2018 FCS National Updates and Story Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 FCS National Updates and Story Lines

I think we have gotten to the point as a program that keeping an eye on the national FCS scene throughout the season will help give context to selection Sunday on November 18th, and provide a good running dialogue on the fun story lines of the FCS this season. With that, here are a few items I am very curious to see play out this fall:

1) Idaho's return to the FCS. The Vandals will rejoin the Big Sky in football this season, and I think it'll be interesting to see how they compete. They have 2 FBS games and a DII on the schedule, so they haven't scheduled well for getting to 7 qualifying wins, but I still think they could easily (and maybe should) win 5 Big Sky games this season. They renew their rivalry with Montana in the Battle for the Brown Stein (Idaho leads the series by a long shot, btw) in Moscow. I, for one, am rooting for the Vandals to have success because I think they have all the bones to be a "power" FCS program, and that's good for the FCS. More Flagship/Land grants in the FCS is a good thing, and my hope is that if Idaho does well at this level, it might entice a few other wannabe FBS schools like NMSU, UMass, etc. to consider dropping down. This would instantly add a lot of parity to the FCS, and I think that would be a good thing.

2)Delware: The Blue Hens probably got snubbed out of the playoffs last year, and they have a lot of hype this preseason. Can Rocco return them to their former glory? UD played in the 2010 championship game against EWU, but hasn't done much since. This is another traditionally strong program with a large fan base that the FCS needs to do well. We'll find out what kind of team they have when they take on the Bison in September.

3)Kennesaw State: A lot of hype surrounding the owls after their quick rise to prominence and good showing last year in the playoffs. Can they replicate that success?

4) After going 7-4 last year, EWU is a preseason top 10, and in some circles top 5 team. Persoanlly, I think that's a little too much hype, but it'll be interesting to see where they finish this year.

5) Who will win the Socon? Wofford, Samford, and Furman all have legit claims to being the favorite. UTC had a down year last year, but my guess is they rebound this fall.

6) Will the Montana schools return to glory this decade? If Montana state doesn't get it together this season, Choate is on the hot seat and likely gone after next fall if they don't make the playoffs by 2019. Bobby Hauck in Missoula is starting a new era there, and will have to make up a lot of lost ground in the next few seasons.

7) Is Weber State a contender this year? A very strong team last year, they didn't lose much off of their quarterfinal squad. But they have to get more dynamic on the offensive side of the ball. They take on the yotes in Spetember, and that's a huge game for both squads.

8) NCA&T vs JSU: NCA&T is always way overrrated, and is part of the SWAC-MEAC group that doesn't participate in playoffs with their champion. However, the HBCUs are always threatening to steal an at large bid with their #2 teams because of the gaudy records they put up against weak competition. JSU stomping a mud hole in them on national TV for the kickoff game would put an end to that talk.

9) Will anyone challenge JSU in the OVC? EIU has fallen off the map in the last 4 years, and I think it's unlikely to change this fall. Maybe Austin Peay?

10) Does JMU remain in the top 2 all season? The dukes lost a lot off of that defense, and I think it'll be interesting if they fully reload to remain the concensus #2 throughout the season.

Those are some items I think will be fun to watch. Feel free to comment on them, or add your own. I want to return to this thread though out the season for national score updates and discussion.

Re: 2018 FCS National Updates and Story Lines

Solid list of storylines to keep up with. I’m very intrigued by the NCA&T/JSU game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

After NC State in opener, does JMU really have a tough game until week 5?

Comment

Not really. William and Mary has been a solid program in years past, but I'm not sure they're up to the challenge. Week 5 vs Richmond, week 7 vs Nova, week 8 vs Stoney Brook, and week 9 @ UNH could cause a trip up.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
          Not really. William and Mary has been a solid program in years past, but I'm not sure they're up to the challenge. Week 5 vs Richmond, week 7 vs Nova, week 8 vs Stoney Brook, and week 9 @ UNH could cause a trip up.
          Hopefully by that point, Jacks have one more FBS win than them and are undefeated in FCS.

Comment

I think we have gotten to the point as a program that keeping an eye on the national FCS scene throughout the season will help give context to selection Sunday on November 18th, and provide a good running dialogue on the fun story lines of the FCS this season. With that, here are a few items I am very curious to see play out this fall:

1) Idaho's return to the FCS. The Vandals will rejoin the Big Sky in football this season, and I think it'll be interesting to see how they compete. They have 2 FBS games and a DII on the schedule, so they haven't scheduled well for getting to 7 qualifying wins, but I still think they could easily (and maybe should) win 5 Big Sky games this season. They renew their rivalry with Montana in the Battle for the Brown Stein (Idaho leads the series by a long shot, btw) in Moscow. I, for one, am rooting for the Vandals to have success because I think they have all the bones to be a "power" FCS program, and that's good for the FCS. More Flagship/Land grants in the FCS is a good thing, and my hope is that if Idaho does well at this level, it might entice a few other wannabe FBS schools like NMSU, UMass, etc. to consider dropping down. This would instantly add a lot of parity to the FCS, and I think that would be a good thing.

2)Delware: The Blue Hens probably got snubbed out of the playoffs last year, and they have a lot of hype this preseason. Can Rocco return them to their former glory? UD played in the 2010 championship game against EWU, but hasn't done much since. This is another traditionally strong program with a large fan base that the FCS needs to do well. We'll find out what kind of team they have when they take on the Bison in September.

3)Kennesaw State: A lot of hype surrounding the owls after their quick rise to prominence and good showing last year in the playoffs. Can they replicate that success?

4) After going 7-4 last year, EWU is a preseason top 10, and in some circles top 5 team. Persoanlly, I think that's a little too much hype, but it'll be interesting to see where they finish this year.

5) Who will win the Socon? Wofford, Samford, and Furman all have legit claims to being the favorite. UTC had a down year last year, but my guess is they rebound this fall.

6) Will the Montana schools return to glory this decade? If Montana state doesn't get it together this season, Choate is on the hot seat and likely gone after next fall if they don't make the playoffs by 2019. Bobby Hauck in Missoula is starting a new era there, and will have to make up a lot of lost ground in the next few seasons.

7) Is Weber State a contender this year? A very strong team last year, they didn't lose much off of their quarterfinal squad. But they have to get more dynamic on the offensive side of the ball. They take on the yotes in Spetember, and that's a huge game for both squads.

8) NCA&T vs JSU: NCA&T is always way overrrated, and is part of the SWAC-MEAC group that doesn't participate in playoffs with their champion. However, the HBCUs are always threatening to steal an at large bid with their #2 teams because of the gaudy records they put up against weak competition. JSU stomping a mud hole in them on national TV for the kickoff game would put an end to that talk.

9) Will anyone challenge JSU in the OVC? EIU has fallen off the map in the last 4 years, and I think it's unlikely to change this fall. Maybe Austin Peay?

10) Does JMU remain in the top 2 all season? The dukes lost a lot off of that defense, and I think it'll be interesting if they fully reload to remain the concensus #2 throughout the season.

Those are some items I think will be fun to watch. Feel free to comment on them, or add your own. I want to return to this thread though out the season for national score updates and discussion.
            Awesome list!
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

FYI, Item number 8 on the above list will be determined at 6 PM central time this Saturday on ESPN. I'd say that it's in the best interest of the Valley and the rest of the playoff participating FCS for JSU to stomp a mudhole in the A&T Aggies. We don't want them stealing an at large at the end of the year if they end up in second place in the MEAC. JSU is pretty much a lock at this point in the OVC, so I'd rather see them win and help open up a spot for another Valley/CAA/Big Sky team than have a potential bid stolen by the #2 MEAC.
              Last edited by Mr_Tibbs; 08-23-2018, 10:49 AM.

Comment

FYI, Item number 8 on the above list will be determined at 6 PM central time this Saturday on ESPN. I'd say that it's in the best interest of the Valley and the rest of the playoff participating FCS for JSU to stomp a mudhole in the A&T Aggies. We don't want them stealing an at large at the end of the year if they end up in second place in the MEAC. JSU is pretty much a lock at this point in the OVC, so I'd rather see them win and help open up a spot for another Valley/CAA/Big Sky team than have a potential bid stolen by the #2 MEAC.
                Thanks for the update on this. I have more interest in games if there is something that I am rooting for or against.

Comment

Personally, I would rather NCA&T win. I would like to see more good football teams in the FCS, and hopefully if they got in the playoffs and won it could get the HBCUs back into the playoffs. I think that would be more entertaining to me than another MVFC team in the playoffs, but that’s just me. It’s the same reason I want Idaho to become a strong program. More good teams causing some parody is fun to me.

I do agree with you that JSU beating them soundly would keep them out of an at large chance, and would help the MVFC this year. I also highly doubt NCA&T gets remotely challenged by any conference foes, or that the outcome of this game will change many minds on what they think of either team to be honest.

Comment

Anybody else going to be tuning in for the FCS opener like I am?

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                      Anybody else going to be tuning in for the FCS opener like I am?

I might, depending if I'm awake or not.

It'll be hard to get a grasp on how good either team is afterward due to both being decent-to-good teams in extremely poor conferences.
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

The JSU/A&T Game has been UGLY. JSU looks terribad right now. Ouch.

Comment

The JSU/A&T Game has been UGLY. JSU looks terribad right now. Ouch.

Snooze fest. So sloppy and ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                            Snooze fest. So sloppy and ugly.
                            Having this game at a neutral site has been a travesty as well. The whole thing honestly is making FCS look like DII at best to be honest. No fans (both draw well, AT HOME) audio was off by ten seconds at the start, and now this terrible play. SMH

Comment

Having this game at a neutral site has been a travesty as well. The whole thing honestly is making FCS look like DII at best to be honest. No fans (both draw well, AT HOME) audio was off by ten seconds at the start, and now this terrible play. SMH

Agree completely. Having these games at a neutral site defeats the purpose entirely. Play it on campus.

Comment

Working...
                              X