GDT: @ Iowa State Whirly Birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: @ Iowa State Whirly Birds

Honestly, playing one series on O and D and then getting the game cancelled is probably the worst outcome we could get. Even getting blown out (or just playing a full half) gives you lots to learn from and correct. Instead, we now get to work out all those first game kinks against an FCS squad that has an lot more bearing on our post season hopes than ISU. Oh, and that MSU team has an extra long week to prepare for us. The only good news is that the bobcats will have no film on us...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
      Honestly, playing one series on O and D and then getting the game cancelled is probably the worst outcome we could get. Even getting blown out (or just playing a full half) gives you lots to learn from and correct. Instead, we now get to work out all those first game kinks against an FCS squad that has an lot more bearing on our post season hopes than ISU. Oh, and that MSU team has an lot extra long week to prepare for us. The only good news is that the bobcats will have no film on us...
      The Jacks got their $425k guarantee, are injury-free, and will have their first game that counts in front of their home fans. Maybe the concerns you raised will impact the game, but one could also say that MSU not having much film on offense OR defense to game plan for the Jacks is more impactful.

Comment

I wonder how the cancellation affects the new redshirt rule. I assume this would still count as one game for Blake Kunz?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
          The Jacks got their $425k guarantee, are injury-free, and will have their first game that counts in front of their home fans. Maybe the concerns you raised will impact the game, but one could also say that MSU not having much film on offense OR defense to game plan for the Jacks is more impactful.
          If this is a top 5 team, we shouldn't need a "tune up" game to beat MSU.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Project-Badass View Post
            I wonder how the cancellation affects the new redshirt rule. I assume this would still count as one game for Blake Kunz?
            When the game is canceled you would think that none of the stats count. I believe that's the way it is in baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              If this is a top 5 team, we shouldn't need a "tune up" game to beat MSU.
              Yeah, I was basically saying the opposite.

MSU surrendered 153 rushing yards to the Leathernecks at home, and the Jacks seemingly have more weapons on offense, including a more mobile quarterback, than WIU, and the game's in Brookings, so I guess I'm more optimistic than some.

Comment

Apparently the suspension for the Iowa State players count and they will be playing next week lol

Comment

Not sure why the game couldn't have been played tomorrow. Nebraska rescheduled their's for noon tomorrow. Iowa State could regret not playing if they would end up a win short of being bowl eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    Not sure why the game couldn't have been played tomorrow. Nebraska rescheduled their's for noon tomorrow. Iowa State could regret not playing if they would end up a win short of being bowl eligible.
                    One less day to prepare for next week’s showdown with Iowa.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      One less day to prepare for next week’s showdown with Iowa.
                      It is their super bowl. Need as much time as they can get for that.

Comment

Top 5 team or not, everyone needs that first game to start improving. If every team supposedly improves most from game 1 to game 2, we're probably not coming in as polished next week as we could be. No injuries injuries is a good thing... That's about it. I'd rather we had some game experience to build on.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Nebraska apparently changed their mind. Now the game has been cancelled.

Comment

What I'm wondering is how this will help/hurt playoffs. If we win 7 games, it's probably a non issue. But what if we go 6-4?? Only six wins, but we would have a better win percentage than every 6-5 team in the nation. Did the ither 6-5 teams plat an FBS? Obviously, it would depend on who we beat, and who they beat. But that would be a very unique situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                              What I'm wondering is how this will help/hurt playoffs. If we win 7 games, it's probably a non issue. But what if we go 6-4?? Only six wins, but we would have a better win percentage than every 6-5 team in the nation. Did the ither 6-5 teams plat an FBS? Obviously, it would depend on who we beat, and who they beat. But that would be a very unique situation.
                              If we don’t win 7 games we don’t deserve to be in the playoffs.

Comment

I'll take making the playoffs any day of the week over sitting out, no matter what we "deserve". And seeing as how there is a recent history of 6-5 teams making the field, I think it's a relevant question: What happens if the Jacks go 6-4? Every 7-4 team in America will have the same number of losses as us. But will we be penalized for not having the 11th game on the schedule when it comes time to decide? What if we go 8-2? Should we be seeded ahead of an 8-3 team that played an all FCS schedule? Or a 9-2 team with no FBS game? Point being, this cancellation is going to come into play in some shape or form in November.

Comment

Working...
                                X