Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: @ Iowa State Whirly Birds

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
    I was taken aback by the mention of four losses as well.

I think USD, and possibly UNI, could be two other tough games, but I think the Jacks win those.

Not sure what to think of NDSU. I am incredibly biased because I'll always think they need to be knocked down a few pegs, and the Jacks will always be my perfect team to do it.
    I just don't see USD beating SDSU at home, next year could be a different story. UNI is a little concerning, but I just think that we have more depth and talent then they do at this point.

Just having TC makes us beetter than 75% of the MVFC. Part of me wonders how different the narrative would have been if SDSU had been the team to score first before the game was cancelled...
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
      I just don't see USD beating SDSU at home, next year could be a different story. UNI is a little concerning, but I just think that we have more depth and talent then they do at this point.

Just having TC makes us beetter than 75% of the MVFC. Part of me wonders how different the narrative would have been if SDSU had been the team to score first before the game was cancelled...
      The thing that makes me nervous about USD is that it's always late in season. There will inevitably be players who are injured (even if they are playing through it).

Comment

The thing that makes me nervous about USD is that it's always late in season. There will inevitably be players who are injured (even if they are playing through it).
        If we had caught Iowa State as flat as KState was, I am sure SDSU would have hung on for a win. USD could have put the game away, but did not. We will win in November. I watch it on ESpN3 after getting help with removing AD blockers.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          If we had caught Iowa State as flat as KState was, I am sure SDSU would have hung on for a win. USD could have put the game away, but did not. We will win in November. I watch it on ESpN3 after getting help with removing AD blockers.
          I'm not convinced the Jacks wouldn't have won yesterday. Their defense had a couple lapses, one of which resulted in the screen pass TD; however, it wasn't like they were down by multiple scores, and the offense was slated to get the ball back before the game delay.

We'll see how the MSU game goes, but I expect the Jacks force at least one turnover on defense, and the offense to get on track early to roll to at least a 10pt win.

Comment

I am now completely convinced that SDSU will never get a decent fan base for football until they relax the tailgating experience. Iowa State was awesome. I could go on and on about this, but the football games have to turn into an event. Until it does, the crowds will be lacking. The student fan base will never grow until things change.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              Is SDSU going to travel to Drake? Because they would also be giving up revenue from a home game. Otherwise we will have to pay them to come up here, and that cuts into the cash we made from ISU.
              Tyler asks Stig about scheduling another game at about the 2:15 mark of this video. Stig's response was that he'd like to find another game for the seniors. I understand the logic about Drake's hesitation due to a likely loss; however, I'd be curious if prospect of increased attendance due to a more noteworthy opponent might reduce that.

Comment

I'm not convinced the Jacks wouldn't have won yesterday. Their defense had a couple lapses, one of which resulted in the screen pass TD; however, it wasn't like they were down by multiple scores, and the offense was slated to get the ball back before the game delay.

We'll see how the MSU game goes, but I expect the Jacks force at least one turnover on defense, and the offense to get on track early to roll to at least a 10pt win.
                We have to catch these P5's when they are flat like Kstate was. Man for man we dont match up in terms of talent. It could happen to ISU and in which case we might have won. Kstate in the first half could not do anything right. Bill Synder had to be very disappointed. Enough to make him retire one more time.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  I am now completely convinced that SDSU will never get a decent fan base for football until they relax the tailgating experience. Iowa State was awesome. I could go on and on about this, but the football games have to turn into an event. Until it does, the crowds will be lacking. The student fan base will never grow until things change.
                  I 100% agree, our tailgating policy has been tightening the noose since they starting closing tailgating before the game(2008?) to force everyone into the stadium to increase attendance, and since then there has clashes with upd and students. When you force a young person to do anything your going to get some push back regardless of intoxication level.
                  Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Gojacks2487 View Post
                    I 100% agree, our tailgating policy has been tightening the noose since they starting closing tailgating before the game(2008?) to force everyone into the stadium to increase attendance, and since then there has clashes with upd and students. When you force a young person to do anything your going to get some push back regardless of intoxication level.
                    We have a thread to discuss tailgating . . . may I suggest taking that discussion there?
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

• Re: GDT: @ Iowa State Whirly Birds

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                      It's kind of simplistic maybe, but to me winning 7 out of 11 is better than winning 6-10.Doing the winning percentage math, it's 60% to a little over 63 %. If strength of schedule is about even, the nod probably goes to the team with one more win.
                      I think this year there might be a little to this. In most years, just because your winning % is little lower shouldn't mean much. The MVFC is the strongest league so you could struggle a little more. Youngstown State losing to Butler and Western Illinois losing to Montana State might hurt that.
                      I just hope SDSU not getting a game in before they play Montana State doesn't hurt them since it will be their first game.
                      There might be some people who just go by numbers but you hope most people would be more objective when they select teams for the playoffs.

I would discuss the Iowa State game but I missed the few minutes of the game that were played and the sample size was too small to have a objective opinion (for me).

Comment

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
                        I think this year there might be a little to this. In most years, just because your winning % is little lower shouldn't mean much. The MVFC is the strongest league so you could struggle a little more. Youngstown State losing to Butler and Western Illinois losing to Montana State might hurt that.
                        I just hope SDSU not getting a game in before they play Montana State doesn't hurt them since it will be their first game.
                        There might be some people who just go by numbers but you hope most people would be more objective when they select teams for the playoffs.

I would discuss the Iowa State game but I missed the few minutes of the game that were played and the sample size was too small to have a objective opinion (for me).
                        The thing is, if we're realistic about it we probably weren't going to win that game anyway, so we would have needed to win 7 games to make sure we get in the playoffs anyway. They're not going to leave a 7 win MVFC team out of the playoffs, no matter whether they're 7-3 or 7-4. If this team can only muster a 6-4 record, I'll guarantee you we weren't winning against Iowa State this year, so again it doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                          The thing is, if we're realistic about it we probably weren't going to win that game anyway, so we would have needed to win 7 games to make sure we get in the playoffs anyway. They're not going to leave a 7 win MVFC team out of the playoffs, no matter whether they're 7-3 or 7-4. If this team can only muster a 6-4 record, I'll guarantee you we weren't winning against Iowa State this year, so again it doesn't matter.
                          I've been thinking lots about this. We probably had a 5-10% chance of winning. The game getting cancelled is a near best case scenario.

PROS:
                          $425,000 in the bank
                          No injuries
                          One less (likely) loss
                          New players get a chance to experience travel and game day preparation
                          Didn't put much on tape for Montana State

CONS:
                          One less (possible) victory towards playoffs.
                          Hard to self-scout without actual game footage.
                          Didn't get a chance to try out new offensive game plan.
                          Limited game reps for new starters and contributors

I hope they get something scheduled but I'm losing hope as the days drag on. Drake would be ideal as it is regional and a D1 win.
                          Last edited by WestSideRabbit; 09-04-2018, 03:14 PM.
                          Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                            I've been thinking lots about this. We probably had a 5-10% chance of winning. The game getting cancelled is a near best case scenario.

PROS:
                            $425,000 in the bank
                            No injuries
                            One less (likely) loss
                            New players get a chance to experience travel and game day preparation
                            Didn't put much on tape for Montana State

CONS:
                            One less (possible) victory towards playoffs.
                            Hard to self-scout without actual game footage.
                            Didn't get a chance to try out new offensive game plan.
                            Limited game reps for new starters and contributors

I hope they get something scheduled but I'm losing hope as the days drag on. Drake would be ideal as it is regional and an D1 win.
                            I agree with everything except for the bolded statement. You don't know that for sure... See Youngstown State.

Comment

could not agree more. My friends were just talking about this on Monday after being in Ames and having been many other places to tailgate including usd where they are allowed to stay in the tailgate area for the game. The other thing our policy police need to figure out is re-entry if for no other reason than what if I need to go get more clothes we are in an outdoor stadium in a cold weather climate and I go to games to watch football and don't drink.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu2000 View Post
                                could not agree more. My friends were just talking about this on Monday after being in Ames and having been many other places to tailgate including usd where they are allowed to stay in the tailgate area for the game. The other thing our policy police need to figure out is re-entry if for no other reason than what if I need to go get more clothes we are in an outdoor stadium in a cold weather climate and I go to games to watch football and don't drink.
                                Re-entry would be a nice perk for a season ticket holder.
                                Go Big Go Blue ..... Go Jacks

Comment

Working...
                                X