Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gonzaga territory?

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
    That's why I would say we are closer to Butler than Gonzaga at this point in our transition.

With the talent the team has on the floor and the right combination of match-ups, I can see this team making a run like Butler.

To be in the same air as a Gonzaga, or even a Wichita State, we will need years of those runs.
    This...alot of this

Comment

I still assert we're still aspiring to Murray State-hood (or pretty much any school that wins the Valley), being a legitimate threat to win a first round game and in an exceptionally strong year advance to the Sweet 16.

Next target, if we manage to climb THAT hill, would be to be a VCU/George Mason, solid mid-majors who get on a roll to have a "cup of coffee" in the Final Four (if "cup of coffee in the Final Four" is in any way a sane or reasonable phrase at all.) (Valley schools may legitimately be considered to be in this category, I guess, along with Mountain West schools and maybe one or two other "high-mid-majors.")

Then there's the Gonzagas/WSU's/Butlers, who have graduated from mid-major-dom to being legitimate "major" basketball schools. That's a high, high, high, high mountain to climb.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

To be fair, the first one to mention Gonzaga and Butler was the author of the article. He also stated something like SDSU is “starting on that trajectory”. Starting. If the next five years match or exceed the last five we’ll be in great shape. I sure hope the casual fans take notice and get on board because without that there’s a limit to how far this can go.

Only four days to go until the team takes the court in Canada. Hopefully there’s a way to watch, but I’ll be surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          I still assert we're still aspiring to Murray State-hood (or pretty much any school that wins the Valley), being a legitimate threat to win a first round game and in an exceptionally strong year advance to the Sweet 16.

Next target, if we manage to climb THAT hill, would be to be a VCU/George Mason, solid mid-majors who get on a roll to have a "cup of coffee" in the Final Four (if "cup of coffee in the Final Four" is in any way a sane or reasonable phrase at all.) (Valley schools may legitimately be considered to be in this category, I guess, along with Mountain West schools and maybe one or two other "high-mid-majors.")

Then there's the Gonzagas/WSU's/Butlers, who have graduated from mid-major-dom to being legitimate "major" basketball schools. That's a high, high, high, high mountain to climb.
          To be honest, I don't think that there is much difference between the Murray State's of the world and where Butler is currently. The only reason that we put them so high is because of a run they made years ago. I would say that SDSU would have a 50/50 shot of beating them on a neutral site.

I would say that SDSU is already in the "legitimate threat" arena. The issue that SDSU is now having is not flying under the radar any longer. The VCU/George Mason teams were able to somewhat "surprise" folks on their runs. If SDSU makes it to the tournament again this season, my guess is that they will once again be the fashionable upset school.

I don't know if SDSU will ever make it into Gonzaga territory as not many schools do. When a university can basically dump their athletic budget into one area, they are bound to be more successful.
          -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

The story is also from Barstoolsports. They have some pretty funny stuff but journalism isn’t really their thing.
            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              The story is also from Barstoolsports. They have some pretty funny stuff but journalism isn’t really their thing.
              Yes, they tend to put "Gonzaga" type click/read-bait material in their articles so people will read.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                Yes, they tend to put "Gonzaga" type click/read-bait material in their articles so people will read.
                The fact that they continue to use Gonzaga as the litmus test us really unfair to the schools. I mean, look at how this thread basically went from "look how far we have come" to "look how far we still have to go."

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                  The fact that they continue to use Gonzaga as the litmus test us really unfair to the schools. I mean, look at how this thread basically went from "look how far we have come" to "look how far we still have to go."

I agree. If we would ever be compared to Gonzaga we would also be compared to Duke,Kansas,etc....they are all the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                    I agree. If we would ever be compared to Gonzaga we would also be compared to Duke,Kansas,etc....they are all the same.
                    Dont forget Villanova. They only have 10k or so in enrollment.

Comment

Man, I love the Jackrabbits, and it would be awesome if that was how they were eventually thought of.

But they are nowhere close to that, yet. Gonzaga has had sustained success for over a decade.

Butler, has been very good. (shoot I remember when they almost beat Mike Miller's Florida team in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament), then 2 straight Championship games, and Chris Holtmann (now at Ohio State) had them playing VERY well, his last 2 seasons there... I think they were the last undefeated D1 school one of those years.

Pump the brakes a bit. Don't mean to be a downer. But the program has a LONG way to go to be mentioned with those schools.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                        Man, I love the Jackrabbits, and it would be awesome if that was how they were eventually thought of.

But they are nowhere close to that, yet. Gonzaga has had sustained success for over a decade.

Butler, has been very good. (shoot I remember when they almost beat Mike Miller's Florida team in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament), then 2 straight Championship games, and Chris Holtmann (now at Ohio State) had them playing VERY well, his last 2 seasons there... I think they were the last undefeated D1 school one of those years.

Pump the brakes a bit. Don't mean to be a downer. But the program has a LONG way to go to be mentioned with those schools.
                        All it says is that we're on that trajectory. YOU don't be a downer, man.

For real though, if we can keep going to the dance and keep recruiting like we have been (especially after the renovation of Frost), I don't think it's crazy to see us eventually becoming a team that is expected to make the tournament and even at least win a game or two and make a deep run here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post

I agree with just about everything in this post. In my posts, I certainly didn't mean to imply we are close to being a Gonzaga level program. I agree with you that we have a long, long way to go. In fact, I referenced that in detail in another thread. To get to that level is an enormous undertaking and also requires a lot of good fortune. That being said, I don't think it is unreasonable to look at programs that are at the top of the mid-major game and use them as benchmarks for what we need to do to keep climbing the ladder. It is also possible.

Things have gone exceptionally well for SDSU at the D1 level. Heck, it is almost impossible to overstate the success that SDSU has had in Athletics. I won't list them all, those of us on here are aware. My point is this simply isn't normally the case. For every SDSU like success story there are many, many ugly scenarios where things don't go well at all. The SDSU Men's Basketball program has been extremely successful and we should all take pride in that. Not only the success on the court but the people involved in the program have all given us reasons to be proud. The fact that we are discussing how do we go higher is a pretty nice place to be.

Many people would have never dreamt that we would get to where we are now in success on the fields of play, in the classroom, with facilities, and with fan/donor support. Yet, here we are. I see no reason to not keep dreaming a little more.

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                            I agree with just about everything in this post. In my posts, I certainly didn't mean to imply we are close to being a Gonzaga level program. I agree with you that we have a long, long way to go. In fact, I referenced that in detail in another thread. To get to that level is an enormous undertaking and also requires a lot of good fortune. That being said, I don't think it is unreasonable to look at programs that are at the top of the mid-major game and use them as benchmarks for what we need to do to keep climbing the ladder. It is also possible.

Things have gone exceptionally well for SDSU at the D1 level. Heck, it is almost impossible to overstate the success that SDSU has had in Athletics. I won't list them all, those of us on here are aware. My point is this simply isn't normally the case. For every SDSU like success story there are many, many ugly scenarios where things don't go well at all. The SDSU Men's Basketball program has been extremely successful and we should all take pride in that. Not only the success on the court but the people involved in the program have all given us reasons to be proud. The fact that we are discussing how do we go higher is a pretty nice place to be.

Many people would have never dreamt that we would get to where we are now in success on the fields of play, in the classroom, with facilities, and with fan/donor support. Yet, here we are. I see no reason to not keep dreaming a little more.

SUPERBUNNY
                            Spot on!

Comment

Bottom line this is probably the most talented team in the history of Jacks Basketball and would be nice to see the fans turn out to support them like the Frost of old!

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                                Bottom line this is probably the most talented team in the history of Jacks Basketball and would be nice to see the fans turn out to support them like the Frost of old!
                                I agree with you but wish I could be more optimistic about it happening. We have had great success recently but has not had the big increase in attendance I would of hoped for. Basketball tailgating at first glance may seem a bit odd but why not? It may take some out of the box thinking to get this done. With the facilities and resources we have something could be done maybe? With the weekend games on this years schedule it lends itself much better for some type of pre game party. I attended a Purdue game this past year and their student section called the "Paint crew" is incredible! I'm not sure how they do it but they have it going! So how do we do it?

Comment

Working...
                                X