Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MVFC 2018 Season

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
    Indiaba St has a non-counter win since it was a D2 school so their DI record would be 6-4 which may well keep them out.

Good catch!

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
      Indiaba St has a non-counter win since it was a D2 school so their DI record would be 6-4 which may well keep them out.
      Illinois State is in the same boat with a non-counter as they played a NAIA school to start the year, although they do have an FBS win. I agree with GopherHole in that the winner of the ISU red/blue game is on the bubble and the loser is out.

Comment

Interesting story from HERO Sports on how many MVFC teams make the postseason. Like most, they view NDSU and SDSU as virtual locks.

Per Sam Herder, HERO Sports: "The loser of the Illinois State and Indiana State is probably going to be eliminated from the playoffs because both have a non-counter win."

In regards to next week, Herder adds: "Depending on what happened the previous week, we could see another playoff elimination game between Indiana State and WIU."

The MVFC may not have the depth of teams qualifying for postseason play as usual, but it would be hard to imagine not having at least one team and possibly two teams playing in Frisco to end the season. I can also imagine having four teams playing in the second round of the playoffs.

A second story from HERO Sports has three different writers projecting their playoff field. Collectively they have Western Illinois, UNI, Illinois State, and Indiana State listed as bubble teams.

For the MVFC, the playoffs started last week and will likely continue through the next two Saturdays. I'd love to see five teams in, but I'm afraid at least one bubble will burst this week and don't rule out two bursting by midnight on November 17th.

Comment

After today's shakeup, does the MVFC get more than three teams in?

YSU 31 - UNI 10 (both eliminated)
          ISU blue 28 - ISU red 23 (red eliminated)
          USD 17 - W Illinois 12 (both eliminated)

NDSU and SDSU are in and both are likely high seeds (SDSU still needs to beat USD)

Comment

Idaho state, SEMO, Samford, and McNeese losing today means the bubble is opening up some.

You figure that the CAA will take at least 4 of the 14 at large bids. The Big Sky will for sure take two more at larges. The Valley will for sure take one more at large.

That leaves seven at large spots left. In no particular order, the teams fighting for those seven spots are:

Montana/Montana State winner
            Indiana State with 6 DI wins
            Idaho State with 6 DI wins
            The 6th place CAA team at 7-4
            8-3 SEMO
            8-3 Monmouth
            Wofford @ 8-3
            Furman @ 7-4
            UND @ 7-4
            NCA&T @ 8-3 and out of the Celebration Bowl
            UIW/Nicholls (depending on who gets the Southland auto)
            6-5 WIU
            6-5 ISUR
            6-5 UNI

Not a lot to choose from. I'm guessing the southland will steal another bid, in addition to amother one from the Big Sky. That brings us down to 5 left. The Socon will probably take one more with an at large, maybe two. 3-4 bids left is my guess.

Honestly, if that scenario unfolds, I don't know how you can't give the CAA 5 at larges. They'll have the bulk of the 7-4 or 8-3 teams in at large contention, and most of them have at least one good win. If you don't take 6 from the CAA and 4 from the Big Sky, you'll almost certainly be taking the #3 Southland/#2 OVC, #2 Big South teams to fill out the field. Crazy year.

*Edit*
            It's a real shame the Ivy, SWAC, and MEAC don't participate in the field. Instead of talking about the merits of a 6-4 Indiana state vs 8-3 Monmouth, we would have a 10-0 Princeton, 9-1 Dartmouth, 8-3 Alcorn State, and possibly a 7-3 Penn to fill up the field. At least this year we might get to see how NCA&T stacks up, unless FAMU slips up and gives the celebration bowl back to the Aggies.
            Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 11-10-2018, 10:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
              Idaho state, SEMO, Samford, and McNeese losing today means the bubble is opening up some.

You figure that the CAA will take at least 4 of the 14 at large bids. The Big Sky will for sure take two more at larges. The Valley will for sure take one more at large.

That leaves seven at large spots left. In no particular order, the teams fighting for those seven spots are:

Montana/Montana State winner
              Indiana State with 6 DI wins
              Idaho State with 6 DI wins
              The 6th place CAA team at 7-4
              8-3 SEMO
              8-3 Monmouth
              Wofford @ 8-3
              Furman @ 7-4
              UND @ 7-4
              NCA&T @ 8-3 and out of the Celebration Bowl
              UIW/Nicholls (depending on who gets the Southland auto)
              6-5 WIU
              6-5 ISUR
              6-5 UNI

Not a lot to choose from. I'm guessing the southland will steal another bid, in addition to amother one from the Big Sky. That brings us down to 5 left. The Socon will probably take one more with an at large, maybe two. 3-4 bids left is my guess.

Honestly, if that scenario unfolds, I don't know how you can't give the CAA 5 at larges. They'll have the bulk of the 7-4 or 8-3 teams in at large contention, and most of them have at least one good win. If you don't take 6 from the CAA and 4 from the Big Sky, you'll almost certainly be taking the #3 Southland/#2 OVC, #2 Big South teams to fill out the field. Crazy year.
              *whispers* the field is too big, it should only be 16

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                Don't whisper that. It needs to be shouted.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Yes. I'm okay with 24, because it adds more schools and fan bases into the post season, which is fun. It doesn't help the games be more competitive, but I'm not sure they would be if they went back to 16 today either. People like to point out how exciting the field was when it was 16, but they fail to mention that part of what made it exciting back then was the GSU/App State/Marshall/UMass teams of the division making it more comoetitive. Back then, Delaware, Montana, and McNeese were all at the top of the standings too, which added a lot to it. So I'm not sure if going back to 16 would automatically make the first round games better than the current set up. It would certainly make things more cut and dry.

I think 24 would be perfect if we had the IVY/MEAC/SWAC champions in the field too. This year, including those conferences would add in at least 4 quality teams to the field. 24 without them means we have to fill in those slots with #2 and #3 teams from places like the Ohio Valley.

Comment

Only way to get back to 16 is to start revoking auto bids. Since it is a NCAA sponsored postseason, at-large bids must at least equal auto bids. Lowest we can get to right now is 20. I guess that would be a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                      Only way to get back to 16 is to start revoking auto bids. Since it is a NCAA sponsored postseason, at-large bids must at least equal auto bids. Lowest we can get to right now is 20. I guess that would be a start.
                      I did not know that. When it was 16 teams, were there only 8 auto bids? Did 2 conferences get added?

Comment

Back then, the Pioneer didn't have an autobid, the Big South only started offering football in 2002, and I believe the NEC did not have a bid either. The Patriot may not have also had an auto bid back then either, but I'm not entirely sure. Back then, most conferences that didn't offer any/full scholarship numbers were not eligible for an automatic bid. I believe the NEC is still capped at 45 full scholarships today, but I could be wrong.

Comment

I did not know that. When it was 16 teams, were there only 8 auto bids? Did 2 conferences get added?
                          Yes. Pioneer got their auto bid and the Big South if I remember correctly. Going to 24 allows it to stay at the same number of the HBCUs and the Ivy decide to partake in the playoffs. I’m perfectly fine with the 24 team field. More football is always more fun to me. What really needs to happen is to do away with the bus rule, but that will never happen. Besides, if San Diego can have two years in a row with playoff W’s, who knows who could come out of nowhere. I got a feeling once teams like North Alabama and some of the Southland teams get their sea legs, 24 won’t feel so crowded. There’s a legit chance that the Big South could become a 4th power conference if Campbell, Monmouth, and UNA keep getting better. That would wash out a decent chunk of poor at large teams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            What really needs to happen is to do away with the bus rule, but that will never happen.
                            How about the bus-rule for the 1st round games, then re-seed those winners and send them off to their respective matchups. Though I could see the top 8 seeds not liking it as is basically takes away a week of focusing on only two teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                              How about the bus-rule for the 1st round games, then re-seed those winners and send them off to their respective matchups. Though I could see the top 8 seeds not liking it as is basically takes away a week of focusing on only two teams.
                              Wouldnt be bad IMO but i dont think that changes anytime soon either. It makes too much sense and still saves the commitee abiut what it saves them now.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk
                              Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                                Yes. I'm okay with 24, because it adds more schools and fan bases into the post season, which is fun. It doesn't help the games be more competitive, but I'm not sure they would be if they went back to 16 today either. People like to point out how exciting the field was when it was 16, but they fail to mention that part of what made it exciting back then was the GSU/App State/Marshall/UMass teams of the division making it more comoetitive. Back then, Delaware, Montana, and McNeese were all at the top of the standings too, which added a lot to it. So I'm not sure if going back to 16 would automatically make the first round games better than the current set up. It would certainly make things more cut and dry.

I think 24 would be perfect if we had the IVY/MEAC/SWAC champions in the field too. This year, including those conferences would add in at least 4 quality teams to the field. 24 without them means we have to fill in those slots with #2 and #3 teams from places like the Ohio Valley.
                                I could be wrong but I think when it got to 16 teams left in the playoffs last year only 2 teams that were left were not ranked in the top 18 in the final FCS poll. I go by 18 since you have the two conference champs that opt out of the playoffs. That means that if you only have a 16 team playoff, you would have about the same match ups but a couple of the "bad" auto bids wouldn't have a chance to lose out in their first round game. This way the top 8 teams get a off week to get healthy too so they are more at full strength later in the playoffs.

Comment

Working...
                                X