• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Recruits

Iowa had their state tournament this weekend

From TheWombat on The Guillotine forum:

Jackrabbit recruiting update after the Iowa state tournament:

120A Daniel Kimball finishes second to Adam Allard. He finishes his career a 1x champ and 2x finalist. He finishes his season with a 43-2 record with his two loses coming by decision to Allard (who has been in and out of the rankings) and #15 Cullen Shriever.

160AA Skyler Noftsker wins his first championship with a 39-1 record (lost a close one to a guy who he later beat). He ends his career a 3x placer, 2x finalist and 1x champ.

160AAA Cade Devos wins state with a 37-0 record (26 pins) making him a 2x champ and 3x finalist. He'll finish his career ranked 12th nationally by flo.

285AA Spencer Trenery wins state with a 50-0 record (34 pins). He went 7th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st over his career never wrestling a match below heavyweight. Currently ranked 8th by flo.

https://forum.theguillotine.com/sdsu...9943-s170.html
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      How about that. From thundering north no doubt. A good get. From the article, we beat out Bison.0
      Pretty solid kid but not an impact guy at the D1 level. Watched Sehr from Canton beat him in Aberdeen a month or so ago.

Comment

Some notes from the South Dakota state tournament:

120 B: Kaden Keiser (9) looked pretty good winning his 1st title as a freshman in controlling fashion. He's nobody to freak out about but somebody to watch.
        126 B: Braden Sehr (10) picked up his 2nd title showing consistency but not dominance. He may be the benefactor of less than stellar competition in state.
        132 B: Kellyn March (11) is the real deal. He pinned all of his four opponents in less than a minute. He is a must get for the Jacks as he will go into his senior season hoping to get his 4th title.
        138 B: McCoy Peterson (9) has got to be injured as he was the definitive favorite early in this year but he lost some strange matches today and forfeited out.
        145 B: Caden Lamer (12) picked up his 5th state title dominating a game Jackson Eklund (11). Both were extremely explosive and showed a lot of aggression on the feet. Caden won on mat awareness and positioning. I'm happy to see Lamer coming to SDSU next year and I wouldn't mind seeing Eklund coming behind him next year, he has a lot of tools and can be good with the right coach.
        152 B: Alex Aesoph (12) was very aggressive and physical in his 2nd title match. He's not top-flight by any means, but he could be a good DI project or DII contributor.
        160 B Sam Kruger (10) has placed at every state tournament since he took 2nd in 7th grade, it's good to see him end up on top of the podium beating a very game Lucas Bietz (12).
        182 B: Caleb Orris (12) was someone that I was excited to watch having researched him a fair amount before the tournament. I've cooled on him significantly after watching his finals match. He seems to like to put himself in bad position to try to pull of funky moves and I just don't see that working in college.
        138 A: Isaac Kinkhammer (10) and Lucas Anglin (11) both looked very good showing showing good discipline and positioning I could see either of them doing well at the next level.
        152 A: Cooper Voorhees (11) looked very good in his finals match controlling the pace and scoring on a lot of takedowns, he may be someone to watch.
        160 A: Damion Schunke (9) won his first title after taking 3rd as an 8th grader. He showed a lot of skill and he is going to be very good when his learns to control his growing body more effectively and thickens up a bit.
        182 A: Jacob Schoon (12) pinned all four of his opponents in the first period finishing the year undefeated with a %100 bonus rate. He's a Brookings native at a weight of need, should be an obvious target.
        195 A: Owen Warren (9) won 195 as a freshman, that is... unusual for a freshman. Definitely someone to watch going forward. With the right coaching and focus, he will certainly end up wrestling on the next level.
        285 A: Nash Hutmacher (11) did Nash Hutmacher stuff, good luck to him in the NFL.

In Summary:

Current commits: Caden Lamer (12)
        Top 2019 prospects: Jacob Schoon (12), Alex Aesoph (12)
        Top 2020 prospects: Nash Hutmacher (11), Kellyn March (11), Lucas Anglin, Cooper Voorhees (11), Jackson Eklund (11)
        Top 2021 prospects: Alex Kinkhammer (10), Braden Sehr (10), Sam Kruger (10)
        Top 2022 prospects: Damion Schunke (9), Owen Warren (9), Kaden Keiser (9), McCoy Peterson (9)
        Last edited by TheWombat; 02-23-2019, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

120 B: Kaden Keiser (9) looked pretty good winning his 1st title as a freshman in controlling fashion. He's nobody to freak out about but somebody to watch.
          126 B: Braden Sehr (10) picked up his 2nd title showing consistency but not dominance. He may be the benefactor of less than stellar competition in state.
          132 B: Kellyn March (11) is the real deal. He pinned all of his four opponents in less than a minute. He is a must get for the Jacks as he will go into his senior season hoping to get his 4th title.
          138 B: McCoy Peterson (9) has got to be injured as he was the definitive favorite early in this year but he lost some strange matches today and forfeited out.
          145 B: Caden Lamer (12) picked up his 5th state title dominating a game Jackson Eklund (11). Both were extremely explosive and showed a lot of aggression on the feet. Caden won on mat awareness and positioning. I'm happy to see Lamer coming to SDSU next year and I wouldn't mind seeing Eklund coming behind him next year, he has a lot of tools and can be good with the right coach.
          152 B: Alex Aesoph (12) was very aggressive and physical in his 2nd title match. He's not top-flight by any means, but he could be a good DI project or DII contributor.
          160 B Sam Kruger (10) has placed at every state tournament since he took 2nd in 7th grade, it's good to see him end up on top of the podium beating a very game Lucas Bietz (12).
          182 B: Caleb Orris (12) was someone that I was excited to watch having researched him a fair amount before the tournament. I've cooled on him significantly after watching his finals match. He seems to like to put himself in bad position to try to pull of funky moves and I just don't see that working in college.
          138 A: Isaac Kinkhammer (10) and Lucas Anglin (11) both looked very good showing showing good discipline and positioning I could see either of them doing well at the next level.
          152 A: Cooper Voorhees (11) looked very good in his finals match controlling the pace and scoring on a lot of takedowns, he may be someone to watch.
          160 A: Damion Schunke (9) won his first title after taking 3rd as an 8th grader. He showed a lot of skill and he is going to be very good when his learns to control his growing body more effectively and thickens up a bit.
          182 A: Jacob Schoon (12) pinned all four of his opponents in the first period finishing the year undefeated with a %100 bonus rate. He's a Brookings native at a weight of need, should be an obvious target.
          195 A: Owen Warren (9) won 195 as a freshman, that is... unusual for a freshman. Definitely someone to watch going forward. With the right coaching and focus, he will certainly end up wrestling on the next level.
          285 A: Nash Hutmacher (11) did Nash Hutmacher stuff, good luck to him in the NFL.

In Summary:

Top 2020 prospects: Nash Hutmacher (11), Kellyn March (11), Lucas Anglin, Cooper Voorhees (11), Jackson Eklund (11)
          Top 2022 prospects: Damion Schunke (9), Owen Warren (9), Kaden Keiser (9), McCoy Peterson (9)
          Great post! Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Did I see that nash won in 9 seconds? That's pretty good. We are going to be hearing about him for a long time.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post

In Summary:

Outstanding breakdown. Some good information in there.

A couple of things/comments:
              Schunke is going to be aiming "higher than SDSU". I know it doesn't make sense to me because DI is DI in wrestling, but that is the sense I get.
              If Schoon is a senior and wanted to wrestle in college next year wouldn't he already be signed somewhere? Serious question because I don't know.
              The Warren kid from Yankton is gonna be fun to watch. I caught a glimpse of him last year when he wrestled in Brandon and I couldn't believe he was an 8th grader.
              I think Klinkhammer and Anglin would both be good targets to get in the room.

Comment

I don't really thinks "D-1 is D-1." It's pretty clear that, for the most part, the Big 10 is a whole different level. Guys who can have decent careers in the MAC or the Big 12 wouldn't bat .250 wrestling as a regular starter on a lot of Big 10 teams. That being said, I actually think there are a lot of advantages to staying out of the Big 10 grind. Bodies stay healthier and, if you're not IMAR or Nolf, you actually get a few "breathers" some weekends that you rarely would get in a Big 10 lineup. I think Schunke shows some promise and I think every kid should have goals and strive for them but he's not even really a D1 prospect at this point. As for Klinkhammer and Anglin, I think they are definitely worth having on the roster of a D1 team like SDSU but I really don't see them as "scholarship" recruits for a D1 program.

Comment

Originally posted by Figure Four View Post
                  I don't really thinks "D-1 is D-1." It's pretty clear that, for the most part, the Big 10 is a whole different level. Guys who can have decent careers in the MAC or the Big 12 wouldn't bat .250 wrestling as a regular starter on a lot of Big 10 teams. That being said, I actually think there are a lot of advantages to staying out of the Big 10 grind. Bodies stay healthier and, if you're not IMAR or Nolf, you actually get a few "breathers" some weekends that you rarely would get in a Big 10 lineup. I think Schunke shows some promise and I think every kid should have goals and strive for them but he's not even really a D1 prospect at this point. As for Klinkhammer and Anglin, I think they are definitely worth having on the roster of a D1 team like SDSU but I really don't see them as "scholarship" recruits for a D1 program.
                  Thanks for the response. I am really looking forward to the future and seeing how this all plays out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My hope is that SDSU will be "higher than SDSU" by the time that Schunke graduates. SDSU is a fully funded DI program that has great coaches and is in a power conference. In addition to that, SDSU has a lot of great pieces in place. The way that Hahn recruits and retains his wrestlers, they will likely be a perennially ranked team in the next few years. They'll never be Penn State, but he can succeed in Brookings. That said, SDSU isn't for everyone and I wish him the best of luck wherever he lands. South Dakota has a bad habit of producing stud wrestlers that never give college a try, we need more South Dakotans out there showing the rest of the state that it can be done.

Comment

South Dakota has a history of producing a lot of wrestlers that have ability but refuse to test themselves in places where they might get beat. The bottom line is that if you want to prove yourself as a legitimate D-1 you need to get in your car and head to Fargo in the summer and see how you stack up against the best in the country. This is especially true for kids like Schunke who are still Cadet age. He's in the Sioux Falls area where he can get all the freestyle help he needs. I'd love to see our better kids start stepping up and taking that challenge. There's no shame in going to Fargo and getting beat out. A lot of good wrestlers do. Guys like Nate Rotert got themselves nationally ranked by making a habit out of entering and having some success in that tournament. I'd love to see more of it.

Comment

South Dakota has a history of producing a lot of wrestlers that have ability but refuse to test themselves in places where they might get beat. The bottom line is that if you want to prove yourself as a legitimate D-1 you need to get in your car and head to Fargo in the summer and see how you stack up against the best in the country. This is especially true for kids like Schunke who are still Cadet age. He's in the Sioux Falls area where he can get all the freestyle help he needs. I'd love to see our better kids start stepping up and taking that challenge. There's no shame in going to Fargo and getting beat out. A lot of good wrestlers do. Guys like Nate Rotert got themselves nationally ranked by making a habit out of entering and having some success in that tournament. I'd love to see more of it.
                        Legends of Gold in Beresford (Terry and Cody Pack; Josh Nolan) are getting a lot of regional wrestlers exposure both at national and international competitions.

Comment

So much truth to this. I live near Kearney, NE and in the last two years the Bearcats have produced three multi-time state champions. All three competed in the Fargo Nationals the last few years. One rose to the top during the last two Fargo Nationals and opened the eyes of many elite programs. Philip Moomey recently won his third state championship and was a Fargo champion and runner-up in the two styles last summer. The year before he didn't win it all, but when he had a top recruit from Penn State beat and lost in the closing seconds in Fargo, he had SDSU's staff recruiting him hard the last two years. This summer he beat that Penn State recruit and many others and ended up signing with Cornell last month. The other two prep wrestlers were both two-time state champions from Kearney and both will wrestle for the Division II power University of Nebraska - Kearney. The difference between getting the big time offers and competing for the local DII school was based on their performances in Fargo. One was a national champion, the other two were Fargo All-Americans, but did not compete in the finals at Fargo.

Comment

I can't argue with any of your points above. I guess what I meant when I said "DI is DI" is that they all go to the same tournament and have the same opportunities for success in the postseason. If your goal is AA or a natty you can get there from SDSU. I really like your point about the Big 10 being tough but also a grind and wearing kids down by the end of the season. (See Missouri Valley Football)

Also, I am still waiting on some insight into Schoon from Brookings. It would be cool to see a hometown kid succeed on the mats to follow the locals that had success on the hardwood & gridiron. (Carlson & Daniel)

Good stuff. Keep it coming if you have more.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                              I can't argue with any of your points above. I guess what I meant when I said "DI is DI" is that they all go to the same tournament and have the same opportunities for success in the postseason. If your goal is AA or a natty you can get there from SDSU. I really like your point about the Big 10 being tough but also a grind and wearing kids down by the end of the season. (See Missouri Valley Football)

Also, I am still waiting on some insight into Schoon from Brookings. It would be cool to see a hometown kid succeed on the mats to follow the locals that had success on the hardwood & gridiron. (Carlson & Daniel)

Good stuff. Keep it coming if you have more.
                              He said to me on Sunday at the SDSU dual that he was planning on going to SDSU and wrestling

Comment

Caldwell and Hahn with the "It's a great day to be a Jackrabbit" tweet. Caldwell had hashtag #homegrown so assuming Schoon verballed.

Comment

Working...
                                X