X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Canada Trip - Day 3: Ottawa

Link to stream:
    https://portal.stretchinternet.com/o...reamType=video
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Re: Canada Trip - Day 3: Ottawa

Ariens gets the start along with Key, Jenkins, Flatten, and Daum.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

18-17 Jacks at the end of the first quarter.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Can we get slightly-heavier Daum back? This skinny imposter is not helping at all!

Seriously, I’m glad he has 3 more months to work on whatever he’s trying to do.

Comment

42-40 Ottawa with the halftime lead after making a 3 at the buzzer.

Needless to say, we're not playing great.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

Down 40-42 at half but looking better than in first game. Daum double figures but spotty.

Comment

9-0 run to start the half for SDSU. Ran a few quick sets and had some nice ball movement. That looked more like Jackrabbit basketball.
              - Steven Wright

Comment

66-59 Jacks at the end of the 3rd.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

93-77 Final. Jacks win.
                  - Steven Wright

Comment

Looks like Carleton is the perennial national champion for a reason. Dominant program for a reason. As good as any top tier NCAA program. Can't say that about the rest of em. More like D2.

Comment

Canada Trip - Day 3: Ottawa

That second half was decent. Some flashes of what could be, anyway. Ottawa is not a power team like we’ll see again tomorrow but we also had at least two freshman on floor most of the game. Also, Ol Miss only beat these guys by 11.

A few observations after seeing two of the three games:

In spite of not playing the first game, Krueger looks like he might be a contributor this year. Arians and (definitely) King too. King was playing high school ball just a few months ago - big potential. Dillon looks like he’s going to need some time to get there, especially on defense. Flatten again looked like he might have stepped things up a notch from last year.

Daum seemed to be finding his shot a bit tonight. We’re a whole lot easier to defend when he is shooting like he did the first two games. There’s no doubt he looks quicker defensively, especially shot blocking.

It was fun getting a preview of the young guys and I’m sure this trip will help. Its definitely better than playing four bad teams.

Comment

My thoughts after watching 2 of the 3 games:

With the talent we bring back this year, it's easy to overlook what we lost. Losing 3 seniors from last year's team (even if only one of them was a starter) and filling their spots with incoming red shirt and true freshmen is much more than a "plug and play" kind of deal. I'm guilty as anyone of having too high of expectations for kids that haven't played a minute of college ball yet, even though I know better. The fact that Tevin King sat out due to injury didn't help the matter either.

Daum, Flatten, Jenkins, and Key all had their ups and downs. There were some rumblings that Mike lost too much weight, but I thought there was a noticeable difference in his quickness and the speed in which he got off the floor. Though Daum played poor offensively by his standards, it wasn't like he was getting pushed around or anything like that. The Dauminator will be better off in the long run because of his weight loss, not worse. Flatten probably played the best all-around of any Jackrabbit. Jenkins is still a bit streaky but dynamite when he's in rhythm. Key was always aggressive on both ends of the floor and the volume of opportunities he creates for himself and his teammates far outweigh his negative plays. There shouldn't be any worry about these guys, as we played pretty good ball when they were all on the floor together.

Alex Ariens seems to be the farthest ahead mentally out of all the freshman and the offensive flow was the best when he was the one accompanying the four veterans. He has good instincts and wasn't playing timid. Out of the newcomers, Ariens appears as though he'll be ready to contribute the most at the start of the season.

Owen King struggled but showed a flash here and there. He was playing high school ball 6 months ago, so it's not really indicative of his future and I think he'll be fine. He'll probably benefit more from this trip than anyone else.

Alou Dillon looks huge but doesn't seem comfortable out there yet. At first I wondered if he lost some agility when he added more size, but then he'd have a really athletic block or rebound. His lapses, particular on the defensive end, likely had more to do with him being out of position than being too slow. I wouldn't expect too much offense out of him this year, but if he can spell Daum for 8-10 minutes a game with just rebounding and keeping opposing posts off the block, he'll be valuable.

Ryan Krueger has a really sweet looking shot and may carve out a role on this year's team if he can shore up other aspects of his game. He needs to have the same shooters mentality while playing with the veterans as he did in garbage time of this last game.

Matt Dentlinger hasn't played much and I'd say he'll like spend the year preparing for a role post-Daum.

I'm guessing Matt Mims and Aaron Fiegen will redshirt seeing that they haven't seen the floor much either.

Michael Carter III didn't play in this last game, but I really liked what I saw in game 1. He's going to be good, but will have to sit this upcoming season due to transfer rules.

Let's hope the team puts up a better fight in their rematch against Carleton and more importantly, stays healthy. Season is still a long ways away, so the team will likely look way different when October roles around.
                        Last edited by Kemo; 08-12-2018, 03:38 AM.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                          My thoughts after watching 2 of the 3 games:

With the talent we bring back this year, it's easy to overlook what we lost. Losing 3 seniors from last year's team (even if only one of them was a starter) and filling their spots with incoming red shirt and true freshmen is much more than a "plug and play" kind of deal. I'm guilty as anyone of having too high of expectations for kids that haven't played a minute of college ball yet, even though I know better. The fact that Tevin King sat out due to injury didn't help the matter either.

Daum, Flatten, Jenkins, and Key all had their ups and downs. There were some rumblings that Mike lost too much weight, but I thought there was a noticeable difference in his quickness and the speed in which he got off the floor. Though Daum played poor offensively by his standards, it wasn't like he was getting pushed around or anything like that. The Dauminator will be better off in the long run because of his weight loss, not worse. Flatten probably played the best all-around of any Jackrabbit. Jenkins is still a bit streaky but dynamite when he's in rhythm. Key was always aggressive on both ends of the floor and the volume of opportunities he creates for himself and his teammates far outweigh his negative plays. There shouldn't be any worry about these guys, as we played pretty good ball when they were all on the floor together.

Alex Ariens seems to be the farthest ahead mentally out of all the freshman and the offensive flow was the best when he was the one accompanying the four veterans. He has good instincts and wasn't playing timid. Out of the newcomers, Ariens appears as though he'll be ready to contribute the most at the start of the season.

Owen King struggled but showed a flash here and there. He was playing high school ball 6 months ago, so it's not really indicative of his future and I think he'll be fine. He'll probably benefit more from this trip than anyone else.

Alou Dillon looks huge but doesn't seem comfortable out there yet. At first I wondered if he lost some agility when he added more size, but then he'd have a really athletic block or rebound. His lapses, particular on the defensive end, likely had more to do with him being out of position than being too slow. I wouldn't expect too much offense out of him this year, but if he can spell Daum for 8-10 minutes a game with just rebounding and keeping opposing posts off the block, he'll be valuable.

Ryan Krueger has a really sweet looking shot and may carve out a role on this year's team if he can shore up other aspects of his game. He needs to have the same shooters mentality while playing with the veterans as he did in garbage time of this last game.

Matt Dentlinger hasn't played much and I'd say he'll like spend the year preparing for a role post-Daum.

I'm guessing Matt Mims and Aaron Fiegen will redshirt seeing that they haven't seen the floor much either.

Michael Carter III didn't play in this last game, but I really liked what I saw in game 1. He's going to be good, but will have to sit this upcoming season due to transfer rules.

Let's hope the team puts up a better fight in their rematch against Carleton and more importantly, stays healthy. Season is still a long ways away, so the team will likely look way different when October roles around.
                          My thoughts are unchanged. I think we win the conference and conference tournament and go back to the Big Dance.Unless are two bigs behind Daum grow up in a hurry I dont think we have the horses to do damage in the tournament. I think a missed opportunity to add another piece or two for Daums senior year to maximize this season. For most mid-majors the above success is enough. Either way will be entertaining year!

Comment

Working...
                          X