regarding restrooms now. Long line for men and no wait for women.
        I would guess a lot of that can be explained with the tailgating. Husband drinks beer, wife drives home

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          If the tickets would decrease by $7/ticket for the $27 & $20 tickets, you would need to expect an overflow crowd to recover the loss revenue. For every 1000 tickets sold at $27, an extra 350 tickets would need to be sold at $20 to break even. For every 1000 tickets sold at $20($20,000), you would need to sell 1538 tickets to garner the same $20,000. This is only addressing the seats that are most price conscious. I am assuming the need to discount the higher priced seats are not in the conversation for tickets are too high. If you guarantee the extra 5,000 tickets are sold, you have the argument for extra concessions. Although the concession stands are nearly maxed out as long as the lines are during halftime, that argument might be weak. At this time, reducing ticket prices may only be for the least expensive seats and only for the SE corner. I would not expect the athletic department to start any huge discounts in order to make the next budget.
          They "lost" revenue for over 4k fans this game because they weren't in the stands, so I'm not sure the calculus is as simple as your examples. Conversely, my argument hinges on there being a relatively direct relationship between ticket prices and sales, which likely oversimplifies it too.

I'm saying that they're likely facing situations where the younger prospective fans facing student loan debt and raising families may not have the discretionary income that retirees and more established families have. Moreover, fans now have access to video streams of the games that can make it cost-prohibitive for them to attend the games.

I think there is ample opportunity for them to incentivize sustained and increased ticket purchases, such as credits for multiple years' consecutive purchases (e.g., free ticket(s) for every three to five years' of season ticket purchases).

They just had incentives for students who get in for free, so it seems counterintuitive that they wouldn't consider adaptations for fans who either pay hundreds of dollars to attend or those whom they hope will do so in the future.

Comment

...regarding attnedance, whoever did the comparison with a few other MVFC schools hit it on the head. I realize we have a stadium to pay for but tix are too much. They've priced out a lot of families. I look at the families that come with 2-3 young kids, leave mid way through the 3rd because it's cold...tough, especially when they can watch form home at a reasonable monthly fee. Unless something changes I think it's going to continue to be 14k-15k for a lot of games and 10k-12k for ones that don't matter as much. Bad weather and playoff games...well we all know what happens there.

I said this the other day and was told I was wrong basically. I would find it hard to fork out a $125 for a 3 hour or so game that could become a joke by halftime. This maybe doesn't apply to the $125 offer this weekend but it probably does with one or two of the non-con games.

Edit, speaking as if I was a casual fan.

Comment

I must go when no one else does because never had to wait. We just get annoyed with college girls who go use the family restrooms when there aren't many to begin with. Kids need to go need to change a baby diaper those restrooms are great for families. Sorry for the rant there.

We have had issues with consessions running out of something and having to find another one that has it still. Like pretzels seemed to run out the games we go too. Its annoying to go to multiple consession stands because one kid wants. Pizza another a hotdogs but you can't find one that sells both.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                I said this the other day and was told I was wrong basically. I would find it hard to fork out a $125 for a 3 hour or so game that could become a joke by halftime. This maybe doesn't apply to the $125 offer this weekend but it probably does with one or two of the non-con games.

Edit, speaking as if I was a casual fan.
                I think you have a point. Not to mention the fact that they're likely spending at least some additional cash on alcohol, etc. for Hobo Day

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                  They "lost" revenue for over 4k fans this game because they weren't in the stands, so I'm not sure the calculus is as simple as your examples. Conversely, my argument hinges on there being a relatively direct relationship between ticket prices and sales, which likely oversimplifies it too.

I'm saying that they're likely facing situations where the younger prospective fans facing student loan debt and raising families may not have the discretionary income that retirees and more established families have. Moreover, fans now have access to video streams of the games that can make it cost-prohibitive for them to attend the games.

I think there is ample opportunity for them to incentivize sustained and increased ticket purchases, such as credits for multiple years' consecutive purchases (e.g., free ticket(s) for every three to five years' of season ticket purchases).

They just had incentives for students who get in for free, so it seems counterintuitive that they wouldn't consider adaptations for fans who either pay hundreds of dollars to attend or those whom they hope will do so in the future.

How many season tickets per year have been sold since the Dana opened? Is that stat available

Comment

I think you have a point. Not to mention the fact that they're likely spending at least some additional cash on alcohol, etc. for Hobo Day
                    Like you said, consider if they are driving from 100 miles away you have to have fuel and food(more than popcorn). So, $125 could become twice that or more easily. There is a lot to be said for having a campus in a "metro" area.

Edit: maybe not to "be said". But perks that some a-holes to the north don't realize. Don't want anyone jumping my arse!

Comment

• Re: GDT: Youngstown State Spheniscidae (Hobo Day)

Is that stat available
                      Yes.

Comment

How many season tickets per year have been sold since the Dana opened? Is that stat available
                        The most recent report I could find is this, which appears to be from 2010 (it references the Sept. 25 game against the Huskers). Their strategy seems to be to periodically increase the required Jackrabbit Club donation rather than disperse the costs to a broader prospective fan base.

Comment

The most recent report I could find is this, which appears to be from 2010 (it references the Sept. 25 game against the Huskers). Their strategy seems to be to periodically increase the required Jackrabbit Club donation rather than disperse the costs to a broader prospective fan base.
                          Wow, 2,200. Even if that is doubled today that seems low. I can see the idea of leaning on the club people. That's where the money is at.

Comment

Last year we went down to Omaha for the Men's BB game. They sold beer there, I have a feeling if there was beer sales for everyone we could increase attendance, or lower ticket costs to try to increase attendance. I don't know the reason/problems that are behind this? Do other universities sell beer at football games?

Comment

Wow, 2,200. Even if that is doubled today that seems low. I can see the idea of leaning on the club people. That's where the money is at.
                              The risk you run is that you're relying on a limited subpopulation, so if they opt out of purchasing tickets in the future, sustainability is shot.

Comment

Last year we went down to Omaha for the Men's BB game. They sold beer there, I have a feeling if there was beer sales for everyone we could increase attendance, or lower ticket costs to try to increase attendance. I don't know the reason/problems that are behind this? Do other universities sell beer at football games?
                                Anyone else think the reason for increased police presence is to establish LEO familiarity with the venue and explore protocols for eventual alcohol sales?

The Gophers sell alcohol at TCF.

Comment

Working...
                                X