Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Week - Youngstown State Penguins

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    If you ask me, I would rather see more of Backhaus. I think Backhaus is much better in pass coverage and just as good in the run game.
    IMO, I think that the issue isn't the personnel, but more the scheme. I think that we have one of the most talented LB groups in the conference, if not FCS, but we don't seen to be overly aggressive with them. It seems like the staff is okay with just using the front 4 to get pressure, but when they don't it allows the offense to sit and wait for guys to get open.

Of course I could be way off and the stats could actually show that we bring pressure with the LBs more than I think.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      IMO, I think that the issue isn't the personnel, but more the scheme. I think that we have one of the most talented LB groups in the conference, if not FCS, but we don't seen to be overly aggressive with them. It seems like the staff is okay with just using the front 4 to get pressure, but when they don't it allows the offense to sit and wait for guys to get open.

Of course I could be way off and the stats could actually show that we bring pressure with the LBs more than I think.
      I agree, I fully admit I am not a defensive coordinator, just average fan. But when we show the basically the same looks all the time up front and never bring up some heat to me it sure makes it easier to scheme against us. As has been said over and over, giving up 3rd and longs year after year isn't a player problem, its a coaching issue. JMO

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post

I completely agree, that post was just in reference to Cox vs Backhaus.

Comment

Our D scheme isn't doing us any favors. I don't know if it's Stig or Brown, or both, but that rigidity in play calling has not helped our D, imo. We flat out aren't talented enough to constantly sit back in the same scheme, and never bring something different. Not many teams are. That doesn't mean we need to become a D that gambles all the time, but there's a middle ground to be found somewhere here. As I stated back in August, if we had a top 3 MVFC D year in and year out, I wouldn't care. But the results to date really don't justify sticking with the same scheme that's given us mediocre performance on that side of the ball for the better part of a decade. The season is still young, so I'll wait and see how the 2018 D finishes. But the talent on that side of the ball, especially at LB, is undeniable. All off season, the talk was about how fast our D is and that they should be lock-down this season. If those positives don't translate to better results, then there has to be about coaching scheme issue. They had one bad game, and have shown glimpses of reoccurring issues (3rd and long). Let's see if there's actual noticeable improvement by seasons end. Based on the players on the field, there should be.

Comment

If I remember correctly, many of us (I remember Cappin specifically) were bemoaning our vanilla defensive scheme before the season even started. It's not like this **** is new.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
              If I remember correctly, many of us (I remember Cappin specifically) were bemoaning our vanilla defensive scheme before the season even started. It's not like this **** is new.
              For sure. Doesn't mean I'm not going to keep complaining about it when it almost cost us a loss when we were 35 point favorites.

Comment

For sure. Doesn't mean I'm not going to keep complaining about it when it almost cost us a loss when we were 35 point favorites.
                Exactly, if now we could only send our immaculate observations into the future!

Comment

SDSU defensive coaches must be taking notes from Oklahoma's Mike Stoops who just got fired for poor defensive play calling. The drive outlined in this article is exactly the frustrating part about the way SDSU calls its defense. Funny that it was posted today.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...a-fired-baylor
                  To be honest, Stoops’ time past due especially after the way OU performed in the playoffs against Clemson and Georgia recently. But he was also let go because he couldn’t connect with the recruit the way some of Riley’s younger staff members could and wasn’t willing to change.

Comment

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                    Exactly, if now we could only send our immaculate observations into the future!
                    I thought for sure by now Stig would have called and hired me to be a play calling advisor. Still waiting, Stig.

Comment

Somebody mentioned how SDSU never does any advertising, so it's not surprising that we don't get larger crowds. This is so true. How many of you knew that there is a family 4 pack deal available for this game? Yeah, me neither until I was on Twitter and looked at the replies to someone's post and saw this:

https://twitter.com/gojackstix/statu...074425857?s=21

Basketball does a great job of advertising stuff like this, and it works. I've bought many tickets due to deals like this for basketball games when maybe I wouldn't have otherwise. Am I just not seeing this type of stuff advertised for football, or is it really not being advertised at all?

Comment

Can we please obliterate Youngstown on hobo day, it would be great thank you

Comment

Somebody mentioned how SDSU never does any advertising, so it's not surprising that we don't get larger crowds. This is so true. How many of you knew that there is a family 4 pack deal available for this game? Yeah, me neither until I was on Twitter and looked at the replies to someone's post and saw this:

https://twitter.com/gojackstix/statu...074425857?s=21

Basketball does a great job of advertising stuff like this, and it works. I've bought many tickets due to deals like this for basketball games when maybe I wouldn't have otherwise. Am I just not seeing this type of stuff advertised for football, or is it really not being advertised at all?
                          The only problem with that deal, besides nobody knowing about it, is it is still $125. That's a pretty good chunk of change for a afternoon or evening out with the kids.

Comment

The only problem with that deal, besides nobody knowing about it, is it is still $125. That's a pretty good chunk of change for a afternoon or evening out with the kids.
                            If you consider you would have got popcorn/soda for each person anyway, that's like $28, so you're getting in the door for $24.50 per person compared to $37 per person, saving $46 total. It's expensive taking a family of 4 to any sporting event, that's the reality of it. If you really want to take a family to the Hobo Day game, at least there's a decent option instead of the inflated/premium prices.

Comment

Then I think what about those family of 5. Ticket packages for families of 4 discriminate against larger families.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

A cheap breakfast used run about five bucks, but try leave Perkins with with bill less than $12.00 for a full meal. You often don’t. With increasing food prices the farmer is hardly winning, but that takes us down the forbidden political trail. We all have to go long to get along.

Comment

Working...
                                X