Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hobo Week - Youngstown State Penguins

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    Y'all are arguing with a dude whose first post on this board said that TJ doesn't have an offensive system that works. That team went on to score *checks notes* the 6th most points per game in all of D1. Don't expect things to make sense.
    What gets me though, is that's the second time in a weak I've heard someone bash TC like that. Unless... Was that the guy sitting behind me in 202?!

Comment

The continual lack of support for TC by some is baffling.

I have people I know, who thought Lujan should be the starter back 2 years ago, and because of that, they have like "dug in their heels" on TC.

Nothing at all against Zach Lujan, who is great, and I loved him. And he's obviously doing a great job coaching the RB crew this year.

But the inability of people to admit that TC is good is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
        The continual lack of support for TC by some is baffling.

I have people I know, who thought Lujan should be the starter back 2 years ago, and because of that, they have like "dug in their heels" on TC.

Nothing at all against Zach Lujan, who is great, and I loved him. And he's obviously doing a great job coaching the RB crew this year.

But the inability of people to admit that TC is good is insane.

I'm just getting caught up with this thread. We need a football game. Someone's had sour milk on his cereal all week/season/since joining this board/life?

da coach: Good post...may I suggest an amendment. First line could be revised by substituting "one" in place of "some".

Everyone remember the wry saying: the most popular guy on a football team is the backup quarterback?

I liked CappinHard's "overwhelming minority". I'm going to use that.

Rabbitobsessed--good recall of history and "someone's" odd dislike of TJ. I remember that. Well, we're all thankful TJ doesn't pay any attention to this message board.

98farmer: was "kook aid" spelling intentional? Spell it kool aid and then try some! A little yellow and blue kool aid is good for you.

This year's version of the Jacks is a real good team, sports fans. Can they play up to potential the remainder of the season? For many of us, the closer we get to the top, the harder it is to deal with a miscue along the way.

Can't wait for Saturday. Some Hobo Day games in recent years have been real let-downs (how's that for understatement?). YSU has size and talent along with a big ration of troubles this season. They'll be ready to ruin another Hobo Day. I have to believe our team is ready to return to playing to its potential. Should be a good outdoor football game. The temperature predictions are improving...looks like a sunny afternoon with temps close to the mid-50s and a tolerable breeze. I was on line picking up some extra tickets and as I was studying available seats, some disappeared in the minutes I was looking and, compared to two days ago, quite a few have been purchased. I'm optimistic the walkup crowd will be strong...can we hit 17,000+?
        Last edited by JackJD; 10-11-2018, 11:35 PM.

Comment

The only negative thing I recall saying about TC was when rumor about him starting QB as a true freshman I pose question: Has he been on campus long enough to find the student union? I don’t recall the opponent, but it was a very impressive performance. With exception of JMU game which he may have played injured, he has had an exceptional career. It’s hard to believe it ends this year. Let’s hope his performance results in a win over Bo.

Comment

Wow. What a thread this has turned into.

Arguing over whether TC is the best QB ever at SDSU is like trying to piss up a rope. Neither side will budge and there is really no way to compare TC to Ryan Berry or Austin Sumner. TC's numbers are better sure, but the offense we run now compared to then is way different. Also, TC has the had the best receivers in the history of SDSU to throw to. Does that inflate his numbers or is TC the reason Weineke and Goedert's numbers are so good? While we are discussing that, let's also discuss what came first, the chicken or the egg.

There is little doubt this team is better because of TC, but he also has flaws that I think should be fair game. Someone pointed out the throw he missed in OT to the wide open receiver streaking towards the end zone. He missed that throw because he hurried and didn't set his feet. He thought he had less time then he did. If there is one criticism of TC that's it, IMO. Sometimes his footwork is suspect and that causes some missed throws. To be fair, I think he's improved a ton on that aspect since his freshman year.

Also, someone mentioned he played the JMU game with a broken hand/wrist. Is that proven fact? There's been speculation he had some sort of injury, but really that type of injury? How the hell do the coaches let him play with that? And if they let him give it a shot why does it take 10 turnovers before they pull him?
            Last edited by MontanaRabbit; 10-12-2018, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

Also, someone mentioned he played the JMU game with a broken hand/wrist. Is that proven fact? There's been speculation he had some sort of injury, but really that type of injury? How the hell do the coaches let him play with that? And if they let him give it a shot why does it take 10 turnovers before they pull him?
              I think the Taryn wrist injury is going to go down like the Ryan Berry concussion at NDSU. Only the guys in the huddle/on the team know what was actually going on. You have to catch them in the right mood/time to get them to tell the truth. When I've asked the coaches directly about Taryn's inury they offer no comment besides saying that at that point in the season everyone was banged up.

In terms of Taryn vs. other SDSU QB's... I think we all just need to appreciate who he is and what he has done for the program. These have been a fun four years and hopefully he has elevated the program enough that we will be debating where J'Bore or Matt Connors rank as all-time greats at SDSU in four years.
              Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Bringing my girls to the game tomorrow. I hate to say it, but this is their first Jackrabbit football game. One is 26 years old and we're bringing her fiancée, the other is 20 and is studying nursing in Nebraska. My wife and I are a little sad that none of our older three were Jackrabbits. Still hope for the youngest!

What's everybody serving at the tailgate tomorrow?

(Hope this segue away from Taryn's shortcomings gets us in the mood for the next big game on the way to the postseason.)

Comment

Funny how some people want professional type abilities in college football players.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post

What's everybody serving at the tailgate tomorrow?
                    We are having chili and all the stuff that goes with it. Typically we do chislic but are moving away from it this year.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

• Re: Hobo Week - Youngstown State Penguins

Originally posted by Bits View Post
                      Unbelievable! Here is a snippet of what I wrote on Monday in my weekly MVFC summary email to a group of SDSU football fans..."TC is a stud. There was one specific play I remember where they blitzed, we did not even lay a finger on the blitzer, so TC has a free runner in his face before he even hits the last step of his drop. TC throws the ball before his receiver is even looking for it, places it where only his receiver can catch it and completes it. It only went for about a 10-15 yard gain, but he turned a 5-7 yard loss into a first down. We will go as far as his shoulders can carry us."

I looked at one of the guys that I sit by, who knows football fairly well and is on that email group, and we both just said nobody in this stadium appreciates that play for how great it was. He's arguably the best QB in FCS and by all objective measurements the most accomplished QB in school history. Yet, somehow, he's still underappreciated.
                      Completely agree; the best State has ever had.

Yes, he misses an occasional throw, but even the pros do that. He's a hell of a player, and we should be thankful we've gotten to watch him for the last four seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Wow.

There is little doubt this team is better because of TC, but he also has flaws that I think should be fair game. Someone pointed out the throw he missed in OT to the wide open receiver streaking towards the end zone. He missed that throw because he hurried and didn't set his feet. He thought he had less time then he did. If there is one criticism of TC that's it, IMO. Sometimes his footwork is suspect and that causes some missed throws. To be fair, I think he's improved a ton on that aspect since his freshman year.
                        My biggest issue isn’t about whether he’s our best ever. It isn’t that he hasn’t made bad throws. My issue is when people bring up one overthrown ball when he threw 5 tds and ran an offense that put up 50+ points. Nobody on the offense was our issue last game period.

Last year, absolutely he started to get off on the deep post throws he used to. There are things to pick on about his game, sure. But he’s the first qbs we’ve had with multiple wins against ndsu since Berry, except it’s during them having the greatest run in FCS history. Carson freaking Wentz had some bad games in college. To pick TC as the guy to constantly throw little pissy comments at just blows my mind.

I get ragging in the guy if we put up 14-21 points. After we put up 50+ you just have an ax to grind against a guy whose been an absolute stud for us, and by all accounts is a great person.

As to people wondering about our lack of deep throws so far and attributing that to TC, good grief. We went from having two phenomenal receivers who were built to hit on the deep passes. Now we have fast and small receivers who are better built for short routes, getting the ball in their hands, and using their speed to make plays. They aren’t 6’4 where you can throw it up and have them out jump the guy for a deep pass. Our guys now need to be open by more on a deep pass to make that throw work IMO. Our coaches are great on offense at adjusting the offense to take advantage of our strengths, anybody who expected the offense to look the same coming into this year wasn’t paying attention. That and half our games we didn’t open the playbook up because we thrashed them so bad, so there wouldn’t be many bombs there.

I dunno, I don’t get it.
                        Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                        Funny how some people want professional type abilities in college football players.
                        That and even Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees overthrow deep routes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          We have the 2nd highest scoring offense in the FCS and TC is the most efficient passer in the league. That tells me a lot of things, but for sure the offensive line is playing pretty well and I could care less if TC isn't taking deep shots and is opting for more mid level higher percentage passes.
                          I've only read a few comments about my post and I did not say that TC is terrible. I was just curious about his deep passing %. I've heard people talk about the O-line not giving him time and receivers being injured so I was wondering how that effects his deep throwing %.
                          It might not have been clear about me wondering that.

Comment

Based on this thread, I am going to say the bar has officially been raised for Jackrabbit football. In the past there was a lot of talk about taking things to the next level. What has to be done, where is the attitude going to come from, will the fans ever expect more than a 5 win season, how long will it take, can Stig lead us there, etc. With all of the griping this week after a win, I think we are there. We are expecting more than we have in the past, the team is achieving more than in the past, and when achievement and expectations gel, great things happen. Round up your friends and get them to the remaining games. This is a fun team to watch.
                            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Cue up the post ""Geez, can't a guy have an opinion?" that usually shows up when one opinion gets push back with other opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                                Based on this thread, I am going to say the bar has officially been raised for Jackrabbit football. In the past there was a lot of talk about taking things to the next level. What has to be done, where is the attitude going to come from, will the fans ever expect more than a 5 win season, how long will it take, can Stig lead us there, etc. With all of the griping this week after a win, I think we are there. We are expecting more than we have in the past, the team is achieving more than in the past, and when achievement and expectations gel, great things happen. Round up your friends and get them to the remaining games. This is a fun team to watch.
                                That last part is the biggest IMO. We need to get a crowd that a top 5 team deserves. I’m nervous about what the turnout will look like even with it being Hobo Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Working...
                                X