Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga territory?

Default Re: Gonzaga territory?

Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    You mean when we were in the NCC and played local schools on Saturday nights? Hmm... I wonder why we had higher attendance then.
    inhavent been the one on here blaming Frost have I

Quote Originally Posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    inhavent been the one on here blaming Frost have I
    I'm talking about things that can change our attendance in the present. No point in dwelling on how high attendance was back then. You said that you can't see how Frost is a limiting factor, I told you why it is.

OK-- I'll use that as a segue to making a suggestion that got me some abuse about six months ago.

Why are we playing NAIA schools? Face it, USF, Augie and Northern would at least bring in a few visitor fans. Something that Presentation or Concordia isn't going to do.

I realize that about once a decade or so, a disaster will happen and the Jacks will lose. I think Augustana took Iowa down in Augie's championship year. I saw Northwest Missouri play in their championship year and think they would have been in the top half of the Summit. Lindenwood came within a couple of points of Marquette last year and they were none too good. So? Think we'd get over the humiliation in a couple of years.

I remember attending a Northern game when I was in college. (Realize that they were NAIA, but this was so long ago that there wasn't a NCAA Division II yet--just college division so humor me). I went because Bob Wachs had a reputation as sort of a proto-Bobby Knight and I was hoping he'd yell at people. There were also obnoxious Northern fans in attendance and that added to the fun. Wasn't disappointed by the overall experience and think the Jacks won by double digits. The game interested me more than games against Nebraska Wesleyan or Tarkio did. Went to those too, because students went to games in the sixties. Almost all games.

Anyway, if Northern would draw another 1500 fans over Presentation it should be done.

The sight lines are worse now because of the change in seating in the lower section. The ncc days the bleachers were lower which allowed the upper section better sightings even we people would stand. Plus their was more seating on the ends under the hanging baskets which allowed better sight lines instead of the new baskets which block those sight lines. Maybe I am old school but wished we used the hanging baskets. You know like duke. their is not a lot of room on their under the baselines.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
    OK-- I'll use that as a segue to making a suggestion that got me some abuse about six months ago.

Why are we playing NAIA schools? Face it, USF, Augie and Northern would at least bring in a few visitor fans. Something that Presentation or Concordia isn't going to do.

I realize that about once a decade or so, a disaster will happen and the Jacks will lose. I think Augustana took Iowa down in Augie's championship year. I saw Northwest Missouri play in their championship year and think they would have been in the top half of the Summit. Lindenwood came within a couple of points of Marquette last year and they were none too good. So? Think we'd get over the humiliation in a couple of years.

I remember attending a Northern game when I was in college. (Realize that they were NAIA, but this was so long ago that there wasn't a NCAA Division II yet--just college division so humor me). I went because Bob Wachs had a reputation as sort of a proto-Bobby Knight and I was hoping he'd yell at people. There were also obnoxious Northern fans in attendance and that added to the fun. Wasn't disappointed by the overall experience and think the Jacks won by double digits. The game interested me more than games against Nebraska Wesleyan or Tarkio did. Went to those too, because students went to games in the sixties. Almost all games.

Anyway, if Northern would draw another 1500 fans over Presentation it should be done.
    I agree with you but we play those teams for a all but guaranteed win which is no different than the P5 schools do.

I think attendance will improve with Frost upgrades, but 50% over the long term? Hopefully you're right.

People in this area just don't seem to be that interested in going to games. Look at the SDSU Pentagon games, has one ever sold out in an awesome arena that only holds about 3,000? What's the excuse there? I know we're way better, etc, etc, but how about USD's case? They went from an arena FAR worse than current Frost to one that will likely be better than new Frost and they still have to cook the books ORU-style to show anything resembling decent attendance. We used to say "winning will take care of it", but that's clearly not the case, nor is top-level talent. It will be interesting to see what the Frost upgrades and talent of a player like Grill can do.

To get try and get the thread back on track.... I agree with whomever said UNI is a realistic target for what we hope to see SDSU basketball become.

I think some of the issues come from where SDSU draws its fanbase from. It's hard for me to drive up from Sioux Falls on a Thursday night, after school, basketball practice, etc. Only games I go to anymore are Saturday games.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

I go to the economics of it too. People's disposable income is not getting better. And what money a lot of fans have is competing with multiple other entertainment options getting tickets for the family and food and gas etc is not a cheap night out. Also like other have said I have for years. It's a culture. It takes decades to change a culture. Ndsu football didn't happen overnight. Same with Montana football programs. Look at verm and Yankton. That region is loaded with cornhusker fans they haven't been good in 20 years but people go to their games everyyear since that's what they did for decades. I know a lot of usd fans and students who never went to a usd game but would go to multiple Nebraska games a year. Yes it's a bit different Example but it's part of growing up in their culture.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    You mean when we were in the NCC and played local schools on Saturday nights? Hmm... I wonder why we had higher attendance then.
    Friday and Saturday night doubleheaders should absolutely be on the table. Summit League scheduling is simply awful. It can be done when visiting making certain trips but others would be tricky. The problem is that there are only a couple of schools in the league that actually have a chance to draw a good crowd so the majority doesn't care. That majority already has butt hurt that we have the "home crowd" for the Summit Tourney. However, if they cared about how much their student-athletes are missing school, the cost of extra nights on the road, or helping boost attendance it is an easy call. Oh, and I don't want to hear about how that is too quick of a turnaround. They don't mind asking them to play three days in a row at the SLT.

Potential Friday/Saturday trips:
    SDSU & USD
    NDSU & UND
    PFW/ & WIU
    Omaha & /UMKC or Augie (if they join)

Denver and Oral Roberts would be tough so you might have to make that trip into Friday and Sunday games.

Fans could come to Brookings Friday night, get a room, and head home after the games or stay a second night and leave on Sunday.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post

We play a couple of those games as exhibitions which is pretty common. The problem is getting D1 teams to come to Brookings. Forget about P5 conferences, they have no interest in it. It doesn't matter how good of a team that we have. At the moment, losing to SDSU is a bad look in the eyes of their fanbases. Losing to Gonzaga wouldn't hurt, that would be considered a quality game, right? Thus, the numerous pages of this thread. I've talked to the coaches about this. When you have a group of seniors like we did last year that went something like 66-3 at home in their four years, yeah, they aren't real fired up about a Brookings trip. Coaches would say maybe after Wolters is gone and then say no way because of Daum. Until SDSU becomes a good game on the schedule (RPI, in eyes of other schools fanbase and coaches) it will remain to be a big time challenge.

So, we're kind of a victim of our own success.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!