Hobo Week - Youngstown State Penguins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Week - Youngstown State Penguins

An interesting note from the depth chart... (page 5) https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...es_10_9_18.pdf

Eddie Miller is listed above Jack Domandle at center with an OR between Genant and Miller. To me, this means Miller is in. I'm a bit concerned about this as Miller was inconsistent this summer with his snaps.
    Aron Johnson is also listed about Jon Gruetzmacher at right tackle with an OR between Weir and Johnson. This also looks like Johnson is starting. This could be an issue with YSU's really good defensive ends. I would hope that we use Sellers and a tight end to give him a hand.

Great to see Deyon on the depth chart. Noticed that Elijah Wilson is not listed so I imagine he must have aggravated his injury.

Any observations I am overlooking?
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      Then I think what about those family of 5. Ticket packages for families of 4 discriminate against larger families.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
        Somebody mentioned how SDSU never does any advertising, so it's not surprising that we don't get larger crowds. This is so true. How many of you knew that there is a family 4 pack deal available for this game? Yeah, me neither until I was on Twitter and looked at the replies to someone's post and saw this:

https://twitter.com/gojackstix/statu...074425857?s=21
        The promo must work as section 116 is sold out.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
          My observation: Somehow Marshon Harris is still listed as the starting CB opposite Brown. There's no way that Lofton, Mosley, Gardner, or Banks aren't better than Harris. I wish we had some advanced defensive statistics so I could see if he's actually playing as bad as it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
            The promo must work as section 116 is sold out.
            Either that, or more likely they're holding those tickets for people that call in to get the promo, as it's only available over the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              If I remember correctly, many of us (I remember Cappin specifically) were bemoaning our vanilla defensive scheme before the season even started. It's not like this **** is new.
              A vanilla offense or defense is fine if the execution is done flawlessly (think of NDSU's old veer offense). Our problem is that they didn't look prepared or ready to play. When that happens in a basic defense, bad stuff follows.
              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                An interesting note from the depth chart... (page 5) https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sit...es_10_9_18.pdf

I had never paid attention until today how young our defensive linemen are. There are NO seniors in the top 12 spots on the depth chart. We start two juniors, a sophomore and a redshirt freshman. Moreover, there are 5 of the 12 that are freshmen/redshirt freshmen on the list.

If you add in the linebackers, we have 2 seniors on the list of 20 defenders in the front seven. Dalton Cox is the only senior starter in that group. If we get a defensive scheme that is a little more aggressive, we will be very good for a couple more years.

Comment

Jeez, too many chefs in the kitchen. I know it's frustrating to have a bend but don't break style of defense, but that's what the Jackrabbits have done for years.

Everyone, and I mean everyone, wants to hear "attacking style of defense, dictate to the offense". If you don't believe check out EVERY NFL head coach hired in the past dozen years and listen to the introductory press conference.

I'm not making excuses for the performance Saturday, but the week before in Fargo, they were pretty good, right?

Also, although we usually rush 4, they do blitz someone on occasion. I actually think the Blitzes are more effective that way.

But, I will make the disclaimer that I am also not a FB coach. I'm not saying sit back all the time. But I am saying that there are benefits that people are overlooking.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    I'm not making excuses for the performance Saturday, but the week before in Fargo, they were pretty good, right?
                    In Fargo, when tight man coverage was called it worked very well. Guess what didn't work well...? When we called soft coverage hoping to just keep them in front of us and make a tackle. You know what also didn't work well? When we left 3 LBs in the game and tried to cover Darius Shepherd (their best WR) with an LB - this happened multiple times where Backhaus was asked to cover Shepherd and he got burnt. Our defense played well that game, but NDSU's play calling (primarily run based) definitely helped.

The point is... if opposing coaches are smart enough and have the personnel to do it, they can torch defenses that are stubborn and call the same soft coverage and leave 3 LBs in the game over and over again. Thankfully most of the teams we play don't have both of those things that would enable them to do that. There's a reason why our defense plays better when opposing teams get in the red zone... because there's not as much room to operate down there. Our defensive play calling works better when teams can't spread you out and LBs aren't caught in the middle of nowhere trying to cover WRs in a zone. When a team is in the other 75 yards of the field... maybe, just maybe... we should call the defense different.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Then I think what about those family of 5. Ticket packages for families of 4 discriminate against larger families.
                      I am quite certain if you called in and said "I have 5 (or more) in my family, can you help me out" the ticket dept. would work something out.

Comment

I fully realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but another point I haven't made yet is that we have one of, if not the best CB in all of FCS football in Jordan Brown, and we are wasting his talent by not letting him be on an island covering the other team's best WR and using that advantage to double other receivers.

Comment

I fully realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but another point I haven't made yet is that we have one of, if not the best CB in all of FCS football in Jordan Brown, and we are wasting his talent by not letting him be on an island covering the other team's best WR and using that advantage to double other receivers.
                          👆
                          "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Question for people. I mostly sit on the east side, but might be getting tickets on the west side for this game. How are the tickets in the upper area on the west side? Anyone that has sat there, did you like it more or less than the lower level on the west side?

Edit: maybe should have put this in one of the ticket threads. Oh well.
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Seems like Cox/Backhaus/Wilson/Kleinschmidt split time as the other 2 LBs beside Rozeboom. I have no stats to support that, just a feeling from observing (I don't think SDSU stats keep track of how many plays they're in for, it would be interesting). Hopefully between all the LB and DB shuffling, they're just trying to figure out who they want in there for the majority of time, but I think it can definitely hurt a defense if you have so much shuffling and aren't familiar with each other. We are definitely deeper than normal, so I get the rotation thing, but it seems like we need to figure out how to manage it without it being detrimental do the defense.
                              Here it is the unofficial snap counts for the back 7.
                              LB's
                              Rozy - 66
                              Backhuis - 53
                              Cox - 46
                              Wilson - 17
                              Kleinschmit - 26

Safeties
                              Snyder - 32
                              Manchigiah - 44
                              Slade - 49
                              Williams 10
                              DeMartra 2

Corners
                              Brown 70
                              Harris 54
                              Lofton 20

Plays per tackle -
                              LB's
                              Rozy - 21.3
                              Backhuis - 10.2
                              Cox - 4.3
                              Wilson - 3.4
                              Kleinschmit - 4.8

Safeties
                              Snyder - 4.6
                              Manchigiah - 44.0 but had 2 break ups
                              Slade - 9.8
                              Williams 0.0
                              DeMartra 0.0

Corners
                              Brown 23.6
                              Harris 4.5 had 1 pass break up
                              Lofton 4.8

TARGETS - Very Unofficial
                              Brown 4
                              Harris 4
                              Cox 4
                              Backhuis 3
                              Demartra 1
                              Snyder 1
                              Wilson 1
                              Slade 1
                              Lofton 3
                              Machigiah 3
                              Rozy 2
                              Williams 1

Obvious missed tackles -Very Unofficial
                              Rozy 2
                              Machigiah 2
                              Cox 1
                              Wilson 1
                              Backhuis 1

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                                Question for people. I mostly sit on the east side, but might be getting tickets on the west side for this game. How are the tickets in the upper area on the west side? Anyone that has sat there, did you like it more or less than the lower level on the west side?

Edit: maybe should have put this in one of the ticket threads. Oh well.
                                I am in 202, Row 22 (first row in that section, adjacent to the club seats) and I love it. I have gone lower and I don't like it as much, probably just because I like the view I'm used to seeing and I like the way I can see the play develop from a higher angle.

Comment

Working...
                                X