Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GDT: @ Iowa State Whirly Birds

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
    I'll take making the playoffs any day of the week over sitting out, no matter what we "deserve". And seeing as how there is a recent history of 6-5 teams making the field, I think it's a relevant question: What happens if the Jacks go 6-4? Every 7-4 team in America will have the same number of losses as us. But will we be penalized for not having the 11th game on the schedule when it comes time to decide? What if we go 8-2? Should we be seeded ahead of an 8-3 team that played an all FCS schedule? Or a 9-2 team with no FBS game? Point being, this cancellation is going to come into play in some shape or form in November.
    If we finish 6-4 without this game we would likely be 6-5 with it. If we take care of business we make the playoffs. If not we won’t. This is like arguing about NCAA b-ball tourney bubble teams in mid-November.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Not sure why the game couldn't have been played tomorrow. Nebraska rescheduled their's for noon tomorrow. Iowa State could regret not playing if they would end up a win short of being bowl eligible.
      Here are the reasons:
      1. It is still supposed to rain all day tomorrow as we have a minimum of 30% chance of rain every hour from 10 am to midnight with most hours being over 50%
      2. Lack of accommodations. ISU fans have Ames hotels booked tonight so no where for SDSU to stay overnight unless they make some makeshift sleeping area which is not fair to SDSU
      3. It would cut into prep time for next weeks game for both teams as any time spent on football tomorrow would count towards this week's allotment of football hours.

Sucks that the game was cancelled but it is still raining here in central Iowa as I type.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        If we don’t win 7 games we don’t deserve to be in the playoffs.
        Precisely put, rep pts given.
        Last edited by Nidaros; 09-02-2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
          If we finish 6-4 without this game we would likely be 6-5 with it. If we take care of business we make the playoffs. If not we won’t. This is like arguing about NCAA b-ball tourney bubble teams in mid-November.
          Agreed, I do not think the committee will look at this and say but they didn’t play an 11th game, no playoffs. Maybe they would if we didn’t have 6 straight years of making them. No reason we shouldn’t be 8-2 or at worst 7-3 at the end. I firmly believe we could be 9-1. Just can’t afford to have that stinker game.

Sucks that we didnt get to see them really play but I think we win out in this scenario. No L in what likely would’ve been, no injuries that I know of, still got paid $425k, still went through all the prep for an up and coming FBS program(only helps getting ready for NDSU), the guys are even more hungry for the home opener.

Side note, the Bison rushing attack looks to be all that and more. Realistically speaking they could have 3 times as many rushing yards as passing yards. It’ll be interesting to see how anyone tries to slow them down let alone stop them.

Comment

About the game as little as it was, on the third and 12 play I think maybe,....easy as it is to second guess after the fact, that we were probably a little over aggressive on one tackle and it cost us. I'd like to see a re-play to be sure, but from what I remember, after the tackle was missed, there was a wide open lane up the middle with blockers downfield. That's a perfect combo of circumstances for their stud runner. Every tackle is important obviously. Not to harp too much on that, but I think the problem was also attributed to the DL unable to shed their blockers on that play and look for the ball carrier. I hate it when D- lineman get too involved in the one on one battle with their blocker and block out everything else. I've seen running backs run right by D- lineman too focussed and engaged with his blocker and not enough on what else is going on. Not having played football myself maybe it's much more difficult than I think to do that. NFL d-linemen are much better at this it seems, of course they are generally much better at everything than your typical college D -lineman. It's also a great way to maybe get a holding call and bringing the whole play back or getting the 15 yd penalty. Any thoughts? There's very little of anything else to discuss on this game,it was so short.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-02-2018, 08:12 AM.

Comment

I'll take making the playoffs any day of the week over sitting out, no matter what we "deserve". And seeing as how there is a recent history of 6-5 teams making the field, I think it's a relevant question: What happens if the Jacks go 6-4? Every 7-4 team in America will have the same number of losses as us. But will we be penalized for not having the 11th game on the schedule when it comes time to decide? What if we go 8-2? Should we be seeded ahead of an 8-3 team that played an all FCS schedule? Or a 9-2 team with no FBS game? Point being, this cancellation is going to come into play in some shape or form in November.
              It's kind of simplistic maybe, but to me winning 7 out of 11 is better than winning 6-10.Doing the winning percentage math, it's 60% to a little over 63 %. If strength of schedule is about even, the nod probably goes to the team with one more win.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                It's kind of simplistic maybe, but to me winning 7 out of 11 is better than winning 6-10.Doing the winning percentage math, it's 60% to a little over 63 %. If strength of schedule is about even, the nod probably goes to the team with one more win.
                If we only win 6 games we do not deserve to be playing after November 17th, it’s that simple.

Comment

ISU mentions trying to find an opponent for their open date in Oct. WIU and the Jacks share an open date on 9/22. So I wonder if there's any thought to trying to schedule a game with them that day?

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post
                    ISU mentions trying to find an opponent for their open date in Oct. WIU and the Jacks share an open date on 9/22. So I wonder if there's any thought in trying to schedule a game with them that day?
                    I like that idea. Probably won't happen because WIU still has an 11 game schedule and that's their only bye week.

Comment

I like that idea. Probably won't happen because WIU still has an 11 game schedule and that's their only bye week.
                      Drake also has an open date on 9/22, and their game against William Jewell was also canceled.

Comment

Drake also has an open date on 9/22, and their game against William Jewell was also canceled.
                        That would work. I can't imagine Drake is thrilled with that swap though, as they'd be trading a game against a lower division opponent for a likely loss.

Comment

That would work. I can't imagine Drake is thrilled with that swap though, as they'd be trading a game against a lower division opponent for a likely loss.
                          Is SDSU going to travel to Drake? Because they would also be giving up revenue from a home game. Otherwise we will have to pay them to come up here, and that cuts into the cash we made from ISU.
                          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                            Is SDSU going to travel to Drake? Because they would also be giving up revenue from a home game. Otherwise we will have to pay them to come up here, and that cuts into the cash we made from ISU.
                            Much of that depends on whether the Jacks share the fears of some of the posters here that the lost game can be detrimental to playoff chances.

Maybe playing on a neutral site is an option? I've heard Sioux City is beautiful that time of year. Only joking, I realize the neutral site logistics would probably be too complicated at this juncture.

Comment

Much of that depends on whether the Jacks share the fears of some of the posters here that the lost game can be detrimental to playoff chances.

Maybe playing on a neutral site is an option? I've heard Sioux City is beautiful that time of year. Only joking, I realize the neutral site logistics would probably be too complicated at this juncture.
                              Nothing has changed from the beginning of the season. This team should win 8 games. NDSU/ISU-R are the only legit losses that SDSU should have on the resume (I think they will split these). The only time an FBS game comes into play is if the FCS team has won it and is on the bubble of the playoffs.

I am interested to hear what the losses are to those folks that think we'll go 6-4 are coming from?
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                                Nothing has changed from the beginning of the season. This team should win 8 games. NDSU/ISU-R are the only legit losses that SDSU should have on the resume (I think they will split these). The only time an FBS game comes into play is if the FCS team has won it and is on the bubble of the playoffs.

I am interested to hear what the losses are to those folks that think we'll go 6-4 are coming from?
                                I was taken aback by the mention of four losses as well.

I think USD, and possibly UNI, could be two other tough games, but I think the Jacks win those.

Not sure what to think of NDSU. I am incredibly biased because I'll always think they need to be knocked down a few pegs, and the Jacks will always be my perfect team to do it.

Comment

Working...
                                X