Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: Indiana State Firewood

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
    It's been 12 hours, and a good night's sleep and this W doesn't feel any better.

The team, coaches, and fans(looks in mirror) all seemed to be just going through the motions and it showed.

I will give props to our OL, RB's, AA and Kal...they all played their asses off. TC wanted nothing to do with running the ball today, so thankfully we kept trying to run him, I'm not even going to touch that QB Power call at the end. I would also like to see Cade fight for balls more, he hasn't really been fighting for those 50/50 type balls (see that ball in the EZ last week against the Bison as well). Thankfully our O is so talented that they can still put up 54 nonchalantly like they did last night.

I can't really comprehend what we were trying to accomplish on defense, our Corner's were playing 10-12 yards of the LOS and still dropping back, the Safeties were non-existent again. It seemed like the LB's were always way off the LOS as well. It's like we were dropping 7 back in deep zone the entire game or something. Besides not making plays, they coaches weren't even putting them into spots to make the plays. IDK if the coaches never figured out it wasn't working our just figured we would get lucky at get some turnovers, sad either way.

Thank good we didn't put on this performance last week, that would've been a bloodbath for the ages. Hopefully this was the stinker game that we put on each year and we just happened to win it this time? Hopefully this will be a wake up call to the boys in blue moving forwards into Valley play.
    Do you think the DB alignment is due to what's seen as a lack of speed at CB? Regarding safeties, I wondered why they didn't drop at least one back earlier in the game but thought maybe it was to hopefully neutralize their QB mobility.

I'd add Coach Eck, Hale, and Vinatieri to the list of folks who called/played a good game. Without that fake FG score, things would've been different. I mentioned Eck because Stig noted that special teams and that play call were Eck's responsibility.

Comment

I honestly think a lot of this goes on the defensive coaches. Our scheme didn't look like it existed and I'm guessing that some of the defensive coaches thought our guys needed extra work after the loss at NDSU and spent a lot of extra time running our players around worrying too much about effort and not coaching on technique and scheme. Our defense as a whole looked tremendously slow and tired, especially at linebacker and we know we do have some really good players on defense.

I don't want to start on the officiating, but this validates the old belief that it isn't "what you know", it is "who you know". I don't think that crew could have effectively called a junior high game last night. I think this was the first time in my life I've ever been to a game when I remember only one penalty for an offensive lineman holding.

Comment

I just don't really get it with our D. It was just such a poor performance, all the way around.

It was just one game, and maybe it was just a bad day, and we'll see them return to form. But I'D say that if our D is yet again below average by season's end, we need a change in D Coordinator. All the talk this off season was how our D should be a strength, and should be the best we've fielded in several years. That still may be the case, so I'll reserve judgement until after the season. But it looks like more of same from that side of the ball. It's just inexcusable to constantly have a such an unreliable D in a conference that's built around running the ball and playing strong D.

Let's see if they can bounce back against a cornered Penguin team next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
          Everyone has thoughts and comments on the game but “JacksBacker” post hit the nail on the head. Stig needs to coach and stop with the excuses and sugar coating of the team. He is supposedly a defensive HC yet year after year the defense is very average and the offensive must out score the opponents to win the game then Stig blames the offense for not running out the clock. Change your damn defensive scheme, players or coaches if you get the same results and be the HC.
          Not sure if you watched Stig's postgame presser, but at about the 44sec mark, he mentions the defense was "average, average at best," highlighting tackling and deep pass defense as poor. At about 25secs he admits that Jacks need to play better defense if they want to accomplish any goals moving forward. I don't think he was making excuses necessarily, although he is probably much more optimistic than some of the posters on here that this performance was an anomaly.

Regarding the offense, someone, I believe it might have been Matt Zimmer, mentioned that the offense sensed pressure was on them, continued to perform, and won the game. I think Stig's response, which he prefaced by admitting that the offense won the game, probably focused on the "continued to perform" portion of the statement when he noted the inability to convert late in the game to "ice it."

Here's to hoping the defense plays more like it did when it made the late goal line stops. Those were awesome to get loud for and celebrate live.

Comment

The back 7 of this defense is abysmal right now. Last week they couldn't make the stop when we needed it and this week they couldn't really do anything. Had the front 4 not performed last night the Jacks could have lost by double figures. The DL made a couple stands that saved us.

Offensively we need to figure it out.That is really a weird thing to say after hanging 50 on someone, but I just never got the feeling that they were comfortable. They seemed to get tight as the game got closer, much like last week.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

One other thing, how can you be playing punt safe and still get burned as bad as we did on the fake right up the middle? Woof.

Comment

One other thing, how can you be playing punt safe and still get burned as bad as we did on the fake right up the middle? Woof.
                Jacks only had 10 men on field due to a player getting poked in the eye. Stig mentions that in presser too (around 1:54 mark).

Comment

To me it didn't look like they were playing a safe punt return. Everyone on the line fired up field like they were going for the block, which is asinine at that point in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                    I believe the Jacks could've been flagged for playing the music late [Section 2(b)(5) (pg. FR-95)]. Hoping that's rectified moving forward.
                    You really think the brain trust they had in stripes out there had the collective brain power to make that call? I’ve never seen a crew get review that many times and overturned at the rate they were.

I personally want someone to answer what the actual h*ck is going on with our secondary?!??!?!!? I was under the impression they were supposed to be a strength? WTH? And I hate to pick on the guy, but Snyder seems to be getting gashed regularly in the pass game. Is he not fully on the right page with our defense? If the secondary gets their **** straight we would be pretty decent on defense I think........maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

• Re: GDT: Indiana State Firewood

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      You really think the brain trust they had in stripes out there had the collective brain power to make that call? I’ve never seen a crew get review that many times and overturned at the rate they were.

I personally want someone to answer what the actual h*ck is going on with our secondary?!??!?!!? I was under the impression they were supposed to be a strength? WTH? And I hate to pick on the guy, but Snyder seems to be getting gashed regularly in the pass game. Is he not fully on the right page with our defense? If the secondary gets their **** straight we would be pretty decent on defense I think........maybe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I'd be more worried about the opposing coach lobbying for a call, and if he had, I think he would've had a valid case. I'd expect Pelini to do so this week.

Regarding Snyder, on the Sycamores' last deep pass, it almost looked like his knee might've been tweaked when he made a cut in pursuit. Maybe his knee isn't fully recovered from surgery, and pass coverage will be a liability.

Comment

I'd be more worried about the opposing coach lobbying for a call, and if he had, I think he would've had a valid case. I'd expect Pelini to do so this week.

Regarding Snyder, on the Sycamores' last deep pass, it almost looked like his knee might've been tweaked when he made a cut in pursuit. Maybe his knee isn't fully recovered from surgery, and pass coverage will be a liability.
                        Snyder recovered the on-side kick. That is worth something.

Comment

Looked too me like #27 was going for the interception. Not the the ball

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Not in pass coverage. I guess I had high hopes for him and I’m not ready to write him off, but he has not impressed thus far.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Snyder recovered the on-side kick. That is worth something.
                              I don't think he's a liability now. I meant if his injury history is impacting pass coverage. I have been impressed with his stops in run defense multiple times.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                                To me it didn't look like they were playing a safe punt return. Everyone on the line fired up field like they were going for the block, which is asinine at that point in the game.
                                What's worse, the coaching staff being caught off guard by a fake punt at that point in the game, or the coaching staff not calling a timeout for not having enough players on the field for that play?

Comment

Working...
                                X