Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 Recruits

Originally posted by bennymj171 View Post
    He said to me on Sunday at the SDSU dual that he was planning on going to SDSU and wrestling
    Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It's official, Schoon is a Jackrabbit. I'm really excited about this pickup for a lot of reason:

1. He's local: if we can make him a success he can serve as a case study to show other South Dakotans that they can do well here without being nationally ranked. He'll also grow wrestling in the area by giving young wrestlers someone to look up to and potentially giving back to his high school program some day.
      2. He's a 184: we will need someone to step up and fill in after Mueller graduates and I see Schoon as being very similar to Mueller. I also feel confident that we can make him successful with the staff that we have at this weight.
      3. He's raw: This guy is nowhere near his peak. He's a multiple sport athlete who doesn't wrestle year round and is successful despite that. He's athletic, but his body has a ways to go before it's in optimal shape. When he gets bigger, stronger, and better, he might be very good. I feel like he has a lot of room to improve physically and technically if he buys in and puts in the work. Once again, I see a lot of parallels to Mueller.
      4. He seems like a decent human being: From the interviews that I've seen and what I've read, he seems like he has the right temperament and attitude to do well. He's going to go from undefeated to getting his butt kicked every day for a very long time; it takes the right kind of person to grow under these conditions.

Comment

Wombat are you saying Mueller is moving back to 184 next year?

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
          Unless Mueller returns to last year's form, he may be in a tough spot at either 184 or 197. Both Tanner Sloan and Zach Carlson have been wrestling well and won't be easy to get around.

Comment

I really hope Mueller can get healthy and return to successful form. I’m a Rapid City guy so I pull for him but it’ll be interesting with Sloan and Carlson next year as mentioned by bigticket.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Unless Mueller returns to last year's form, he may be in a tough spot at either 184 or 197. Both Tanner Sloan and Zach Carlson have been wrestling well and won't be easy to get around.
              Very true. My thinking was Mueller move down to 184 and Carlson move down to 174 (he wrestled a few times last year at 165 so I thought 174 may be doable for Zach).

Comment

Originally posted by TheWombat View Post
                It's official, Schoon is a Jackrabbit. I'm really excited about this pickup for a lot of reason:

1. He's local: if we can make him a success he can serve as a case study to show other South Dakotans that they can do well here without being nationally ranked. He'll also grow wrestling in the area by giving young wrestlers someone to look up to and potentially giving back to his high school program some day.
                2. He's a 184: we will need someone to step up and fill in after Mueller graduates and I see Schoon as being very similar to Mueller. I also feel confident that we can make him successful with the staff that we have at this weight.
                3. He's raw: This guy is nowhere near his peak. He's a multiple sport athlete who doesn't wrestle year round and is successful despite that. He's athletic, but his body has a ways to go before it's in optimal shape. When he gets bigger, stronger, and better, he might be very good. I feel like he has a lot of room to improve physically and technically if he buys in and puts in the work. Once again, I see a lot of parallels to Mueller.
                4. He seems like a decent human being: From the interviews that I've seen and what I've read, he seems like he has the right temperament and attitude to do well. He's going to go from undefeated to getting his butt kicked every day for a very long time; it takes the right kind of person to grow under these conditions.
                Schoon is a really good pickup. I agree 100% on the upside and athleticism part of it. On top of that, talented heavier guys are hard to find. Simaz and company should be able to mold him pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  Only if he wants to start. Sloan looks like an All-American already. I hope to hear that Mueller and Carlson are both moving down but I know that Hahn isn't a big fan of cutting weight. We'll see what happens

Comment

Only if he wants to start. Sloan looks like an All-American already. I hope to hear that Mueller and Carlson are both moving down but I know that Hahn isn't a big fan of cutting weight. We'll see what happens
                    Any insight to why Marty has struggled so much this year? Is it simply the fact he moved up a weight? Injury? A combination?

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      Any insight to why Marty has struggled so much this year? Is it simply the fact he moved up a weight? Injury? A combination?
                      I had heard he was injured somewhat, perhaps someone else can confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                        I had heard he was injured somewhat, perhaps someone else can confirm.
                        Correct, he had a concussion earlier this season and he is currently fighting through what appears to be a rather serious rib injury. Those are the ones that have been publicly acknowledged. The change in weight class could also an effect on him.

Comment

Correct, he had a concussion earlier this season and he is currently fighting through what appears to be a rather serious rib injury. Those are the ones that have been publicly acknowledged. The change in weight class could also an effect on him.
                          I don’t think it is the weight class change, he gets concussed the first tournament, and then hurts his rib (ribs) the first tournament after he gets cleared from the concussion, and I don’t think he has been able to get back mentally to the same spot as he was as last year, and at the D1 level and you are not completely able to block out the injuries (which is extremely hard) that is the difference being an NCAA qualifier and not being one

Comment

News from Minnesota:

Jackrabbit recruits Trayton Anderson and Cade Kind finished up their high school careers yesterday. Anderson won his first state tournament having taken 4th, 2nd, and 3rd earlier in his career. His lone loss on the season was to Charlie Pickell of Mankato who he has beaten this year. King took second to Zach Glazier (all five of his losses this year were one point losses to Glazier). He finishes his career a three time finalist and one time champion.

Minnesota is pretty well picked over in terms of high school senior recruits, but there are a few of interest. Jeron Matson is a very skilled 120 pounder who is a three time champion, but there seems to have been a conduct problem that kept him out of the state tournament last year. Cole Fibranz has been consistently good at 220, placing high the past three year and even winning it once, but I feel like he's been doing this for so long at such a high level without breaking through that he may not improve much in college. Kyle Cavanaugh is a two time state champ at 138 and 145, what I can find on him indicates that he could be good but he doesn't have a lot of quality opponents and he doesn't wrestle in national tournaments so he's hard to gather information on. Seth Brossard came out of nowhere and won the 145 A bracket with a major in the finals against a highly-touted opponent. He missed last year's state tournament due to the same conduct problem that Jeron Matson (his teammate) dealt with but he seems to be good. If we are going to try to snag anyone out of this tournament Cavanaugh is probably it. He's done well, he's a three sport athlete and he's a small town kid. I don't know a ton about him but I think he might do well here.

Also of note, Colton and Clay's cousin Cael Carlson (say that three times fast) won his second state title yesterday. He is committed to Minnesota but he's looking at some real horses in front of his to crack the starting line-up (Brayton Lee and Ryan Thomas) and top-flight back-ups don't last long there. I think there's a chance that he ends up a Jackrabbit one day either from flipping his commitment or from transferring after a year of two when he sees the writing on the wall.

Comment

News from Minnesota:

Jackrabbit recruits Trayton Anderson and Cade Kind finished up their high school careers yesterday. Anderson won his first state tournament having taken 4th, 2nd, and 3rd earlier in his career. His lone loss on the season was to Charlie Pickell of Mankato who he has beaten this year. King took second to Zach Glazier (all five of his losses this year were one point losses to Glazier). He finishes his career a three time finalist and one time champion.

Minnesota is pretty well picked over in terms of high school senior recruits, but there are a few of interest. Jeron Matson is a very skilled 120 pounder who is a three time champion, but there seems to have been a conduct problem that kept him out of the state tournament last year. Cole Fibranz has been consistently good at 220, placing high the past three year and even winning it once, but I feel like he's been doing this for so long at such a high level without breaking through that he may not improve much in college. Kyle Cavanaugh is a two time state champ at 138 and 145, what I can find on him indicates that he could be good but he doesn't have a lot of quality opponents and he doesn't wrestle in national tournaments so he's hard to gather information on. Seth Brossard came out of nowhere and won the 145 A bracket with a major in the finals against a highly-touted opponent. He missed last year's state tournament due to the same conduct problem that Jeron Matson (his teammate) dealt with but he seems to be good. If we are going to try to snag anyone out of this tournament Cavanaugh is probably it. He's done well, he's a three sport athlete and he's a small town kid. I don't know a ton about him but I think he might do well here.

Also of note, Colton and Clay's cousin Cael Carlson (say that three times fast) won his second state title yesterday. He is committed to Minnesota but he's looking at some real horses in front of his to crack the starting line-up (Brayton Lee and Ryan Thomas) and top-flight back-ups don't last long there. I think there's a chance that he ends up a Jackrabbit one day either from flipping his commitment or from transferring after a year of two when he sees the writing on the wall.
                              Picked over and a bit thin on D1 talent compared to years past. With that said I'm interested to see the rise of Shakopee HS with Jim Jackson at the helm. He built Apple Valley into a National Powerhouse but then stepped away for personal reasons but is now back and building a superpower in Shakopee which will be nice for Hahn and Co. to have a monster program 4 hrs away. I did see they were out in New Jersey for their HS or Prep state meet. Have to imagine Hahn and Simaz have some real nice connections at Blair Academy and the other private and prep powerhouses in that state. I'm not big on big on pure speculation but Clay Carlson will be interesting to watch if he does indeed get buried on their roster.

Comment

So I was about to ask if anyone knew if Danny Vega was for sure apart of the program and after doing a google/twitter search it very much looks like he is. In fact Coach Caldwell is taking him and Tanner Sloan to do a wrestling clinic in June. Really hope this kid stayed in shape. Looked him up on ISU's site and on paper looks good, would love to see him upgrade us at 125 next season!

Awards and Honors
                                2017 Duhawk Open (Fourth Place)
                                2016 UNK Holiday Inn Open Champion
                                2016 Cyclone Open (Sixth Place)
                                2016 Grand View Open (Fifth Place)

2016-17
                                Redshirted his initial season at Iowa State… went 14-7 while wrestling unattached… placed at all four open tournametns he went to… took fourth place at the Duhawk Open… finished as champion at the UNK Holiday Inn Open… earned a sixth-place finish at the Harold Nichols Cyclone Open… began the season with a fifth-place outing at the Grand View Open… closed the year with three pins, six technical falls and three major decisions.

High School
                                Posted a 181-3 record while wrestling for Tim Berrier at Ironwood Ridge High School in Oro Valley, Ariz… three-time Arizona State Champion… two-time Fargo Freestyle National Champion… Fargo Grecco National Champion… three-time Folkstyle National Champion.

Comment

Working...
                                X