Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Canada Trip

Default Re: Canada Trip

Skinny Dome is just fine. Probably just needed a sandwich!

As far as I saw, Dillon and Arians were the only two RSFr to play in the first half. Owen King looks right at home out there. Key could cut back on the showboating. Flatten looks like a tenth-year senior. Canada could widen their courts a little (cost us 4 turnovers on passes to an open shooter in the corner!).

It’s hard to take much from 20 minutes of August basketball but by the end of the third game things should be a little more polished.

37-33 Jacks at halftime.

As a team, we just haven't looked in sync at all. We've stepped on the out of bounds line 4 times on wide open corner 3's (apparently the dimensions are different, I think there is less room between the out-of-bounds and the 3 point line). We probably won't lose because we're just way more athletic than them, but if we keep playing unsound basketball, we'll give them a chance.

Some individual observations:

Flatten was the best player by far in the first half.

Daum didn't look good offensively, but defensively he really protected the rim well. Physically, he looks like a different player. Really does look more athletic out there.

Michael Carter III is very quick and bouncy. You can see why he started out at Washington.

The freshmen have looked just like that, for the most part.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

55-46 Jacks at the end of 3.

Better, but still looks like August ball.
    - Steven Wright

Daum is...off. Looks like he tweaked his shot to speed up his release.
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

I guess it's a win but what an ugly disconcerting game.

Default Canada Trip

Though still not pretty, things did get better as the game went on.

Flatten was the only one who looked relatively sharp. It might have helped to have TK but that would have come at the expense of good minutes for Owen King. These games are probably pretty valuable for the freshmen.

I wish Carter could play this season. He looks like he could be a handful in the Summit. Very athletic.

I was hoping to see more out of Dillon. He looked a little timid but had a great block in the 4th.

Tomorrow they’ll have to be much better or they’ll get smoked.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    I guess it's a win but what an ugly disconcerting game.
    Ugly yes, but pretty early in the process to be disconcerting considering it's over 3 months until the season starts and a number of players were seeing their first college action.

76-69. Jacks win.

Never trailed the entire game, but never pulled away like we should have. We need to clean things up or we'll get clubbed against a really good opponent tomorrow.

Flatten was the best player on the court all game. Key was pretty good overall with a few exceptions. Jenkins struggled most the game but picked it up late.

Daum shot like he was playing in a dome. Pretty poor offensive game by his standards, but he didn't seem to be on the same page with his teammates when the double teams came. I don't think any of this had to do with his leaner frame. His defense and rebounding looked improved, as he seemed to get off the floor quicker and move better laterally. Skinny Daum will be a boon once he gets into rhythm.

Tevin King would have definitely helped, but his absence did afford more PT for others.

Owen King looked okay, playing to an acceptable level for his first unofficial collegiate game.

Alou Dillion looks huge out there and seems to be adjusting to his new size. Seemed a bit lumbering at times.

Alex Ariens kind of reminded me a bit of Brayden Carlson in his early career. Played hard on defense and tried to do the little things on offense.

I really like Michael Carter III's game. Wish he didn't have to sit this year.

Krueger or Dentlinger didn't see the floor, which was disappointing.
    - Steven Wright

Let's start a new thread for tomorrow. I don't want to have to revisit this game

Quote Originally Posted by bigticket1 View Post
    Ugly yes, but pretty early in the process to be disconcerting considering it's over 3 months until the season starts and a number of players were seeing their first college action.
    Disconcerting as in the physical surroundings reminded me of my grade school playing days in the Alpena gym. Maybe if the camera was on the other side. That big red wall drove me nuts. A reverse,but screwed with your mind twice as much as the Dakota Dome. Was that a standard sized court?