MVFC 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MVFC 2018 Season

No unexpected outcomes from this last weekend and the standings are pretty full of teams with postseason dreams. The next two weeks could sort out the pretenders from those with championship dreams. I'm a dreamer.

NDSU (3-0) hosts ISU red and travels to Vermillion.
    Illinois State (2-1) travels to Fargo and hosts SDSU.
    SDSU (2-1) travels to UNI and ISU red.
    Missouri State (2-1) hosts Western and Southern Illinois.
    UNI (2-1) hosts SDSU and travels to Western.
    USD (2-1) travels to Youngstown and hosts NDSU.
    Western Ill (1-2) travels to Missouri State and hosts UNI.
    YSU (1-2) hosts USD and ISU blue.
    ISU blue (0-3) travels to SIU and YSU.
    So. Illinois (0-3) hosts ISU blue and travels to MSU.

I would not be surprised to see Missouri State alone in 2nd on November 1st with a few other contenders a game back. If SDSU is alone in 2nd at that time, I could honestly start thinking about dreams of a #2 seed. Until then, too many quality opponents in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
      No unexpected outcomes from this last weekend and the standings are pretty full of teams with postseason dreams. The next two weeks could sort out the pretenders from those with championship dreams. I'm a dreamer.

NDSU (3-0) hosts ISU red and travels to Vermillion.
      Illinois State (2-1) travels to Fargo and hosts SDSU.
      SDSU (2-1) travels to UNI and ISU red.
      Missouri State (2-1) hosts Western and Southern Illinois.
      UNI (2-1) hosts SDSU and travels to Western.
      USD (2-1) travels to Youngstown and hosts NDSU.
      Western Ill (1-2) travels to Missouri State and hosts UNI.
      YSU (1-2) hosts USD and ISU blue.
      ISU blue (0-3) travels to SIU and YSU.
      So. Illinois (0-3) hosts ISU blue and travels to MSU.

I would not be surprised to see Missouri State alone in 2nd on November 1st with a few other contenders a game back. If SDSU is alone in 2nd at that time, I could honestly start thinking about dreams of a #2 seed. Until then, too many quality opponents in the way.
      Here's hoping YSU knocks off USD this weekend. I'd like to see USD below or at .500 where they belong. I'm glad Illinois State has to go get beat up in Fargo before we play them. We know how physical NDSU is and it can likely only help if the redbirds get beat up a bit, like us. It'd be nice if they could escape Fargo with a win. Injuries are starting to accumulate for NDSU a bit too but nothing super serious like Wallace. Bruce Anderson and Robbie Grimsley have some hamstring issues but sounds like they aren't severe. Western at Missouri State will be an interesting game forsure. Is Missouri State for real this year?
      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

For the last 4 years, MoSt has been a W, especially in Brookings. I think this year, it’s a good thing we’re hosting rather than playing there. I’d be perfectly happy to have all 4 Dakota in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          For the last 4 years, MoSt has been a W, especially in Brookings. I think this year, it’s a good thing we’re hosting rather than playing there. I’d be perfectly happy to have all 4 Dakota in the playoffs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          For USD to make it, that's probably going to require them beating NDSU or SDSU as well as probably running the table for the rest of the season. I think they are struggling a bit. Nielsen is a heck of a coach, but this is his toughest test yet, with that program.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
            For USD to make it, that's probably going to require them beating NDSU or SDSU as well as probably running the table for the rest of the season. I think they are struggling a bit. Nielsen is a heck of a coach, but this is his toughest test yet, with that program.
            USD has beat the teams they were supposed to and have lost to those that are better than them. You are spot on with projecting their need to run the table and either beating NDSU or SDSU to qualify for the playoffs. That loss after leading late to KSU is becoming a bigger loss than the moral victor it appeared to be in August. Getting dominated by Weber State's defense was tell-tale on what kind of team they are. Giving up back-to-back TD's in the last minute of the first half against UNI could have spelled doom to their season. I actually hope that they bring a 6-4 record into Brookings the last week of the season. It would make for a fun, playoff type atmosphere and hopefully fill the stands better than if the game has no meaning.

Comment

My take on USD is that Neilson is very much a "system" coach, and patterns have started to show themselves in his teams.

1) The offense they run is asmuch about speed between snaps and number of offensive plays as it is scheme. Their offense is fairly basic, but they run it fast. I mentioned earlier, but if they get "off pace" and face a 3rd and long, their production seems to drop off.

2) Recruiting down there seems to have improved, but I think it's mostly been at the skill position. Their line is atrocious this year.

3) They are really undisciplined. Lots and lots of unsportsmanlike penalties and untamed emotion.

4) Simmons has a great deep ball. But he holds onto it way too long, panics with pressure, and makes bad decisions if they get "off pace".

5) Their run game is non existant this year. Yote fans don't understand why, but I think it's pretty obvious that their ground production the last two years was a product of Chris Streveler. And now that he's gone, they have to reinvent their ground scheme with a QB that, while capable in running the ball, is not even close to the talent that Strev was.

I'd be very surprised of they are better than 6-5 this season. I also think YSU will take them out on Saturday. If the game were in verm, I'd say the yotes would be favored. In Youngstown, I think it's the guins.

All of that being said, I think Nielson is a hell of a coach. But it also seems to me like USD, at best, will be a program under him that may occasionally contend for playoffs, but settles into average in the mvfc. They don't play good D down there, and the offense relies on surprise and speed to put up points. When USD has played anyone with a good D this year so far, they've been inept on O since they can't get into a hurry up timing.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                Is he a heck of a coach? I've watched USD this year and that team seems undisciplined as hell. So many unsportsmanlike penalties. In my opinion, that reflects the coach.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

He did prove himself at UMD. He backed into the playoffs last year and in 2015 at western though. Maybe the fair take is that he was a good coach in D2, but average in DI thus far. USD probably shouldn't have been in the field last year after losing their last 4 games. They bounced back with a TD saving fumble to beat Nicholls in the first round. And that very well could be their high water mark if Bob doesn't make a return trip this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    My take on USD is that Neilson is very much a "system" coach, and patterns have started to show themselves in his teams.

1) The offense they run is asmuch about speed between snaps and number of offensive plays as it is scheme. Their offense is fairly basic, but they run it fast. I mentioned earlier, but if they get "off pace" and face a 3rd and long, their production seems to drop off.

3) They are really undisciplined. Lots and lots of unsportsmanlike penalties and untamed emotion.

Could this be why cramp-gate worked so well in Vermillion last year? Some the yote fans have never forgiven us for the alleged cramping that we pull that took the momentum out of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      Could this be why cramp-gate worked so well in Vermillion last year? Some the yote fans have never forgiven us for the alleged cramping that we pull that took the momentum out of the game.
                      They should upgrade the HVAC system then . Sounds like at least one UNI player had similar cramping issues (or maybe Farley was just taking a page out of the Jacks' defensive playbook)

Comment

From the 2 or 3 games I’ve seen it’s pretty obvious the OL is USD’s biggest weak spot. That’s trouble heading into the cold weather (and NDSU/SDSU) portion of the schedule. NDSU may break Simmons in half.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
                          From the 2 or 3 games I’ve seen it’s pretty obvious the OL is USD’s biggest weak spot. That’s trouble heading into the cold weather (and NDSU/SDSU) portion of the schedule. NDSU may break Simmons in half.
                          Halved would be easier for Krolikowski to fit him in the "Krock Pot"

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                            I've thought that for a number of years, well before Nielsen took over the program, USD got more unsportsmanlike penalties than other teams I've watched. That's always been hard to believe but it seemed to be the case. I don't think there's a way to check on that -- box scores following games list the number of penalties and the total penalty yards but there doesn't seem to be a breakdown of the nature of the penalties. Anyone know of a way to get that information for past seasons?
                            I think with the media hype that usually forms around SDSU they have a form of the "napoleon complex". If you read their forum it really becomes apparent. No matter what the topic a SDSU dig is usually put into the thread. JMO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I deleted my post but not before it was quoted. I guess that's alright. It just doesn't stand to reason that a program under different coaches has a consistent problem with personal fouls. Yet, that's an impression I've had. I've wondered whether there is a way to check on support (evidence) for such an opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                I deleted my post but not before it was quoted. I guess that's alright. It just doesn't stand to reason that a program under different coaches has a consistent problem with personal fouls. Yet, that's an impression I've had. I've wondered whether there is a way to check on support (evidence) for such an opinion.
                                The "Play-By-Play" tab of the box score lists the type of penalty and yardage assessed (here's an example from 1st quarter of MSU-SDSU game)

Comment

Working...
                                X