Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Arkansas Pine-Sol Golden Linens

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
    In my time (99-02) Dusty Rhodes was the senior 10+ consecutive years in The Pride. Tuba Wayne would be up there with close to 10 over different times. I want to say someone in the 1970s-1980s had 15 years over undergrad, master's, and doctorates spaced out.
    Interesting career

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
      I never thought I would see so much discussion on a Pride performance on here, yet, here we are. I'll try answering some questions about the show the best I can.

We did practice with Duel Shape, the guitar player, a couple times in the stadium before we performed it on gameday. Our instructors were sitting high up in the stands right on the 50 when we were testing the volume. It should be noted that the stands were obviously empty during all of this. Most of us students liked this show and are very proud of what we did but didn't know how we sounded compared to the guitar. For the idea of using an amp on the field, if people are willing to donate the money for one that would work in the stadium, Dr. Kessler will not turn you down for money or free stuff for the band (we can think of many other things we could use money like that for, though.) Dr. Kessler did say we will have a new show for the next home game, but don't quote me on that; the decision could easily change and the guitar show could be back for one last time. I'm sorry that most of you didn't get the full experience of our show, but hope you will continue to show your love and support for The Pride. If you are really bothered by something you could always send Dr. Kessler an e-mail or stop by and talk to him in Lincoln Music Hall. He did his doctoral dissertation on The Pride and would love to talk to you about the band and this school that he so dearly loves.

The Pride is about the same size as it has been the past couple years. We've been around that 200 mark for a while. I do believe we are under 200 this year. My first time seeing The Pride was when it was 350+ the year they went to the Rose Bowl. There are various reasons why it has shrunk: change of directors, years with a big trip vs years without one, loss of interest, different from high school marching band, class conflicts, etc. That list could go on and on. We would love to be a 300+ band again but can't force people to be part of the band. We practice 5 hours a week plus do gamedays and trips to small towns and have to pay to be in the group for a 1 credit class. All of that just isn't worth it to some students.

As for Duel (yes, that's his real name), you should really check him out. He's a vocal music education major and has been performing and running a 80s tribute band since high school. His preparation to sing and perform for those shows is insane! You've maybe even seen him at some bar or event in the summer time when he gets most of his gigs. His band is called "Duel" (ironic, right?)

Again, thank you to all who support The Pride. Not every school has fans who stay in the stands to watch the band perform at halftime every week. We are very lucky to have such amazing fans for the Jackrabbits and The Pride!

GO STATE! GO STATE!

P.S. I'm also in year 7 of The Pride. Long story.
      I never complain about much, but it was the worst thing I've heard from a marching band in a very long time. The guitar is the only thing I could hear. Even if it was not as amped up, since when do we have a heavy medal guitarist in a marching band? Why is he on the podium for 3 songs. I felt the performance was all about him instead of the other 199 members. I heard very similar comments from everyone around me. Hopefully something changes for the half times in the future. The Pride is something my family has always looked forward to hearing, but I will head to the concession during the performance in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmieTuba View Post
        In my time (99-02) Dusty Rhodes was the senior 10+ consecutive years in The Pride. Tuba Wayne would be up there with close to 10 over different times. I want to say someone in the 1970s-1980s had 15 years over undergrad, master's, and doctorates spaced out.
        Haha I know him. The all American dream dusty Rhodes. Heck silent Bob on the drum line I don't think he was even a student. I think he was a manager at God father's.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if APB recruited Pierre Strong, Jr?

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
            Just out of curiousity, does anyone know if APB recruited Pierre Strong, Jr?
            Pine Bluff is only about 45 miles from Little Rock so it would make sense they had some contact with him but were never listed as a school that offered.

RB - Pierre Strong**, 6'0" 195, Little Rock, AR, (McClellan) - HUDL
            Offers: Missouri State, Central Arkansas, Eastern Illinois

Comment

APBU is down 62-13 to Prairie View A & M late in 3rd Quarter., The woes continues.

Comment

• 5 years ago…

Comment

Working...
                X