X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: Arkansas Pine Bluff

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
    FIFY

If we are worried about conditioning into a game, then no one was working the rest of the week. We'll be fine. get the starters out of there when you are up by 24. If you have to put them back in then do so. I'd rather do that then keep them in unnecessarily. Keeping in the starters too long is my longstanding gripe with this team. It's ridiculous.
    I agree. These are DI football players. If their conditioning is an issue, then we need to get a new coaching staff.

I worry more about guys "letting up" when we are up big. When someone isn't going 100% that seems to be when injuries occur. Let's try to get the 2nd and 3rds some work to keep building for the future.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I'd rather go into the NDSU game with all starters healthy, even if they're rusty after this game and a bye. That probably will mean more than an extra game on the 22nd. It's going to be difficult on the 29th @ NDSU any way we slice it:

1) We're not known to play well off of a bye week
      2) We'll have had one less game to "settle in"
      3) Jacks usually have their first letdown game in late September (See YSU in 17, Poly in 16, NDSU 15, ISUR 14, NDSU 13)
      4) MSU was an extremely run heavy team. Sounds like APB is pass heavy. NDSU is obviously run orineted, but more balanced on O than either of our first two opponents. It'll be a little different prep than these first two games were.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        FIFY

If we are worried about conditioning into a game, then no one was working the rest of the week. We'll be fine. get the starters out of there when you are up by 24. If you have to put them back in then do so. I'd rather do that then keep them in unnecessarily. Keeping in the starters too long is my longstanding gripe with this team. It's ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          I agree. These are DI football players. If their conditioning is an issue, then we need to get a new coaching staff.

I worry more about guys "letting up" when we are up big. When someone isn't going 100% that seems to be when injuries occur. Let's try to get the 2nd and 3rds some work to keep building for the future.
          I think it would be more mental. Having to be in the zone for a full game is different. I would think they should be prepared and fresh physically and mentally.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I have never been to NDSU for a football game but I hope the players properly hydrate themselves if need be. Cox cramped up 3 times at USD last year. I think there were 2 other players that went down once but he sure seemed to not handle the conditions well.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
              Jacks are 51.5 point favorites, total is 71.5, predicted score of 61-10. Should be an opportunity to put the new red shirt rule to use as the starters may get pulled at half or early in the 3rd quarter.
              I know that the players can play 4 games and not lose a season but is there still a rule about how many players can suit up for the game? It seemed like SDSU played about everybody last week (not Boen, Schmidt- is he still injured, 3rd string QB, and a few others) but they still had all of their redshirts not wearing pads.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                I have never been to NDSU for a football game but I hope the players properly hydrate themselves if need be. Cox cramped up 3 times at USD last year. I think there were 2 other players that went down once but he sure seemed to not handle the conditions well.
                Part of that was the pace of the USD offense. When a team is accustomed to a certain rotation, hurry up offenses can really throw their bodies off.
                -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

I think you would rather get your second and third strings guys in for some playing time rather than worrying about getting the potential redshirts in.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                    I think you would rather get your second and third strings guys in for some playing time rather than worrying about getting the potential redshirts in.
                    Mason McCormick, Caleb Sanders, Blake Kunz, and CJ Wilson are second and third string guys. Other than them, I wouldn't be surprised if J'Bore gets a series or two. However, I don't think it will be many more outside of this group. Maybe Cade Terveer and Ryan Van Marel.
                    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                      Crampgate

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                        I guess the point I was trying to make is a lot of the second and third string players played a good share of the second half of the last game so I don't know if I see this week being much different. They might get in a series or two sooner but like other people are saying with only 2 games before NDSU you can't take that starters out much sooner regardless of the score.
                        So far, I don't know if the redshirt rule has effected SDSU. The redshirts and maybe 4 other players are the only people that didn't play last game. It might not matter unless there is an injury later in the season.

Comment

I played college football and if you don't believe game (shape) conditioning is different than practice you're completely mistaken. You can not simulate the physical and mental fatigue of playing 4 quarters with an NDSU. This has nothing to due with coaching, but rather the tough scenerio our coaches are in.

Comment

Sneak peak of tomorrows "3 Matchups to Watch"
                            3 Matchups to Watch:

1. Jordan Brown vs. Josh Wilkes

This matchup has me pumped for Saturday! JB is one of the best CBs in the FCS and is drawing interest from NFL level scouts. Wilkes, a former Eastern Michigan commit, is 2nd in the FCS in receiving yards with 420 yards. I would fully expect Brown to lock in on Wilkes wherever he lines up. Last year Wilkes was playing at Juco powerhouse Butler CC and was receiving offers from FBS schools including Southern Mississippi. He possess good size (6'3, 183) and appears to have above average speed. With the MVFC graduating so many top wide receivers last season, this may be the best receiver that Brown will have the chance to face this season. Jordan made a beautiful interception last week but also let a receiver get behind him in the 2nd half for a big gain. This matchup will be one to watch.

2. Jackrabbit OLBs vs. Golden Lion quick pass game

The Golden Lions have two options in their passing game; chuck it deep or get it out quick. The OLB group of Logan Backhaus, Dalton Cox, Seven Wilson, Levi Brown, and Eric Kleinschmit will have to balance their responsibilities of stopping the run and getting out on the perimeter. UAPB has four very good athletes on the outside so it will be important to be sound in angles and making the tackle when the opportunity is there. Last week the Jacks really swarmed to the ball. If they can continue that this week, they should be okay.

3. #605Hogs vs. UAPB Front 7

The UAPB front seven seems susceptible to the run. Through two contests they are allowing 218 yards per game on the ground. They have decent size but must struggle to get off blocks. If the Jacks can establish a power running game, it could put this game out of reach early. However, the Jacks are still breaking in a few new starters. Last week against a stout Montana State defensive line they were able to grind out 193 yards on a 4.6 ypc average. I would expect the Jacks running game to have a big day. If the Golden Lions can slow down the running game it could keep the game closer than many expect.

I've seen on Twitter that a number of verbals and potential recruits will be making their official visits to campus this weekend. Lets hope the Jacks can give them a good show. Also, this weekend is the Beef Bowl. The meal will be just on the north side of the SJAC. They will be serving from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm and you can get tickets on site for $8 per plate. It is still done by the Department of Animal Science and the proceeds go to support undergraduate scholarships in the department.

Have a great weekend! Jacks win 52-13.

Comment

Originally posted by BULLDOG View Post
                              I played college football and if you don't believe game (shape) conditioning is different than practice you're completely mistaken. You can not simulate the physical and mental fatigue of playing 4 quarters with an NDSU. This has nothing to due with coaching, but rather the tough scenerio our coaches are in.
                              This effect is somewhat concerning for me. Losing the Iowa State game is big, because now we'll have two easy games against MSU and APB followed by a bye before playing the #1 ranked and most physical FCS team in the country in NDSU. Granted NDSU's schedule hasn't been very tough either, but it would be nice to have a few games of MVFC play to get us up to speed before going up against NDSU.

Comment

Anyone want to talk about the game???

Things they'd like to see? Plays they'd like to see called? Adjustments from game 1 to 2? Heck, what are people cooking at their tailgate spots this week? etc, etc etc... I know we are going to blow them out but the lack of interest is kind of depressing.

Comment

Working...
                                X