2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

Schmidt not even on the O-Line 2-deep? Injury or just not showing up after being out of football for too long?

Snyder captures a starting spot at safety. Despite camp reports, I find this interesting to see. Grad-transfers are such a basketball thing... I assume they don't typically work out as well in FB.

R-Fr and True-Soph starting d-tackles. If they are effective, this bodes incredibly well for the next few years.

Comment

PB is no measuring stick so don’t burn a game like this on a true freshmen. If the freshmen is really that good play him in MVFC games. Blowout shows Zero. The third and forth team can beat PB

Comment

If the best chance to win is true freshmen then the depth is not very good. Playing a true freshmen up to four games without losing that year of eligibility is tricky. I would not play them in a blowout or against ISU and NDSU unless he is your starter for the year then it does matter on saving his fifth year of eligibility. If you need a true freshmen the first four games then he isn’t even considered one of this borderline guys and the new rule on redshirt players isn’t the question as the player will play in all the games. Injuries and depth means playing as a true freshmen because these players are not generally ready for college football.

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
          Schmidt not even on the O-Line 2-deep? Injury or just not showing up after being out of football for too long?

Snyder captures a starting spot at safety. Despite camp reports, I find this interesting to see. Grad-transfers are such a basketball thing... I assume they don't typically work out as well in FB.

R-Fr and True-Soph starting d-tackles. If they are effective, this bodes incredibly well for the next few years.
          Schmidt is puzzling?
          Seven and Backus as an or is intriguing. I wonder if they don't both play in passing situations and Cox comes out.
          Snyder was 3 time All Academic Big Ten so I figured he would catch on to the defense.
          Love the depth at WR, corner, and safety

Comment

Originally posted by SlapJack View Post
            I wouldn't necessarily make that assumption. Some schools use them often and have really good success with it. There are a lot of really good football players that go to big schools and get buried in the depth chart and want playing time.

Comment

Backhaus might not even start? Our defense is so deep. This bodes well, as it's a long season and I think part of the problem with our 3rd down woes may have to deal with tired players due to short depth.

Comment

Originally posted by Hareofthedog View Post
                PB is no measuring stick so don’t burn a game like this on a true freshmen. If the freshmen is really that good play him in MVFC games. Blowout shows Zero. The third and forth team can beat PB
                I think you might be missing part of the merit to the new redshirt rule: you can get freshmen on the field in situations that are not out of neccesity and get them valuable playing time and experience. As of 2018, a freshmen can now play 4 1/3 seasons in their college career. If you can get them some experience in year one without burning a redshirt, they'll be that much farther ahead for their first year of actual eligibility. No one is advocating starting true freshmen ahead of an upperclassman unless it's absolutely warranted. ABP will be a great game to get some freshmen experience playing the college game in a low risk scenario (should be a blow out) without losing their redshirt year. Getting kids some playing time their first year is also bound to help with attrition from year 1 to 2. Why would you wait to test a kid during a league game when there's more at stake rather than play him in a game that's already decided so you see how ready he is for the college level of speed and competition? I think we'll see many true freshmen see the field late in the APB game, and that's a good thing. If some happen to shine in that outing, maybe add them to the depth chart if needed for another game or two.

Comment

To state that if the trues play it means we don't have very good depth is a misnomer. I believe it's more of a testament to the level of recruit we are able to bring in now. I'll attribute that directly to facilities. There are starters from 5-6 years ago that would be 2nd and 3rd stringers now. Depth, that is what we have needed all along to compete. Listen to the coaches on the position breakdowns and look at WSR's 2 deep. I think there are so many guys that are in line to start that we legitimately have 32-34 starters on the squad and as many 2nd stringers. Heck there are probably guys rated second string now that won't make the travel squad of 64. All this and remember who we graduated and have also lost to injury that were meaningful contributors. The coaches have a new issue to deal with, ensuring that playing time is doled out enough to keep everyone happy. I also think the starters now realize the talent on the sidelines and won't hesitate to come out when winded and in need of rest.

Regarding transfers, specifically Snyder...we win here. He will be a leader and contributor and our back end will be as strong as it's ever been. We need it to be, because the D-line will need to do damage for us to shut down the run. Only one game really concerns me there, 9/29. The Bison theoretically have 4 starting quality running backs on their team, 5 if you count Stick. The D-line will need to earn it that week and if we meet them later in the year.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
                    Offensive breakout players. http://jackrabbitillustrated.blogspo...-watch_23.html

The biggest thing from this is that Eddie won the right guard battle and Blake Kunz will be the first freshmen to play this season. The coaches plan to give him some run in the first four games and see if he will play all season or not.
                    This new rule seems to have options. Maybe the next thing is redshirting is eliminated and everyone gets 5 years of eligibility. Who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by Jackedforlife View Post
                      To state that if the trues play it means we don't have very good depth is a misnomer. I believe it's more of a testament to the level of recruit we are able to bring in now. I'll attribute that directly to facilities. There are starters from 5-6 years ago that would be 2nd and 3rd stringers now. Depth, that is what we have needed all along to compete. Listen to the coaches on the position breakdowns and look at WSR's 2 deep. I think there are so many guys that are in line to start that we legitimately have 32-34 starters on the squad and as many 2nd stringers. Heck there are probably guys rated second string now that won't make the travel squad of 64. All this and remember who we graduated and have also lost to injury that were meaningful contributors. The coaches have a new issue to deal with, ensuring that playing time is doled out enough to keep everyone happy. I also think the starters now realize the talent on the sidelines and won't hesitate to come out when winded and in need of rest.

Regarding transfers, specifically Snyder...we win here. He will be a leader and contributor and our back end will be as strong as it's ever been. We need it to be, because the D-line will need to do damage for us to shut down the run. Only one game really concerns me there, 9/29. The Bison theoretically have 4 starting quality running backs on their team, 5 if you count Stick. The D-line will need to earn it that week and if we meet them later in the year.
                      YSU seems like they’re going to be extremely run heavy this year as well. Doesn’t sound like their qbs are great passers and Webb I think already got hurt this fall camp, along with several other players for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post
                        if you could bet on our regular season win total, I think the line would be set right at 8.
                        This aged well, along with all the others that predicted us at 8-3 (assuming we would have lost to Iowa State. Not that we would have for sure... If we played them late this season, I think we win, first game would have been tough though)

Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                        I think its all going to come down to our QB. With that said, I would guess 7-4, or 6-5. The schedule is tough. Call me a hater, but I am not confident in what he can do, without a change in the system. Make him run more, take your chances he doesn't get destroyed is our only option IMO. His passing accuracy isn't very good.
                        This didn't age so well though. Especially the last part. #badtakesfordays

Comment

The part about his passing accuracy probably isn't too far off base. The last 6 games he is somewhere around 55%...that is nothing to write home about.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                            The part about his passing accuracy probably isn't too far off base. The last 6 games he is somewhere around 55%...that is nothing to write home about.
                            55% isn't great if its 65 degrees and a light breeze...the last 5 games think of that weather, cold, windy, rainy, snowy or a combination of all of that. I'd say the fact he's over 50% is pretty incredible all things considered. the other fact is in last five games...the team is 5-0 with the closest game being 38-28 in Normal. I'll take 55% in those weather conditions all week long and twice on Saturdays.
                            Last edited by Jackedforlife; 12-05-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

55% isn't great if its 65 degrees and a light breeze...the last 6 games think of that weather, cold, windy, rainy, snowy or a combination of all of that. I'd say the fact he's over 50% is pretty incredible all things considered. the other fact is in those last six games...the team is 6-0 with the closest game being 38-28 in Normal on a cold day.I'll take 55% in those weather conditions all week long and twice on Saturdays.
                              I was working outside right up until game time Saturday. The thought of anyone throwing a rock-hard football on target more than 5 yards seems absurd. Catching it is just about as impressive.

Comment

55% isn't great if its 65 degrees and a light breeze...the last 6 games think of that weather, cold, windy, rainy, snowy or a combination of all of that. I'd say the fact he's over 50% is pretty incredible all things considered. the other fact is in those last six games...the team is 6-0 with the closest game being 38-28 in Normal on a cold day.I'll take 55% in those weather conditions all week long and twice on Saturdays.
                                There were three of the last 6 games at home. TC had 12, 12 and 15 completions in those 3 games. He had 13, 18 and 25 completions at the road games. The Southern Illinois game was cold but the others road games had nice weather. He only had 13 completions in the Southern Illinois game. I think they don't have him throw the ball so much when the weather is cold, windy, rainy, snowy or a combination of all of that.
                                TC also throws about 3 passes a game that only travel about 2 yards. Johnson catches those passes and takes them to the house. TC does have about 3-5 long completions/game but his other passes are probably within 10-15 yards of the line of scrimmage. Those passes do travel farther than that since they go out to the sidelines but they are not normally down the field. I do not think this is bad because we are 6-0 in those games but that is what I think has been happening.
                                TC averages about 290 pass yards/game for conference road games (this includes that NDSU game). TC on the other hand only averages about 176 pass yards/game for the home games since conference play started (this includes the Duquesane game). We have had rough weather at home so they don't have him do as much.
                                TC is playing good ball and we are winning so I hope whatever is happening keeps happening.

Comment

Working...
                                X