Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: New conference

  1. #1

    Default New conference

    Does anybody feel like we should complete in a conference where the institutions have fan bases who actually care? In our current leagues, it seems like the Jacks and Bison are the only teams who fall into this category. USD cares, but only when they’re playing us down in Vermillion. I would love to be in a conference that looks something like this:

    SDSU
    USD
    NDSU
    UND
    Montana
    Montana St.
    Idaho
    Idaho St.
    New Mexico State is playing as an FBS independent. Perhaps they’d be interested in joining.

    What do these schools have in common? Yes, they all have football teams. In addition, none of their names start with Northern, Southern, Eastern, or Western. For the most part, very few of these so-called “directional schools” have engaged fan bases. Last year’s non-conference football game at Montana St. seemed almost perfect. It was a sellout crowd between two land grant universities from the same region of America. It was a polar opposite atmosphere of most other places we play at in the MVFC or Summit League where high school-sized crowds seem to be the norm.

    You might ask, “Why would you want to play in front of hostile crowds? Wouldn’t that mean a greater chance of losing?” Although there’s truth in that statement, that’s not how rivalries are created. It’s hard to have rivalries when most of our opponents’ fans don’t care. If we had more regional rivalries, I’m convinced we’d draw more fans to Dana J and Frost.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Worthington,MN
    Posts
    5,083

    Default Re: New conference

    I think that a big advantage of being in the Valley for football and the Summit for BB is that we are now playing games in many of the prime areas we draw recruits from. Not sure that trading Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri for Montana and Idaho would be a good trade-off. Plus, I remember the Great West days of games starting at 9:00, which I definitely wasn't a fan of, and which also doesn't increase our exposure in the main areas we recruit.
    Last edited by bigticket1; 08-19-2018 at 12:11 PM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: New conference

    Generally, I agree with the premise that we should be surrounding ourselves with other large, state landgrants that play FCS. But the recruiting point is a fair one. One difference between the Great West then and this western league now is that all 4 Dakotas were not in the Great west at that time. They would be now. We currently don't recruit Ohio and Indiana much with our existing league, so we wouldn't lose much there. Illinois/Iowa/Missouri is a little different.

    The best case scenario in my mind would be an all sports league with the MVFC, minus YSU. It won't happen though, barring some big shifts.

    My next preference would be to play in a conference similar to the one listed above. Also won't happen, because those western schools have no real incentive to do so.

    For the record though, I am firmly in the camp that given a chance for something better, we need to get out of the summit.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Huron, South Dakota
    Posts
    3,132

    Default Re: New conference

    Quote Originally Posted by my view View Post
    Does anybody feel like we should complete in a conference where the institutions have fan bases who actually care? In our current leagues, it seems like the Jacks and Bison are the only teams who fall into this category. USD cares, but only when they’re playing us down in Vermillion. I would love to be in a conference that looks something like this:

    SDSU
    USD
    NDSU
    UND
    Montana
    Montana St.
    Idaho
    Idaho St.
    New Mexico State is playing as an FBS independent. Perhaps they’d be interested in joining.

    What do these schools have in common? Yes, they all have football teams. In addition, none of their names start with Northern, Southern, Eastern, or Western. For the most part, very few of these so-called “directional schools” have engaged fan bases. Last year’s non-conference football game at Montana St. seemed almost perfect. It was a sellout crowd between two land grant universities from the same region of America. It was a polar opposite atmosphere of most other places we play at in the MVFC or Summit League where high school-sized crowds seem to be the norm.

    You might ask, “Why would you want to play in front of hostile crowds? Wouldn’t that mean a greater chance of losing?” Although there’s truth in that statement, that’s not how rivalries are created. It’s hard to have rivalries when most of our opponents’ fans don’t care. If we had more regional rivalries, I’m convinced we’d draw more fans to Dana J and Frost.
    Perhaps we should focus on getting every SDSU game to the point of being a sellout before we start casting stones. I understand what you are saying, but we have a lot of work to do in-house first.
    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Lee's Summit, MO
    Posts
    11,682

    Default Re: New conference

    The ideal conference for SDSU IMHO would be an all-sports version of the MVFC.

    Lots of farirly improbable things would need to occur for that to happen however.
    "I think we'll be OK"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4,506

    Default Re: New conference

    Quote Originally Posted by SoDakJack View Post
    Perhaps we should focus on getting every SDSU game to the point of being a sellout before we start casting stones. I understand what you are saying, but we have a lot of work to do in-house first.
    This and dont get me started on late season football and playoff attendance again.

  7. #7

    Default Re: New conference

    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    The ideal conference for SDSU IMHO would be an all-sports version of the MVFC.

    Lots of farirly improbable things would need to occur for that to happen however.
    I guess I would be on the opposite side of the fence on this one. Wrestling would suffer if we went to a conference such as that one. IMO we need to be in the best conference per sport. If we were FBS football and a high major I can see one conference working but with our current situation I just don't see it.

  8. #8

    Default Re: New conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Justwin View Post
    I guess I would be on the opposite side of the fence on this one. Wrestling would suffer if we went to a conference such as that one. IMO we need to be in the best conference per sport. If we were FBS football and a high major I can see one conference working but with our current situation I just don't see it.
    No worries. We’d stay in Big 12 for wrestling.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,042

    Default Re: New conference

    Quote Originally Posted by filbert View Post
    The ideal conference for SDSU IMHO would be an all-sports version of the MVFC.

    Lots of farirly improbable things would need to occur for that to happen however.
    This is my preferred option. I'll think we'll get there some day.
    This space for lease.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    1,646

    Default Re: New conference

    Quote Originally Posted by Jacked_Up View Post
    This is my preferred option. I'll think we'll get there some day.
    Zero percent chance that ever happens, zero percent chance the opening post dream conference happens, and zero percent chance chance of us ever enticing UNI/Montana/Montana State/Illinois State to the Summit while were at it. An all sports version of the MVFC would mean that 100% of the schools would have to sign on to dropping half their conference to join it while the MVC schools might be signing up to lose some NCAA tourney money, on top of somehow convincing the eastern teams to send their Olympic sports to each Dakota school in every sport every year when they won’t even agree to send their football teams every other year? I want some of what y’all are smoking. Don’t even get me started on the “the Montana’s and Idaho’s will joint is because they don’t have a direction in their name” stuff.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •