Game Week: @ Iowa State University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Game Week: @ Iowa State University

Heading to the game with an ISU fan, a UI/Hawkeye fan, and an UNI Panther fan.

ISU is better than past years. This year isn't a great year to catch them for an upset. 34-17ish for the Cyclones.

I definitely think the Jacks scare the Clones for the first half.
    Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
    -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

GAME WEEK!!!

I think our passing game will be a lot better than most are predicting and this team is as deep as it's ever been. Forecast as of now in Ames is a high of 80, I expect it to be high 70's at kickoff, partly cloudy. Should be a beautiful night for football. I think we have as good a chance as any year before to pull off the upset. I'll take the Jacks 31-27.

Sidenote, on the Cyclone fan site there is a report that an offshore betting site has the spread at -14. Seem right Cappin?

Comment

Making the trip to Ames Friday evening, going with about 15 or so from our normal tailgate crew, cant wait! I have heard some concerns on the side of the ISU fans that there may have been a significant injury late last week to a very significant player for ISU, just something I saw, no idea if it is true or not. Tough break for ISU and the kid if true.

As for a prediction, ill say 39-23 ISU (hoping for something like 27-24 SDSU)

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
          Sidenote, on the Cyclone fan site there is a report that an offshore betting site has the spread at -14. Seem right Cappin?

Spread is at 14. You can quadruple your money by taking the Jacks to win at +400 on the money line. The total is at 53.5 (which I think is low and will go over).

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
            ISU loads the box and stops the run. Jacks passing game is average on Saturday. 35-7 ISU
            You think all we're going to muster is 7 points? I mean I'm not surprised, but I think that's a bit overly pessimistic, even for you.

I think we're going to have the most trouble stopping their run game. I expect some errors to be made on defense and probably special teams that will lead to a score or two that shouldn't have been. I also expect that our passing game is better than most people expect it to be. I can see Christion using his feet a lot (predicting over 100 rushing yards for TC). I'm going to go with a 35-31 victory for the Jacks.

Comment

One thing I just noticed that could become a factor is that Iowa State's 2nd game is basically their super bowl for the year... @ Iowa. I'm sure the coaches know who SDSU is and are preaching that we can't be overlooked, but I'll guarantee you plenty of kids on that team are already looking ahead to Sept. 8th.

Comment

Hey guys, ISU fan here. Just thought I'd stop by and give a quick rundown of the ISU team.

The defense should be pretty good, near the top of the Big 12. Anchored by the DL. Ray Lima is a force in the middle and had to be double teamed by nearly everybody last season. This website ranked ISU's DL as #1 in the Big 12. https://www.heartlandcollegesports.c...efensive-line/
                The DL really elevate the level of some really talented LB's and veteran CB's.
                The offense should also be good, but the position group really holding back the unit is the OL. It sounds like they are probably 1 more year away from being where the staff wants them to be.
                The RB, David Montgomery, is the star of the offense. He is a Junior and will probably leave after this season for the draft. Some boards have him going in the first round. Last year he smashed the NCAA record for most broken tackles. He won't necessarily blow by you in the open field, but he will run over you.
                The #1 WR is 6'6" Hakeem Butler. Very long and athletic.
                The QB, Kyle Kempt, was granted a 6th season of eligibility. He's got a really cool story, from being a walkon at a few different schools, to coming to ISU and knocking off 2 top-5 teams last year, Oklahoma and TCU.
                He doesn't win by making moves on his feet or throwing deep downfield, but he's really smart and doesn't make many mistakes.
                The offense's level of success really depends on the OL. All the tools are in place, they're just waiting on the OL to develop.
                I think most realistic fans are thinking 7-8 regular season wins, with a shot at 9 if they can get through Sept with no more than 2 losses.
                As for the rumor of the significant injury to a player in fall camp, that was just a rumor. Everybody made it through camp without any major injuries.
                Game prediction: SDSU hangs for the first half and then ISU pulls away in the 2nd. ISU wins 38-20
                Hopefully a lot of you can make it down for some great tailgating. The weather looks a little questionable at the moment.
                I remember when SDSU came to Ames in 2008ish, I was a student back then and drank a beer with a couple of people from this board. Can't remember who..
                ISU is historically exceptional at all things tailgating. Decades of losing football breeds decades of heavy drinking and tailgating.
                The beer will be flowing as far as the eye can see. The crowd and atmosphere should be great, hopefully 60,000+.

PS: I've been cheering for SDSU basketball ever since TJ took over. I know a lot of ISU fans were bummed when he left and some wanted him to get the head job after Hoiberg left for the Bulls.
                I also enjoyed watched Daum play.

Comment

Anybody looking for a room sat?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kastman4 View Post
                    Is the game going to be on anywhere?
                    If you are near a big city you can construct a web search to see if the Cyclones have a watch party near you and invite yourself to join. For example, my daughter in Texas has close friends who are Cyclones fans sometimes attend the regular watch parties at Big Daddy's in Austin.
                    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

https://twitter.com/kccitabbert/stat...272129024?s=12

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        https://twitter.com/kccitabbert/stat...272129024?s=12

They have 5 players suspended? Oh my....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          They have 5 players suspended? Oh my....

4 freshman that were being knuckleheads and the coach is trying to set the tone with them fast.
                          The other is a DL and got an OWI back in January, so it was expected. He isn’t a starter, but would have gotten some PT in this game.

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                            4 freshman that were being knuckleheads and the coach is trying to set the tone with them fast.
                            The other is a DL and got an OWI back in January, so it was expected. He isn’t a starter, but would have gotten some PT in this game.
                            Glad to hear it shouldn’t have much of an effect on the game.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by cydave View Post
                              Hey guys, ISU fan here. Just thought I'd stop by and give a quick rundown of the ISU team. ...
                              Thanks for the rundown, Cydave. It's fun for the Jacks to be playing a good regional team.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Thanks for stopping by cydave and giving us a run down.

This is a pretty simple game, just like anytime we play a good team. If our o and d lines hold their own we will be in the game. If they don't we will get blown out. I'm thinking we will hold our own for a half to 3 quarters and then their depth will just wear us down. Something close to 35-20 cyclones

Comment

Working...
                                X