Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: GDT: Arkansas Pine-Sol Golden Linens

Originally posted by goon View Post
    At the Montana state game I thought it was horrible half time show. I am a seven year member of the pride. I was amazed at how bad it was and how bad it sounded. Playing power cords does not a rock star make.
    Has the Pride size been significantly reduced as it appears not nearly as big of band as years past?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
      Has the Pride size been significantly reduced as it appears not nearly as big of band as years past?
      We had the same conversation. Sure looked smaller. When I was there before the first rose bowl trip we spelled out sdsu and did the state outline we had so many members. 400 plus easily some of those years.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

At the Montana state game I thought it was horrible half time show. I am a seven year member of the pride. I was amazed at how bad it was and how bad it sounded. Playing power cords does not a rock star make.
        Well that post begs a few questions. First, please tell me you have a Pharm D or some other terminal degree. Were you in the Pride for seven years?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
          Well that post begs a few questions. First, please tell me you have a Pharm D or some other terminal degree. Were you in the Pride for seven years?
          Part time student so I Could work still to pay for college and beer money.
          I did my first 2 years as full time. Was out a Semester. Then finished as a part time student. I had a lot of fun that decade.

I think one of the drummers had me beat. Can't think of his name. Drew?
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I was worried you were going to say the sixth grade was the best four years of your life.

Comment

I never thought I would see so much discussion on a Pride performance on here, yet, here we are. I'll try answering some questions about the show the best I can.

We did practice with Duel Shape, the guitar player, a couple times in the stadium before we performed it on gameday. Our instructors were sitting high up in the stands right on the 50 when we were testing the volume. It should be noted that the stands were obviously empty during all of this. Most of us students liked this show and are very proud of what we did but didn't know how we sounded compared to the guitar. For the idea of using an amp on the field, if people are willing to donate the money for one that would work in the stadium, Dr. Kessler will not turn you down for money or free stuff for the band (we can think of many other things we could use money like that for, though.) Dr. Kessler did say we will have a new show for the next home game, but don't quote me on that; the decision could easily change and the guitar show could be back for one last time. I'm sorry that most of you didn't get the full experience of our show, but hope you will continue to show your love and support for The Pride. If you are really bothered by something you could always send Dr. Kessler an e-mail or stop by and talk to him in Lincoln Music Hall. He did his doctoral dissertation on The Pride and would love to talk to you about the band and this school that he so dearly loves.

The Pride is about the same size as it has been the past couple years. We've been around that 200 mark for a while. I do believe we are under 200 this year. My first time seeing The Pride was when it was 350+ the year they went to the Rose Bowl. There are various reasons why it has shrunk: change of directors, years with a big trip vs years without one, loss of interest, different from high school marching band, class conflicts, etc. That list could go on and on. We would love to be a 300+ band again but can't force people to be part of the band. We practice 5 hours a week plus do gamedays and trips to small towns and have to pay to be in the group for a 1 credit class. All of that just isn't worth it to some students.

As for Duel (yes, that's his real name), you should really check him out. He's a vocal music education major and has been performing and running a 80s tribute band since high school. His preparation to sing and perform for those shows is insane! You've maybe even seen him at some bar or event in the summer time when he gets most of his gigs. His band is called "Duel" (ironic, right?)

Again, thank you to all who support The Pride. Not every school has fans who stay in the stands to watch the band perform at halftime every week. We are very lucky to have such amazing fans for the Jackrabbits and The Pride!

GO STATE! GO STATE!

P.S. I'm also in year 7 of The Pride. Long story.
              Rollin' in my 5.0
              With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
              Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

Thank you for your thorough explanation. Please don’t take some of my comments seriously, I really enjoy the half time show.

Comment

When o was in the band we had shows with guitars and bass with amps on the field. Not sure whose we used. But that was on the old stadium. All I know is o got text from people at the game who basically were asking if it was the worst show we have had in a long time. I heard from friends who weren't there saying they heard it was that bad. You win some you lose some.

Comment

Regardless of problems with balancing the sound, I thought the guitarists was great. Very entertaining. He's obviously a talented guy.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                      Regardless of problems with balancing the sound, I thought the guitarists was great. Very entertaining. He's obviously a talented guy.
                      Seeing him play in bar would probably be more entertaining then with a marching band.

Comment

Originally posted by THE PRIDE IS BACK!!! View Post
                        I never thought I would see so much discussion on a Pride performance on here, yet, here we are. I'll try answering some questions about the show the best I can.

We did practice with Duel Shape, the guitar player, a couple times in the stadium before we performed it on gameday. Our instructors were sitting high up in the stands right on the 50 when we were testing the volume. It should be noted that the stands were obviously empty during all of this. Most of us students liked this show and are very proud of what we did but didn't know how we sounded compared to the guitar. For the idea of using an amp on the field, if people are willing to donate the money for one that would work in the stadium, Dr. Kessler will not turn you down for money or free stuff for the band (we can think of many other things we could use money like that for, though.) Dr. Kessler did say we will have a new show for the next home game, but don't quote me on that; the decision could easily change and the guitar show could be back for one last time. I'm sorry that most of you didn't get the full experience of our show, but hope you will continue to show your love and support for The Pride. If you are really bothered by something you could always send Dr. Kessler an e-mail or stop by and talk to him in Lincoln Music Hall. He did his doctoral dissertation on The Pride and would love to talk to you about the band and this school that he so dearly loves.

The Pride is about the same size as it has been the past couple years. We've been around that 200 mark for a while. I do believe we are under 200 this year. My first time seeing The Pride was when it was 350+ the year they went to the Rose Bowl. There are various reasons why it has shrunk: change of directors, years with a big trip vs years without one, loss of interest, different from high school marching band, class conflicts, etc. That list could go on and on. We would love to be a 300+ band again but can't force people to be part of the band. We practice 5 hours a week plus do gamedays and trips to small towns and have to pay to be in the group for a 1 credit class. All of that just isn't worth it to some students.

As for Duel (yes, that's his real name), you should really check him out. He's a vocal music education major and has been performing and running a 80s tribute band since high school. His preparation to sing and perform for those shows is insane! You've maybe even seen him at some bar or event in the summer time when he gets most of his gigs. His band is called "Duel" (ironic, right?)

Again, thank you to all who support The Pride. Not every school has fans who stay in the stands to watch the band perform at halftime every week. We are very lucky to have such amazing fans for the Jackrabbits and The Pride!

GO STATE! GO STATE!

P.S. I'm also in year 7 of The Pride. Long story.
                        Can we get Duel to play in the Pep Band?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                          Can we get Duel to play in the Pep Band?
                          For B.B.? Interesting idea.

Comment

Originally posted by BigGoosie13 View Post
                            The OP and the UAPB posters all look to be cool over there, they blame themselves for the outcome of the game, not the Jacks.
                            I agree, the tone in the article is a bit different than the forum. However, that should be expected. I didn't mean to come off harsh on the posters.
                            Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                            -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

We had the same conversation. Sure looked smaller. When I was there before the first rose bowl trip we spelled out sdsu and did the state outline we had so many members. 400 plus easily some of those years.
                              The Pride always has 'tidal effects'. It depends on what the trip is for a given season. My first year (fall 99) I believe the number was close to 300 (Washington DC trip). The following fall it was more like 250. The first Rose year (2003) the pride was up to 450.

One of the benefits and determents to the openness, numbers flux.

Comment

Part time student so I Could work still to pay for college and beer money.
                                I did my first 2 years as full time. Was out a Semester. Then finished as a part time student. I had a lot of fun that decade.

I think one of the drummers had me beat. Can't think of his name. Drew?
                                In my time (99-02) Dusty Rhodes was the senior 10+ consecutive years in The Pride. Tuba Wayne would be up there with close to 10 over different times. I want to say someone in the 1970s-1980s had 15 years over undergrad, master's, and doctorates spaced out.

Comment

Working...
                                X