Game Week: @ Iowa State University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game Week: @ Iowa State University

It's officially game week, and it feels good to get this thread started. Who all is making the trip?

Let's get some predictions and discussion going.

I think if the Jacks win this game, it'll be based on the o line "finding themselves" in the pass protection. I think we'll be working the ground game alot, but with proper time, TC will be able to spread the ball around well. Under that scenario, I'll go Jacks over Cyclones 31-20.

If the above doesn't come to fruition, I don't see us being able to ground and pound a top 25 FBS team into a win. Our D should be very good and that will help, but I think we have to be able to move the ball down field on these guys. Without a good air attack this game, I'd go ISU 28-10 over the Jacks.

If the D isn't quite ready for the level of opponent we're facing out of the gate, I'd say ISU 38-17.

Not sure which one of those it'll be, but I think some combination of the first two. If the Jacks are within two scores and the D keeps it a low scoring game, I'll feel pretty good about the rest of the season.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 08-26-2018, 08:34 AM.

Re: Game Week: @ Iowa State University

I'll take the Jacks in a mild upset, 20-17. The Jacks' front seven needs to come through big time and keep the game close throughout, and the o-line needs to play well enough to pick up third and shorts.
    This space for lease.

Comment

I think that's a fair assessment. What type of offensive scheme is ISU running these days? I know we've been sub par in run D for the past couple of years, but it does sound like if the young, interior d line is coming into their own as reports have indicated, maybe run D will be the strength this year. If ISU is pass heavy, we have to get pressure somehow and get off the field. Our back 7 is rock solid. It comes down to how much our front 4 have improved. If we can stop the run, I'd say our chances for the upset go WAY up. Honestly, that statement pretty much applies to every game in the Valley we'll play this year, outside of SIU.

Comment

Lots of new starters in the first game of the year vs. one of the better FBS teams we've seen.... I'll take ISU 27-16.

Comment

Jacks haven't held an FBS team under 30 since 2010 vs UNL. If we hold ISU to under 30, I'd take that as a pretty decent sign for the D. I think the offense scoring over 17 would also be a good sign.

Comment

Game Week: @ Iowa State University

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
            Lots of new starters in the first game of the year vs. one of the better FBS teams we've seen.... I'll take ISU 27-16.
            I think this is pretty accurate and would be a promising sign. If this was the ISU of old I would expect a W but these guys seem to be on the rise. IF our D is as stout as some make it sound like, then we will have a chance. Honestly now that I’m thinking about it I would probably go with a score of 32-24 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I'll take ISU by 17 or so. I think our lines get worked.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Is the game going to be on anywhere?

Comment

Originally posted by Kastman4 View Post
                  Is the game going to be on anywhere?
                  I just called the 640 S. Highline Place BWW's location in Sioux Falls, and the manager indicated they would more than likely not show it, because it is only available via paid Cyclone.tv streaming service; however, I also contacted Mediacom's Customer Support via Twitter DM, and they said they can check availability if a subscriber contacts them and provides account number and city. They can be reached here.

I was only checking for general Mediacom availability to satisfy my own curiosity and to share the info. here, but I do not have Mediacom service, so I couldn't provide the required info.

Nevertheless, reports from 2008 indicate the game was available in Brookings last time Jacks played Cyclones.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    Jacks haven't held an FBS team under 30 since 2010 vs UNL. If we hold ISU to under 30, I'd take that as a pretty decent sign for the D. I think the offense scoring over 17 would also be a good sign.
                    Another factor is the Jacks' run game. ISU apparently has a decent OLB crew, but if this is another one of those games where their weak side LB "disappears" (as article mentioned he did twice last year -- one instance against Akron) the Jacks could have a chance of maintaining decent TOP.

Relatedly, at least one article cites run blocking as a weakness for ISU's OL the past two seasons, and if that were to continue, the Jacks could force ISU to attack Jacks' defensive strengths at LB and DB.

I think Jacks win on a FG in last minute.

Comment

Going, kind of a family reunion, lots of Jackrabbits and Cyclones in the fam.

Comment

Oh yeah and Jacks by a long FG at the end of the game.

Comment

For those in the Black Hills, I understand that the usual establishment will have the game on.
                          Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Going with a large group...ISU fans included.
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

ISU loads the box and stops the run. Jacks passing game is average on Saturday. 35-7 ISU

Comment

Working...
                              X