MVFC 2018 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVFC 2018 Season

It has been an interesting season thus far with all of the non-conference games, but now it is time for the regular season to kickoff and that will happen Thursday night.

UNI at Indiana State
    ISU blue is 2-1 with wins over Quincy and Eastern Illinois. Their loss is to Louisville and it is hard to gauge much from that game. Indiana State was picked to finish last in the preseason poll.
    UNI was picked 3rd in the preseason poll, and many believe they could be the 2nd best team behind NDSU. They lost by 3 in Missoula and were down by 38 to Iowa before scoring the final 14. Hampton was the medicine they needed to build some confidence.
    Prediction: UNI 31 - ISU 17
    USD at Southern Illinois
    Matchup between two teams predicted to be scrambling for the middle of the pack and likely out of playoff contention.
    USD started the season well with a strong showing at Kansas State and a solid win over Northern Colorado. While the score doesn't tell the story, they got manhandled by Weber State, 27-10.
    The Salukis are trying to build something after struggling the last few years. They destroyed Murray State to start the season, but then they collected their game check from Ole Miss and licked their wounds. SE Missouri got the best of them in a shootout.
    This one could go either way, but the pups will beat the pups. USD 36 - SIU 31
    YSU at Western Illinois
    The Fighting Pelinis were picked to finish 4th in the MVFC and likely qualify for the playoffs. Then the lost to Butler at home and took their beating, (payday), from West Virginia. Nothing builds confidence like a date with Valpo before MVFC league play.
    Western was picked 7th in the preseason poll, but has played solid in non-conference play. They split with the two Montana schools and actually had the lead early and were still in the game entering the 4th quarter vs. the Illini before falling.
    Western wins at home 24-12.
    Illinois State at Missouri State
    This is turning out to be a bigger game than initially expected. MSU was projected to compete with ISU blue for the bottom of the standings. However, a dominating blowout win vs Northern Arizona had to build some early season momentum. Their only loss is to Oklahoma State.
    Illinois State has hit the gates running, with blowout wins over Saint Xavier and Eastern Illinois. This last Saturday they ran all over Colorado State in an impressive 35-19 over the reeling Rams.
    If MSU doesn't come out strong early, this one turns into a blowout. ISU 41 - MSU 21.

SDSU at NDSU
    Marker game - enough said.

Re: MVFC 2018 Season

That USD-SIU game is going to break the scoreboard, both defenses are horrible and both offenses are dangerous. I’ll take SIU at home, but it’ll be close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

UNI handling ISUb 23-0 in second half..
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
        UNI handling ISUb 23-0 in second half..
        Uffda, UNI's OL absolutely brutalized the Trees defense.

Comment

Missouri St beats Illinois St

Comment

Score update around the Valley (09.29.18, about 8:30 PM):

Illinois State 21 Missouri State 24
            SDSU 17, NDSU 21
            UNI 33, Indiana State 0
            Youngstown State 38 Western Illinois 45
            USD 10, SIU 17 with 9:35 in 3rd

and a few other FCS scores
            Montana 41, Cal Poly 21 1:38 in the 3rd
            Eastern Washington 34, Montana State 17
            North Dakota 38, Northern Colorado 13

Comment

USD stepped on the gas pedal and at the end of the 3rd, is up 31-17 at Southern Illinois.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                USD stepped on the gas pedal and at the end of the 3rd, is up 31-17 at Southern Illinois.
                Both teams played like hot garbage for most of the game. SIU could do just about anything they wanted between the 30s most of the game, and USD was making 3 play scoring drives in the second half. USD can move the ball quick if they can stay in rythym, but if they can't, they look very poor. And they still are having trouble with picking up pressure. Simmons ha's great arm strength, but I haven't seen much else from him in 2+ games that shows he's the type of player that can will them to victory. Based on what I've seen so far, I'll be surprised if they make the field, unless they fix some of the issues on the oline and develop a dependable run game.

Comment

Listened to a bit of the USD game driving from Brookings to Volga and back. They USD announcer is one of the most annoying guys I have ever listened to. Complete homer right down to complaining about the officials and calls. Second rate announcer for a second rate program. Never so thankful for our press guys who are first class!

Comment

P
                    Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                    Listened to a bit of the USD game driving from Brookings to Volga and back. They USD announcer is one of the most annoying guys I have ever listened to. Complete homer right down to complaining about the officials and calls. Second rate announcer for a second rate program. Never so thankful for our press guys who are first class!
                    Joe Van Gor no doubt. He once did color for the late Norm Hilson, voice of Jackrabbits. Joe is a loyal alum of USD.
                    Last edited by Nidaros; 09-30-2018, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Final was USD 31, SIU 24

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Joe Van Gor no doubt. He once did color got the late Norm Hilson, voice of Jackrabbits
                        Please clarify.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                          Please clarify.

Joe is a very loyal USD alum and once worked for WNAX. He was the color guy for Norm Hilson who was until he died suddenly the Voice of SDSU Jackrabbits. Since SDSU purchased the broadcast rights from WNAX, they controlled who did the broadcast. Joe did not hide his USD loyalty and it was enough to get him fired and enter very neutral and capable Steve Emming as voice of the Jackrabbits. Joe later used letters to editor to be very critical of AD Fred Oien for firing him. This was before the power of Twitter. This was awhile back like early 1990’s.
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 09-30-2018, 06:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SteelSD View Post
                            geez guy, he's my cousin on my mom's side, but then all my cousins who went to used are homers for them.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              geez guy, he's my cousin on my mom's side, but then all my cousins who went to used are homers for them.
                              Years ago, I went on WNAX bus trip to a Twins game and Joe was the moderator on our bus. I had a nice visit with him and he never brought up the greatness of USD. I was living in Columbus Nebraska at the time and asked why they did not do Jack baseball games, and he very politely told me they did not have advertising to do that. He is a good guy despite his broadcast bias. I hope my post was not offensive but factual as to what did happen in his departure from WNAX. You dont pick your parents, aunts, uncles nor cousins

Comment

Working...
                              X