Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gonzaga territory?

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    Bottom line this is probably the most talented team in the history of Jacks Basketball and would be nice to see the fans turn out to support them like the Frost of old!
    Be nice to consistently have the largest attendance in the state anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post

I find it difficult to compare attendance between DI and DII. SDSU had awesome attendance when they were DII. DII tickets probably cost less than half of DI, they play tons of teams within a 6 hour drive, they normally play doubleheaders on back to back nights, etc... There are other things like more games on TV. You can see many SDSU games on TV but I don't think you see anywhere near as many Northern games on TV.
      Yes, SDSU is putting a better product out there but there are many other things that the DI move did to make things more difficult for the common fan. I'm not saying that the DI move bad but it is just different.
      I don't know if SDSU or USD bring students to the games. I can not tell you why that is.
      Some schools go by tickets sold (ORU) and others go by more actual attendance.
      I'm trying not to get this to be smack but there are just so many factors.

Comment

Regardless of the additional challenges brought on by going DI many of which you have cited above there is no excuse for being outdrawn by the area DII schools. I do think more weekend games and additional double headers will help. It's interesting I used to miss the doubleheaders, but now sitting for two games is a struggle.
        Last edited by JACKGUYII; 08-08-2018, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
          I agree. If we would ever be compared to Gonzaga we would also be compared to Duke,Kansas,etc....they are all the same.
          No. Just, no.

Count the Final Four appearances of Duke and KU. (31) Then count Gonzaga's. (1). They are not all the same. Gonzaga has just as many Final Four appearances as George Mason, Western Kentucky, Wake Forest, Penn State and Princeton.
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
            No. Just, no.

Count the Final Four appearances of Duke and KU. (31) Then count Gonzaga's. (1). They are not all the same. Gonzaga has just as many Final Four appearances as George Mason, Western Kentucky, Wake Forest, Penn State and Princeton.
            Thank you, KUlaw, for steering this conversation back to reality.

We Jacks' fans haven't learned to handle success or high expectations very well.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
              consistent Thursday Saturday scheduling would take care of a lot of the attendance issues. The Summit need to figure that out, if we need a 10th, go get one that isn't located in Sioux Falls

Comment

We are a long ways from being Gonzaga (they recruit at a level right below the Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and UNC); still quite far away from the Butler, Wichita State, and Creighton (look at what conferences they're in), and within striking distance of a Murray State type program.

The good news is that most of these programs were at the point the Jackrabbits currently find themselves within the last few decades, so we shouldn't shun the idea that we can continue to improve our lot.

The one commonality I've noticed between the teams that jumped above the mid major classification is that these programs were consistently good for at least a decade and then catapulted themselves into the national picture with a great tournament run or two. Butler, Creighton, and Wichita used their momentum to get invites to better conferences, while Gonzaga elevated their entire conference and prove themselves against one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country year in and year out.

With a little luck, maybe we'll make the kind of run necessary to boost our prestige and then capitalize on it as well.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                  We are a long ways from being Gonzaga (they recruit at a level right below the Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, and UNC); still quite far away from the Butler, Wichita State, and Creighton (look at what conferences they're in), and within striking distance of a Murray State type program.

The good news is that most of these programs were at the point the Jackrabbits currently find themselves within the last few decades, so we shouldn't shun the idea that we can continue to improve our lot.

The one commonality I've noticed between the teams that jumped above the mid major classification is that these programs were consistently good for at least a decade and then catapulted themselves into the national picture with a great tournament run or two. Butler, Creighton, and Wichita used their momentum to get invites to better conferences, while Gonzaga elevated their entire conference and prove themselves against one of the toughest OOC schedules in the country year in and year out.

With a little luck, maybe we'll make the kind of run necessary in which we can capitalize on as well.
                  I'd add to that statement: None of those schools play scholarship football (except Murray). I don't think you can be a Gonzaga/Butler/Creighton type and play football at anything that resembles a competitive level. And if the choice comes down to basketball or football, I'd rather put our eggs in the football basket.

We are close to breaking through in the tournament. One win and the right matchup in the round of 32 and we're a Sweet 16 team. We're on the right path. We just need to get over the hump. We've already had several teams capable of doing that in the past several years. Now we just need to get it all together at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                    I'd add to that statement: None of those schools play scholarship football (except Murray). I don't think you can be a Gonzaga/Butler/Creighton type and play football at anything that resembles a competitive level. And if the choice comes down to basketball or football, I'd rather put our eggs in the football basket.

We are close to breaking through in the tournament. One win and the right matchup in the round of 32 and we're a Sweet 16 team. We're on the right path. We just need to get over the hump. We've already had several teams capable of doing that in the past several years. Now we just need to get it all together at the right time.
                    Villanova. They have a very good football program with a fairly recent FCS natty. It can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

A couple of other very minor commonalities is they are in metros of 1/2 to 2.5 million, put 10 to 18,000 in their arenas and had basketball budgets 2 to 3 times ours even in their mid major days.

There is a whole lot more to the equation than a couple of fortunate runs in the dance.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                        Villanova. They have a very good football program with a fairly recent FCS natty. It can be done.

Villinova is a good example. UNI/SFA/UTC all have or have had good football programs and have also won some games in the tournament. No doubt the historic Philly rivalries and Big East label have helped Nova become what they are in basketball. I'd also add that their football success is in spite of their facilties, which are average at best. No idea how well they pay their football staff, but having their coach there for 20+ years definitely helped them build a good program.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Tibbs View Post
                          Villinova is a good example. UNI/SFA/UTC all have or have had good football programs and have also won some games in the tournament. No doubt the historic Philly rivalries and Big East label have helped Nova become what they are in basketball. I'd also add that their football success is in spite of their facilties, which are average at best. No idea how well they pay their football staff, but having their coach there for 20+ years definitely helped them build a good program.
                          I think their bigger issue is fan support making the facilities not much of a need. Anyways, the UNI example would be more of a similar situation.

Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                            I think their bigger issue is fan support making the facilities not much of a need. Anyways, the UNI example would be more of a similar situation.

the biggest issue is $$$$$. Look up what Gonzaga pays the coaching staff. We could be Gonzaga but can we add 200,000 people to brookings,cut the football program and pump millions into the basketball program? Or better yet would the people be willing to do so? I'm not trying to be a wet blanket here but who are you going to compare Gonzago to? Witchita State is in the same category as they are considered mid major only because of the conference they are in. I'm all for striving to be more and better but.... I agree with the UNI comparison and they are not close to Gonzaga.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                              There is a whole lot more to the equation than a couple of fortunate runs in the dance.
                              That's why I mentioned being a good program for a decade plus. Sustained success usually brings with it more fan and booster support, which in-turn brings in more money to pay for coaches, facilities, and amenities. You have to have a solid foundation to build something great, and we have to continue to lay the ground work so we can take advantage of future opportunities when they present themselves.
                              If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                              - Steven Wright

Comment

Just win, baby, and the other issues will take care of themselves.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X