Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: Montana State

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
    Just make sure it's an actual diaper bag and not a backpack. They don't make an exception if you use a backpack as a diaper bag (dumb, I know).
    We have every year with little ones. But always figure they will crack down one of these years.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

MSU Head Coach Jeff Choate's weekly presser:

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Hello Jackrabbits! Excited for the game.

Mr Tibbs had a pretty solid writeup actually about MSU. Speed on the edge hurt us, especially in the 1st half but we buckled down.

A few comments about the write up. Our starting S did go down but from everything I've read he is good to go. He had a pick earlier, he is a VT transfer. But his backup was the starter against SDSU last year and ended up getting hurt, so I don't think there is much of a dropoff if the main guy can't go.

As far as the DL goes, also keep in mind that we were without our only preseason all-conference play, our nose tackle Tucker Yates, a senior. He was suspended for a game for violating team rules. He isn't exactly a huge playmaker form his DT spot but he's very hard to blow off the line and can warrant a double team at times. Very good in run defense.

It seems we finally figured out how to rush the QB. Granted WIU was breaking in like 4 new OL starters so I'll hold my breath on that, but we brought in some firepower in #37 Bryce Sterk to play buck end, who is listed at 6'5 250 but likely is closer to 260, a dropdown from Washington who played for Coach Choate there when he coached the DL. He ended with 4 tackles for loss and 2 sacks in his debut. Couple that with a healthy Tyrone Fa'anono, who has been injured on and off his career here, and a 6'2 270 Choate says he's playing at a level as good as anyone in the conference right now.

We were without our slated two starting linebackers, and Choate really likes to keep injuries close to the vest. They weren't on the depth charted just released but in the Choate world that does't necessarily mean much. Grant Collins might be back, our best MLB, 6'4 240.

Offense is obviously a concern. They were put in a position to succeed multiple times against WIU and did just enough to win. Troy Andersen is a stud athlete but a solid FCS QB he is not, at least not yet. Yea he played QB in high school but he wasn't recruited by anyone for that, he is a much better LB or even a RB. But he beat out some higher profile (stars) guys for the job, and against WIU was his first start at QB since high school, and he spent his first year in the program last year switching between LB and RB, mainly RB. He has a strong arm and you could see him take baby steps in the 2nd half vs the 1st half but he has a long ways to go if he is going to take us to a conference title. But I do disagree about his speed, he is a tall, big kid with a long stride so it does not appear he is moving very fast, but he was a track star in high school running a 10.88 100M - he is straight line fast, he isn't shifty. He's a big kid too so he'd rather run you over than around you anyway - he's 6'3 225 and is the arguably the fastest guy on the team, top 3 at worst. Andersen needs to spread the ball around more on the option and settle in on the short to intermediate throws.

RB situation is hampered by injury, started a true freshman against WIU and honestly Andersen kept most of the read options so didn't get a great look at them. We lost a lot of production here from last year. Our leading rusher last year was QB Chris Murray who is academically ineligible for the year, hence the QB mess.

This is a pretty hard game to gauge, especially since your game was cancelled. But we played on Thursday so we basically had 2 extra days to prepare for you than you for us, for whatever that might be worth. MSU's offense is simple and our QB and RBs need to prove themselves, but we have a really good OL and a QB who can run as good as any QB in the conference. We aren't going to win any shootouts but if Andersen can complete those 5-15 yard passes on a consistent basis, that's an element we did not have last year and it will keep defenses a bit more honest.

I don't think we have it together just yet to come away with a W, but the way this team is built I don't think we'll get blown out.

An interesting note about the depth chart released - Troy Andersen is listed as starting QB with an "OR" for Tucker Rovig. Last week Rovig was the backup with Andersen and Travis Jonsen listed as the co-starters.
        Rovig was a 3 star state champion QB in ID, and had a fairly decent fall camp after a pretty dismal spring camp. Travis Jonsen is a former 4 star Oregon recruit who is essentially a Chris Murray 2.0, in that he is very, very mobile but his accuracy isn't any better than Murray's or even Andersen's. Jonsen practiced some at WR in fall camp and actually started there against WIU. Rovig is the only true QB of the bunch, but his mental game didn't quite seem like it was up to snuff yet, but he's only a RSFR. It'll be interesting to see if he gets any snaps.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticCat View Post
          Hello Jackrabbits! Excited for the game.

Mr Tibbs had a pretty solid writeup actually about MSU. Speed on the edge hurt us, especially in the 1st half but we buckled down.

A few comments about the write up. Our starting S did go down but from everything I've read he is good to go. He had a pick earlier, he is a VT transfer. But his backup was the starter against SDSU last year and ended up getting hurt, so I don't think there is much of a dropoff if the main guy can't go.

As far as the DL goes, also keep in mind that we were without our only preseason all-conference play, our nose tackle Tucker Yates, a senior. He was suspended for a game for violating team rules. He isn't exactly a huge playmaker form his DT spot but he's very hard to blow off the line and can warrant a double team at times. Very good in run defense.

It seems we finally figured out how to rush the QB. Granted WIU was breaking in like 4 new OL starters so I'll hold my breath on that, but we brought in some firepower in #37 Bryce Sterk to play buck end, who is listed at 6'5 250 but likely is closer to 260, a dropdown from Washington who played for Coach Choate there when he coached the DL. He ended with 4 tackles for loss and 2 sacks in his debut. Couple that with a healthy Tyrone Fa'anono, who has been injured on and off his career here, and a 6'2 270 Choate says he's playing at a level as good as anyone in the conference right now.

We were without our slated two starting linebackers, and Choate really likes to keep injuries close to the vest. They weren't on the depth charted just released but in the Choate world that does't necessarily mean much. Grant Collins might be back, our best MLB, 6'4 240.

Offense is obviously a concern. They were put in a position to succeed multiple times against WIU and did just enough to win. Troy Andersen is a stud athlete but a solid FCS QB he is not, at least not yet. Yea he played QB in high school but he wasn't recruited by anyone for that, he is a much better LB or even a RB. But he beat out some higher profile (stars) guys for the job, and against WIU was his first start at QB since high school, and he spent his first year in the program last year switching between LB and RB, mainly RB. He has a strong arm and you could see him take baby steps in the 2nd half vs the 1st half but he has a long ways to go if he is going to take us to a conference title. But I do disagree about his speed, he is a tall, big kid with a long stride so it does not appear he is moving very fast, but he was a track star in high school running a 10.88 100M - he is straight line fast, he isn't shifty. He's a big kid too so he'd rather run you over than around you anyway - he's 6'3 225 and is the arguably the fastest guy on the team, top 3 at worst. Andersen needs to spread the ball around more on the option and settle in on the short to intermediate throws.

RB situation is hampered by injury, started a true freshman against WIU and honestly Andersen kept most of the read options so didn't get a great look at them. We lost a lot of production here from last year. Our leading rusher last year was QB Chris Murray who is academically ineligible for the year, hence the QB mess.

This is a pretty hard game to gauge, especially since your game was cancelled. But we played on Thursday so we basically had 2 extra days to prepare for you than you for us, for whatever that might be worth. MSU's offense is simple and our QB and RBs need to prove themselves, but we have a really good OL and a QB who can run as good as any QB in the conference. We aren't going to win any shootouts but if Andersen can complete those 5-15 yard passes on a consistent basis, that's an element we did not have last year and it will keep defenses a bit more honest.

I don't think we have it together just yet to come away with a W, but the way this team is built I don't think we'll get blown out.

An interesting note about the depth chart released - Troy Andersen is listed as starting QB with an "OR" for Tucker Rovig. Last week Rovig was the backup with Andersen and Travis Jonsen listed as the co-starters.
          Rovig was a 3 star state champion QB in ID, and had a fairly decent fall camp after a pretty dismal spring camp. Travis Jonsen is a former 4 star Oregon recruit who is essentially a Chris Murray 2.0, in that he is very, very mobile but his accuracy isn't any better than Murray's or even Andersen's. Jonsen practiced some at WR in fall camp and actually started there against WIU. Rovig is the only true QB of the bunch, but his mental game didn't quite seem like it was up to snuff yet, but he's only a RSFR. It'll be interesting to see if he gets any snaps.
          welcome back! As a fanbase we are very excited for this game for many reasons one of which is we have yet to really see our team in action. Very interested to see what transpires with the QB situation. I feel like we have the speed on the edge to help contain Anderson and have always had a swarming mentality defensively. It'll be interesting to actually see our offense in action and how the Cats D adjusts to it. I get the feeling that the jet sweep, option, shovel pass, bubble screen will all be in heavy doses.

Do you have an idea of how many Cats fans will be making the trip?

Comment

Depth chart copied from the Bobcatnation forum. Couple things, supposedly the QB T Anderson has sustained a broken left hand but won't miss time. Tough SOB, he will run more than pass...he is the player that also played RB and LB last year. Kind of their all everything athlete. He's very good and much faster than he looks. I think he will have some success running because we always have issues right away with any kind of option. Jonsen is a QB but is listed as a starter at X. Very good athletes it sounds like and they are putting them on the field to give them the best chance.

Comment

Some highlights from the WIU if you’re interested:

http://www.swxrightnow.com/video/201...6-23-season-o/

https://montanasports.com/cat-griz/m...tern-illinois/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

As always, I'm scared to death of whoever we play for the home opener.

The wounds of playing Cal Poly's option a few years ago run deep. (yes, I know it wasn't the home opener. It still gives me nightmares)

If you recall, I was worried about Duquesne last year, too.

Comment

Originally posted by CelticCat View Post
                  Some highlights from the WIU if you’re interested:

http://www.swxrightnow.com/video/201...6-23-season-o/

https://montanasports.com/cat-griz/m...tern-illinois/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Those highlights and his style(number too) remind me a lot of Streveler.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    And whoever we have after a bye week.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                      That was what I thought of, when I read Celtic Cat's report. That's he's big and strong, and wants to run you over.

Hopefully we're ready to wrap up.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                        This also sums up how I have felt for every "big game" that didn't involve USD or NDSU.

For whatever reason, the team seems to come out flat at home in these games.
                        -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Agreed. Looks like we need to stack the box and limit him on the ground make him beat us with his arm. The nice thing about our secondary this year is that we should be able to put 8 guys in the box and trust them in 1 on 1 situations, especially against a QB like this. He's like Streveler, but I don't think he's near the passer that Streveler was. I like our odds this weekend, especially if we get them behind by a couple scores like we are known to do.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            Agreed. Looks like we need to stack the box and limit him on the ground make him beat us with his arm. The nice thing about our secondary this year is that we should be able to put 8 guys in the box and trust them in 1 on 1 situations, especially against a QB like this. He's like Streveler, but I don't think he's near the passer that Streveler was. I like our odds this weekend, especially if we get them behind by a couple scores like we are known to do.
                            Here is what worries me, Anderson is listed as a co-starter or at least as an or with another guy who is a QB position guy. We have little to no tape on him, I could see them both in the backfield. I just hope the D adjusts. Knowing we have already prepared for a Big 12 QB makes me a little more comfortable as does our back end D.

Comment

From what I understand, neither QB they could start is a huge passing threat. But neither was Murray last year until our game with him. So who knows??
                              Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 09-05-2018, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Here is what worries me, Anderson is listed as a co-starter or at least as an or with another guy who is a QB position guy. We have little to no tape on him, I could see them both in the backfield. I just hope the D adjusts. Knowing we have already prepared for a Big 12 QB makes me a little more comfortable as does our back end D.
                                Yeah, sounds like Anderson broke his left hand, but they're claiming he won't miss any time. I'll still be pretty comfortable considering the other guy is a redshirt freshman with no experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X