2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

FWIW, the defense kicked the **** out of the offense today. The defensive line is going to be just fine OR our offensive line has taken a major step backward. I guess we really won't know until September 1st roles around.
    Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Originally posted by WestSideRabbit View Post
      FWIW, the defense kicked the **** out of the offense today. The defensive line is going to be just fine OR our offensive line has taken a major step backward. I guess we really won't know until September 1st roles around.
      I'm guessing Coach Eck wasn't happy with the performance of his hogs.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Defense is always ahead of the offense. That’s no surprise. But I am certain we will see how our d line will hold up against Iowa St, since their main offensive weapon is their stud rb from what I gather.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

I'm just going to go out on an unpopular limb here.

1. I didn't look this up, but it seems like the decline in our rushing defense happened around the same time our offense became more pass happy. I'm not saying that justifies it, and I know and the coaching staff knows that other teams don't necessarily play our style of offense, however, when it's 1's vs 1's... that was what the scrimmaged against.
          2. The "Bend but don't break" philosophy is hated everywhere, by every fanbase. However it minimizes big plays by the opponent.
          3. Yes, at times the team struggles to get off the field on 3rd and long. Guess what, so do other teams. I dare you to find a fanbase that is satisfied with their defensive playcalling and/or effectiveness on 3rd downs. You might find 2 (NDSU and James Madison). It's part of the game.
          4. "Bend but don't break" makes sense to me, with the proliferation of Spread and uptempo offenses we see in the college game. Too much gambling leaves too many guys open to make things bad happen. (or in 1 on 1 situations, with no help)
          5. The injuries are unfortunate, but they happen. They happen everywhere. NDSU lost 2 different All American type players the last 2 seasons. It's football. People get hurt.
          6. To think that I know more, than the defensive staff, who have studied film and tendencies, and scouted every opponent is ludicrous. (And I'm not calling out anyone here, I'm sure there are many who know much more about this stuff). I'm just saying you won't hear me complaining about the playcalling. On either side of the ball.

OK, I'm done. The team hasn't even played a game yet, and we're already piling on the defense.

Comment

If you want to be considered a really good defensive team ,then in a third and long situation the first down marker and beyond should be "no mans land" for your opponent ,they shouldn't be able to even get close to the marker,without being "smothered" by defenders,I don't see it with us, so it's probably the wrong "scheme" we are using with the personnel we have ,in my mind anyway, JMO. I agree,with the posters who say wait and see first though, there might not be a problem this season at all.
            Last edited by jackdaniel; 08-07-2018, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
              3. Yes, at times the team struggles to get off the field on 3rd and long. Guess what, so do other teams. I dare you to find a fanbase that is satisfied with their defensive playcalling and/or effectiveness on 3rd downs. You might find 2 (NDSU and James Madison). It's part of the game.
              In 2017 we gave up 3rd down conversions at a 38.7% clip, which is good for 73rd out of 123 teams. I don't mean to "pile on the defense", but it's definitely an area for improvement.

Comment

I heard there was 3 NW Iowa boys in the backfield most of the day. lol Defensive line will be the key to how good this defense will be. I like to hear that the d-line is holding there own early on. Health up front will probably the most important area as I don't think we have the depth that we'd like with the summer departure and injuries.

Comment

I think that our defense is going to be pretty good this year. If our d-line can improve it will be the difference between pretty good and great IMO.

Comment

Hero Sports has put out their preview for the Jacks. They seem to think a bit more highly of the defense than the offense with them returning more key players and the offense sending people to the NFL.

https://herosports.com/fcs/football-...ota-state-bzbz
                    Rollin' in my 5.0
                    With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
                    Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

This appears to be a deep and talented team with lots of potential. Cut the new guys some slack. Bashing a unit just because we're not yet familiar with a couple of names is silly.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

• 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

Here’s an interesting thing to wonder about. With the new 4 game rule for redshirting do we see Gibbs get some mop up action throughout the season, if he’s as good as advertised? Would TC have a year left if the rule had been in place 4 years ago? Guess I should look that up myself, but if Gibbs is all he’s cracked up to be I would think we would want him to get some snaps this year to get a handle on the speed of the game and whatnot.

After looking it up TC played way over the 4 game mark, but maybe the coaching staff handles it differently with Lujan if the rule had been in place.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post
                          Here’s an interesting thing to wonder about. With the new 4 game rule for redshirting do we see Gibbs get some mop up action throughout the season, if he’s as good as advertised? Would TC have a year left if the rule had been in place 4 years ago? Guess I should look that up myself, but if Gibbs is all he’s cracked up to be I would think we would want him to get some snaps this year to get a handle on the speed of the game and whatnot.

After looking it up TC played way over the 4 game mark, but maybe the coaching staff handles it differently with Lujan if the rule had been in place.

This rule is definitely going to make blowouts more exciting. It's probably going to make for some interesting decisions. Do you only play a guy in two games to get him some experience and see what he's got, that way if there's a short term injury, you could potentially use the other 2 games for that and still call it a redshirt year. I am excited to see Gibbs in action though. Nice to know that it could potentially be this year instead of having to wait a whole year.

Comment

Originally posted by thumper_76 View Post

Eidsness speculated that it would have been different and that they wouldn’t have burned a year.
                            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Eidsness speculated that it would have been different and that they wouldn’t have burned a year.
                              Oh what could have been. Ooh well, life goes on.

Another note, reading your line preview, our o line is gigantic. Seems to be the Badger influence on Eck.

Comment

Big shoutout to you btw for keeping the football news coming during fall camp while our beat writer is off fangirling over an amateur baseball tournament.

Comment

Working...
                                X