MVFC 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MVFC 2018 Season

Going into year 4 for Bob Nielson, if he has a repeat performance, will his seat be getting a little hot? If he coaches there 4 seasons and 3 of those seasons are sub .500, you have to think they'd be ready to start looking elsewhere by the end of season 5. 5 years is plenty of time to get "your guys" into the system and to an upper class level. Right now, he's got plenty of guys that are juniors that he recruited. The only Glenn recruits still on the team are guys that only had a season with Joe to begin with.

All of the same could be said about Nick Hill @ SIU. How long does a coach get to turn a program around when they've been in the dumps for a decade? 3 years is a little short, but going beyond 5 can do more damage too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      Going into year 4 for Bob Nielson, if he has a repeat performance, will his seat be getting a little hot? If he coaches there 4 seasons and 3 of those seasons are sub .500, you have to think they'd be ready to start looking elsewhere by the end of season 5. 5 years is plenty of time to get "your guys" into the system and to an upper class level. Right now, he's got plenty of guys that are juniors that he recruited. The only Glenn recruits still on the team are guys that only had a season with Joe to begin with.

All of the same could be said about Nick Hill @ SIU. How long does a coach get to turn a program around when they've been in the dumps for a decade? 3 years is a little short, but going beyond 5 can do more damage too.
      It'll be interesting to see, although I wonder if recently hiring MBB and WBB coaches might be a factor in their willingness to pay to make another new hire.

Comment

I can't remember a season with so many teams jumbled in the middle this late in the season. Teams from second to ninth are separated by one game. While parity is nice, this could have an impact on postseason bids if we don't get some separation from the top four or five teams from the rest of the league. I fully expect things to sort themselves out by the time postseason slots are awarded in three weeks.

Teams in: NDSU (While you could argue that SDSU is in, we still need to win two of the last three to lock up a spot. The focus for the team still needs to be 1-0 each week until the season is done.)

Likely: SDSU and the winner of this weekend's matchup between Illinois State at UNI. SDSU will be solid favorites in their remaining schedule. The Redbirds and Panthers will also be favored in their remaining games after this weekend.

Bubble, but control their destiny: Illinois State can still have a shot by losing at UNI this weekend and winning their remaining two games. The loss to Missouri State the week after beating Colorado State will be in the committee's heads when sorting out this team. UNI really needs to win out to make a case for their inclusion. Finishing at 6-5 will be a tough argument for making the postseason. Their best win is over SDSU, but losses to Montana and Western Illinois could be on Farley's mind come Thanksgiving day. Western Illinois is likely in should they not choke in any of their remaining games - @SIU, @USD, and ISU blue. Their resume since September 15th is impressive, wins over Montana, YSU, MSU, and UNI. They could end the regular season going 7-2 with losses to ISU red and NDSU.

Bubble and need help: Indiana State and Missouri State could both end the season at 7-4, but don't bet on it. Indiana State hosts USD and Illinois State the next two weekends before traveling to Macomb to end the season. Missouri State travels to Brookings, hosts NDSU and finishes the season at UNI.

Better luck next year: USD and YSU are both teams heading in the wrong direction. They will be looking for signature wins to build on next year's squads, but even should they close out with wins, its doubtful their 6-5 records will get them in. USD has ISU blue, Western Ill. and SDSU on their schedule. The Fighting Pelini's will take their lumps with NDSU, UNI and Illinois State. Look for Bo to become a defensive coordinator at a power five school next year. His Husker contract buyout ends this February. Could you imagine paying Scott Frost his hefty contract, in addition to monthly payments of $128k and $170k to your previous two head coaches while suffering through this season? Finally, Southern Illinois will be searching for a way out of the MVFC cellar and possibly for a new head coach.

Comment

If ISUR loses again, they'll be 6-4 vs DI, and have a tough shot at making the field. Also, WIU can win out and likely be in at 7-4. Remaining games against USD, ISUb, and SIU. All very winnable games. Their best win would probably be over a bubble Montana team, bubble UNI, or bubble ISUb. Not great, but they'd have no bad losses. Right now, I'd say it's SDSU, NDSU, UNI/ISUR (whoever wins out), and possibly WIU. ISUB, if they win out, will be 6-4 against DI, just like ISUR (if they lose another game). There's still even a fairly decent chance that only SDSU and NDSU get in. UNI beats ISUR, but loses against MSU. WIU beats ISUb, but drops the USD game. At that point, we'd have two teams above 7 DI wins. Now, under that scenario, I don't think the 6-4 vs DI teams would get left out, because the bubble isn't SO strong as to start eliminating them, but it is possible. This feels a little like the 2013 season where 5 teams ended up in a tie for second, but only SDSU made the field with the Bison. I think the Valley is a 3 bid league this year, and that third bid might be WIU, not UNI/ISUr.

Comment

ISUr looked much more potent with Kolbes mobility in there after their starter went out. Now some of that had to do with the prevent defense and the lack of game plan for him, but I won’t be shocked if they win out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

In what will be forever known as the Bo Pelini Special, Youngstown State had 4th and goal on the Bison four yard line and their QB spiked the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                In what will be forever known as the Bo Pelini Special, Youngstown State had 4th and goal on the Bison four yard line and their QB spiked the ball.
                His reaction has to have been priceless.

Comment

Wow.

It’s worth tuning in to that game now. Tied 7-7 as the 3rd is ending.

Comment

Didn't TOB try that at poly one year? He slid a yard or two from the goal line. If he lowered his shoulder he might have gotten in but he tried to line up to spike it but it was 4th down and I think we ran out of time anyway. At least I remember it somewhat like that.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Didn't TOB try that at poly one year? He slid a yard or two from the goal line. If he lowered his shoulder he might have gotten in but he tried to line up to spike it but it was 4th down and I think we ran out of time anyway. At least I remember it somewhat like that.
                      I'm remembering something like this happening and yes, time did run out. I'd be okay without ever mentioning TOB again on this board ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                        I'm remembering something like this happening and yes, time did run out. I'd be okay without ever mentioning TOB again on this board ;-)
                        Yep, I had to reset the "Days since last TOB reference" meter. It was a solid run of 781 days.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          Yep, I had to reset the "Days since last TOB reference" meter. It was a solid run of 781 days.
                          It's part of our history just like mertens at ndsu.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            It's part of our history just like mertens at ndsu.
                            Yes but Mertens was not a free thinker like TOB.

Comment

Not much excitement this week. One key game and the others should pan out based on Vegas lines.

Illinois State travels to Indiana State. You can officially put a fork in the loser of this game for postseason play. The winner could finish the season at 7-4 and argue that it's resume in the MVFC, and in ISU red's case, a 35-17 victory over FBS Colorado State, deserve to play Thanksgiving weekend.

Everything else should go as expected. However, this is the MVFC and there are so many quality players even on teams who may be looking for new coaches in the future. Moreover, all the favored teams will have to win on the road this week. (The Western Illinois at USD is my pick for a potential upset.)

SDSU at SIU
                              UNI at YSU
                              Western at USD
                              NDSU at Missouri State

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
                                Not much excitement this week. One key game and the others should pan out based on Vegas lines.

Illinois State travels to Indiana State. You can officially put a fork in the loser of this game for postseason play. The winner could finish the season at 7-4 and argue that it's resume in the MVFC, and in ISU red's case, a 35-17 victory over FBS Colorado State, deserve to play Thanksgiving weekend.

Everything else should go as expected. However, this is the MVFC and there are so many quality players even on teams who may be looking for new coaches in the future. Moreover, all the favored teams will have to win on the road this week. (The Western Illinois at USD is my pick for a potential upset.)

SDSU at SIU
                                UNI at YSU
                                Western at USD
                                NDSU at Missouri State
                                Indiaba St has a non-counter win since it was a D2 school so their DI record would be 6-4 which may well keep them out.

Comment

Working...
                                X