Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 230

Thread: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Fargo
    Posts
    1,593

    Default 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    This season will be a very exciting one IMO due to the amount of unknowns we have in replacing the obvious departures in star power but still having a core of some good veteran players returning and some exciting young talent coming up. On top of that the entire FCS landscape is filled with a lot of unknowns compared to the previous year IMO while the MVFC specifically is at minimum filled with questions outside of NDSU and honestly looks like it could be a bit of a down year. What does everyone think will happen? Beyond that, what are your expectations for this year to be a success?
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Dell Rapids, SD
    Posts
    2,811

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by thumper_76 View Post
    This season will be a very exciting one IMO due to the amount of unknowns we have in replacing the obvious departures in star power but still having a core of some good veteran players returning and some exciting young talent coming up. On top of that the entire FCS landscape is filled with a lot of unknowns compared to the previous year IMO while the MVFC specifically is at minimum filled with questions outside of NDSU and honestly looks like it could be a bit of a down year. What does everyone think will happen? Beyond that, what are your expectations for this year to be a success?
    Imo, the benchmark is 8-3. 9 wins or more is a success (and would get us a seed). 7 wins or less is a failure (even if we get in the playoffs with 6 or 7 wins).

    Looking at the schedule, it seems like 9-2 should almost be the benchmark, but I lowered it by one because there are a lot of unknowns and you don't know how young/inexperienced players are going to step into big roles. The only games I'm actually worried about would be @ ISU, @ NDSU, and @ UNI. With the way our home schedule shaped up this year, I would be really disappointed with any home loss. Montana State was the only one I was worried about, but with the turmoil they're dealing with, we had better be 6-0 at home this year. If not, #firestig #fireallthecoaches #firesell #shutdownSDSU.

  3. #3

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    In addition to the road games listed in the above post as a concern, I'd throw in @ISUr. We don't play well there, at all. We've had better luck in Cedar Falls lately. In theory, we should go 6-0 at home this year, but the last time that happened was 2012. I have a gut feeling we will slip up against someone we shouldn't. I think we'll be 8-3, with an equal chance at 9-2 or 7-4. If we are 8-3 with a win over Iowa State or Ndsu, I think we get a 7/8 seed.

    I also agree that this is going to be a down year for the Valley as a whole. My guess is 4 teams in the playoffs, and one is seeded. I'd guess that those 4 teams will be SDSU, NDSU, WIU, and UNI. If our D can become consistent, and our O can find a way to remain productive, I see no reason that this isn't a playoff team. We have a lot of maturity on the defensive side of the ball this year, especially in the back end, and I think that'll be a factor in our success. We also developed a very decent run game last year, and if we can build off of that this season, we'll be in good shape.

    If the Jacks make the playoffs and are unseeded, I would guess that they'll be matched up in the first round with either SUU, Idaho, NAU, or the Pioneer champ (if it isn't San Diego), with the winner going to either Fargo or Ogden to play Weber (who I think will be a top 4 seed).

    If we get a low seed, I think we get fed to Fargo after hosting a game, and if we get a top 4 seed, we will be given the 4 to eventually play in Fargo in the semifinals. I think all roads lead to Fargo this year.

    That's what I think will happen.

    My three hot takes:
    1) For the second year in a row, neither school from Montana makes the field
    2) JMU is an unseeded at large in 2018
    3) SIU finishes above USD in the Valley

    All of those are likely incorrect, but I thought I'd throw them in anyways...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Brookings, Co
    Posts
    486

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    I think its all going to come down to our QB. With that said, I would guess 7-4, or 6-5. The schedule is tough. Call me a hater, but I am not confident in what he can do, without a change in the system. Make him run more, take your chances he doesn't get destroyed is our only option IMO. His passing accuracy isn't very good.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Dell Rapids, SD
    Posts
    2,811

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    I think its all going to come down to our QB. With that said, I would guess 7-4, or 6-5. The schedule is tough. Call me a hater, but I am not confident in what he can do, without a change in the system. Make him run more, take your chances he doesn't get destroyed is our only option IMO. His passing accuracy isn't very good.
    You don't think by chance that the most recent game you watched has anything to do with your take, does it? Here's a link for you to check out. https://www.davemanuel.com/investor-.../recency-bias/

    Even when you include the JMU game, Christion's stats are still pretty good (58% completion percentage, 35 TDs to 14 INTs, 147.6 Efficiency rating). Because it was such a bad game, in terms of statistics it brought him back to the middle of the pack in the MVFC and around the top 20 in the FCS. Keep in mind that most of the other QBs only had 10-12 games on their statistics, while Christion had 14 and played against much tougher competition into the playoffs.

    Now, you take out the JMU game, and Christion's stats are really good (60% completion percentage, 33 TDs to 8 INTs, 155.7 Efficiency rating). This brings him up in the top 2 in the MVFC and top 10 in the FCS. If that isn't good enough for you, then I feel sorry for you, because you're going to have a lot of disappointment in your life.

    Yes, he had a bad game against JMU, but our O line got absolutely dominated in that game. Christion had nowhere to run and was under constant pressure. There's a reason JMU went to the championship. The only thing that could beat JMU was a solid ground and pound offense (NDSU). Between their D line and D backs, a team that relied on the passing game was going to have a tough time against them. Here's to hoping we can find a nice balance this year, as we have a good stable of RBs. Hopefully our O line is up to the task. I'm guessing Eck will have them ready to go. Our 2017 average of 176 rushing yards per game isn't enough. We need to average over 200 for sure, maybe even 225 to be successful this year. That will help open up the passing game as well.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    5,379

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    If QB is our weakness, we are either screwed or everything else turned out perfect. I think the majority of losses will be defense related. Again, I think we'll struggle to generate any sort of pressure up front and will have trouble getting off the field on third down. If we have a weakness on offense, it will be the line. Since I'm an eternal pessimist, I'll predict 7 wins. Hope I'm wrong again!
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,768

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    You don't think by chance that the most recent game you watched has anything to do with your take, does it? Here's a link for you to check out. https://www.davemanuel.com/investor-.../recency-bias/

    Even when you include the JMU game, Christion's stats are still pretty good (58% completion percentage, 35 TDs to 14 INTs, 147.6 Efficiency rating). Because it was such a bad game, in terms of statistics it brought him back to the middle of the pack in the MVFC and around the top 20 in the FCS. Keep in mind that most of the other QBs only had 10-12 games on their statistics, while Christion had 14 and played against much tougher competition into the playoffs.

    Now, you take out the JMU game, and Christion's stats are really good (60% completion percentage, 33 TDs to 8 INTs, 155.7 Efficiency rating). This brings him up in the top 2 in the MVFC and top 10 in the FCS. If that isn't good enough for you, then I feel sorry for you, because you're going to have a lot of disappointment in your life.

    Yes, he had a bad game against JMU, but our O line got absolutely dominated in that game. Christion had nowhere to run and was under constant pressure. There's a reason JMU went to the championship. The only thing that could beat JMU was a solid ground and pound offense (NDSU). Between their D line and D backs, a team that relied on the passing game was going to have a tough time against them. Here's to hoping we can find a nice balance this year, as we have a good stable of RBs. Hopefully our O line is up to the task. I'm guessing Eck will have them ready to go. Our 2017 average of 176 rushing yards per game isn't enough. We need to average over 200 for sure, maybe even 225 to be successful this year. That will help open up the passing game as well.
    Rep points given. I was too lazy to look up the stats but I'd take our QB over any other FCS QB in the country right now. Like, it isn't really even close.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Dell Rapids, SD
    Posts
    2,811

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by CappinHard View Post
    if you could bet on our regular season win total, I think the line would be set right at 8.
    This aged well, along with all the others that predicted us at 8-3 (assuming we would have lost to Iowa State. Not that we would have for sure... If we played them late this season, I think we win, first game would have been tough though)

    Quote Originally Posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
    I think its all going to come down to our QB. With that said, I would guess 7-4, or 6-5. The schedule is tough. Call me a hater, but I am not confident in what he can do, without a change in the system. Make him run more, take your chances he doesn't get destroyed is our only option IMO. His passing accuracy isn't very good.
    This didn't age so well though. Especially the last part. #badtakesfordays

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Yankton
    Posts
    4,128

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    Here's how I would handicap it:

    11-0 2% chance
    10-1 8%
    9-2 15%
    8-3 25%
    7-4 25%
    6-5 15%
    5-5 (or worse) 10%

    The difference between going 7-1 and 5-3 in the MVFC games is typically a couple luckly (or unlucky) bounces of the ball. The margin for error is pretty small among the top five teams. I obviously hope for more, but it would be hard to complain about 8-3 with a couple playoff wins considering the NFL talent we lost.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Dell Rapids, SD
    Posts
    2,811

    Default Re: 2018 Season Expectations and Predictions

    Quote Originally Posted by Southeast View Post
    Here's how I would handicap it:

    11-0 2% chance
    10-1 8%
    9-2 15%
    8-3 25%
    7-4 25%
    6-5 15%
    5-5 (or worse) 10%

    The difference between going 7-1 and 5-3 in the MVFC games is typically a couple luckly (or unlucky) bounces of the ball. The margin for error is pretty small among the top five teams. I obviously hope for more, but it would be hard to complain about 8-3 with a couple playoff wins considering the NFL talent we lost.
    Now this is what I'm talking about... next step... place some bets with guys on here that think we're going 7-4 or 6-5... How about it 98Jackfarmer?

    Here is how I see it, which is pretty close to yours, just more middle weighted and not so bottom weighted. With our home schedule, I find it very hard to believe we go 5-6 or even 6-5.:

    11-0 2% chance
    10-1 8%
    9-2 20%
    8-3 40%
    7-4 20%
    6-5 8%
    5-6 (or worse) 2%

    Put it this way... if you could bet on our regular season win total, I think the line would be set right at 8.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •